Torchwood not certain for Australia

Loner

Bernard Black wannabe
Come on, get out all you time-wasting bastards! Ba
If you're an Aussie and are interested in seeing Torchwood on the ABC, you'd better let the ABC know!
In response to an email asking if they would be showing Torchwood they said:
"The ABC does not have the rights to broadcast this series, however please be assured that I will forward your comments to the Television Programming Department so they are aware of audience demand for the program."

So please let the ABC know that there is "audience demand" for Torchwood and we might have a better chance of seeing it on free to air TV. :)
You can email them at : ABC TV - Contact Us

I like living in Australia, I just wish I had a satellite dish. Or a sonic screwdriver so that I could tweak my telly and pick up the beeb.

I hope people contact the ABC and politely request that they show Torchwood. I know some people who are just planning to download it. I'd really rather the ABC get the viewers :rolleyes:

I want to discuss it with people on Chronicles and have Torchwood viewing parties! I'm staring beadily at you, Loner ;)

I know some people who are just planning to download it. I'd really rather the ABC get the viewers :rolleyes:

Yeah, that's not good for anyone (except the people downloading it).

I want to discuss it with people on Chronicles and have Torchwood viewing parties! I'm staring beadily at you, Loner ;)

Stare away Giggs! I think it's more fun to have an episode per week and discuss it in between, than to watch it all in one sitting and be overwhelmed and not have time to think about all the details of an episode. :)

Last edited:
I think it's more fun to have an episode per week and discuss it in between, than to watch it all in one sitting and be overwhelmed and not have time to think about all the details of an episode. :)

I concur! I love the anticipation between eps and the opportunity to gossip and speculate on what's to come.

BTW, Torchwood sounds like a corker in that respect. Only it sounds as though we'll be guessing which characters will be developing sexual tension from week to week.

God, I love the fact that it sounds so hilariously seedy :D

Just the two of us!

Clearly people fear our antipodean superiority.

'Tipping the Velvet' and 'Fingersmith' were both pretty explicit. Fab shows, but a bit racy.

I think it's going to come down to the fact that it's a BBC3 show and we mainly buy BBC1 stuff here. Although that could change because I think BBC4 is going to be showing much of those period dramas we love so much down here.

Fingers crossed!

We may be the only ones on this forum, but there are others out there!

The New Doctor Who (BBC & ABC TV 2005 onwards) « ‘The Road Less Travelled’ - Neerav Bhatt

"Will we be seeing “Torchwood” spin-off series in Australia in 2007 and what time-slot as it is starting in UK on BBC3 in Oct 2006…
EDITOR: I hope that ABC TV gets rights to Torchwood, I’ll try and find out and report back here when ABC Corporate Affairs answers my question.
Even if the ABC do buy broadcast rights to Torchwood I suspect it wouldn’t be broadcast in Australia until January 2007 at the earliest because the Australian summer is non-ratings season for TV.

On 05/10/2006 ABC Audience and Consumer Affairs replied:
Dear Neerav,
Thank you for your email.
The ABC has not acquired the rights to Torchwood. Nonetheless, I have passed on your comments to ABC television management so that they are aware of audience demand for this program.
Thank you for your interest in the ABC.
Kind regards
ABC Audience and Consumer Affairs "

Sound familiar?

I have sent three emails to the ABC already and yes, have received the stock standard response. I hope they know John Barrowman is going to be out here in March, they could've tied the whole visit in.

I have sent three emails to the ABC already and yes, have received the stock standard response. I hope they know John Barrowman is going to be out here in March, they could've tied the whole visit in.

Your talents are wasted in that cess-pit!
Why aren't you working for ABC's marketing department?

I only sent two emails but I put the word out to the Nerds. That must count for something.

And what a cess-pit it is. I have actually scanned the ABC and SBS websites for jobs before.

I really need to be a buyer for the programs department. We'd have all the Dr Who series, Torchwood and anything else that takes my fancy. I'd be a benevolent dictator.

Have bought Torchwood Part 1 from Amazon.co.uk cos BBC shop doesn't ship outside the EU. Apparently it'll be released in three parts. Couldn't wait any longer!

If anyone deigns to read this thread and has bought the DVD, let me know if it's any good :)

I wouldnt be surprised of UKTV gets it first. They are advertising DR WHO second series, so maybe the end of the year ?
I woudl guess that most of us who love Dr Who and Torchwood will have either, get friends to send us a copy, bought the DVD or downloaded it well before then anyway.
I have all the episodes and have lent them to friends and everyone I have lent them to have loved them.
One person told me that a friend of theirs is a huge Dr Who fan and didnt know I had all the episodes and I offered to lend them to him when he gets home from his holidays. He will be returning from his holiday in US to 13 episodes of Dr Who from 2005 (and all the declassifieds), 13 episodes of Dr Who 2006 (and allthe declassifieds) and all of Torchwood (and all the declassifieds) + the Xmas specials
Why wait for ABC when you have relatives in UK ?

Damn, woman! That's fantastic! My friend (ladygiggs) has managed to get episodes 1 to 5 of Torchwood on DVD, no extras.

We didn't think there was anyway to get the whole set so far. Apart from ordering from AmazonUK.
DVDs mean I no longer have to trust my dodgy memory. I thought Tennants Dr was pretty good until I watched some Eccelston episodes (thanks ladygiggs! :) ) and realised he beats Tennant hands down. He's just more subtle.

Anyway, don't want to get off topic. You are right I think we will have found other avenues to watch the show before it gets on air over here. And I am certainly no going to get payTV! I'd rather get the DVDs.;)

You, you two arn't the onlyones hoping to get it on ABC. Several of my buddies and I have emaild them as well. A friend recently came back from the UK with vid of the series. Brilliant!