The Draco Tavern

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
Anyone like these stories?

Larry Niven wrote these short stories over a very long period of time (starting in 1977) and I've read them over an almost equally long period. I now have 'The Draco Tavern', which is a compilation of all of them, with a few new ones, and the twenty-six tales make a good read.

If you have never heard of them:
When a tremendous spacecraft took orbit around the Earth's moon and began sending smaller landers down towards the North pole, the newly arrived visitors quickly set up a spaceport at Mount Forel in Siberia. Their presence attracted many, and a few people grew conspicuously rich from the secrets they learned from talking to the aliens. One of these men, Rick Schumann, established a tavern catering to all the various species of visiting aliens, a place he named the Draco Tavern.
Tavern stories or "bar tales", in SFF are a very old idea, much older than Mos Eisley in 'Star Wars', or Terry Pratchett, or even Spider Robinson, but I think these are some of the best around.

Tavern stories or "bar tales", in SFF are a very old idea, much older than Mos Eisley in 'Star Wars', or Terry Pratchett, or even Spider Robinson, but I think these are some of the best around.

Plus you learn how to make Irish Coffee:)

Arthur C. Clarke did some as well, as I remember: Tales from the White Hart. But I love the Niven ones, especially the chirpsithra.

There are some good stories here. Personally I find the short-short story form to be rather frustrating; there just isn't space to really develop a major idea and consider its implications. There are quite a few Big Ideas in these stories, any one of which could spark a fine discussion. Unfortunately, they don't seem to do so.

Unsurprisingly, my favorite of the collection is the longest-- "Table Manners" aka "Folk Tale".

i am not sure if this is the right thread, but, i read a story by niven about a planet called ridgeback. where all the children on the colony were born resembling caveman. can anyone tell the title of this story?

That was "Locusts" IIRC. The children were Home Erectus. Happened on every colony planet and Earth itself. The idea was that "Homo Sapiens" is just a swarm form of Genus Homo.

It was published in Analog sometime in the 1980s. Can't remember the co-author. Wasn't Pournelle