Best game soundtrack?

Talysia

Lady of Autumn
What's the best in-game soundtrack?

Personally, I play a lot of RPGs, so my choices would be biased towards the Final Fantasy series, especially FF7, but what would everyone else choose as the best in-game music?

Think by far Castlevania series has the best soundtracks.
A close runner up is Valkyrie Profile. FF7 was just alright.. think FF8 had abit better songs.

Some may have noticed that videogame soundtracks are often better than movie soundtracks. The reasons range from the freedom granted to game composers to the fact that their egos thankfully aren't the size of a small country.

Silent Hill 2

Wow. The first track, Theme Of Laura, is one of the best pieces of music I have ever heard. Most of the tracks where there's a piano involved are equally impressive. Recommended.

Rez

Rez is one of the most innovative games ever made. On its soundtrack you will find a great selection of electronica by the likes of Oval, Ken Ishii and Mist.

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty

For those of you who enjoyed the music of The Rock or Armaggeddon, this comes higly recommended. Again, the first track is amazing. It makes some people euphoric and others cry.

Jet Set Radio

Nifty tracks from various artists are available on this neat import. Features music from the great underground Japanese band Guitar Vader.

Medal of Honor

This might as well have been written by John Williams. One of the best videogame soundtracks ever.

I also recommend the highly unique soundtrack to Headhunter, by Richard Jacques, and the work of Bill Brown, Rainbow Six series composer.

Final Fantasy VII is an obvious answer, but there are numerous others.
Halo, Rollcage 2, Space Rangers 2 and Simcity 4 are all great.
Transport Tycoon had a nice jazz soundtrack fitting the game setting.
Populous: The Beginning offered some wonderful tribal-like tunes.
Civilization IV has an amazing main theme on the menu screen.

But the winner is most certainly Imperium Galactica II. Electronic, deep space-like ambience; five genuinely haunting pieces speaking of greatness, of mystery and alienness. The kind of music stars would have made if space was filled with air.

I really liked the FFX soundtrack.

Though KH, and KH2 have to have one of the best soundtracks ever.

I'm another one for Silent Hill. And using it in the film was fantastic, so it would also be one of the best film soundtracks as well!

Duke Nukem time to kill(anything with Stabbing Westward wins)
Halo 2
The Silent Hill games
Final Fantasy 6 (if revamped, see Black Mages)
Final Fantasy 7
Castlevania: Symphomy of the night
Valkyrie Profile.
Suikoden 1&2
Metal Gear Solid.
Star Ocean: til the end of time.

FF!! the opening the best and some of the fighting sece music! I want it for my ringtone!

Kaylo Mizuri, I completely agree about Star Ocean: Till the End of Time! Oh, and the music from the Suikoden series, too!:)

For the rock fans out there, I have heard that the Jak X soundtrack is a good buy or, if you have limewire, a worthy download.

Among the different scores, there are a few songs from Queens of the Stone Age on it.

Gotta say the music from Oblivion is incredible. Not a note out of place.

Also, as a major contrast, the soundtrack to Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines is excellent. Lecher Bitch is a great track.

the best soundtrack is of the Zelda game for the Super Nintendo. I mean with that that while i cant for the live of me remember the soundtrack of the games i played lately, whilst i can easily humm the sound you get when Link is running around outdoors, wich is pretty impressive considering i havent played the game for 10-12 years .

Its like The imperial march, it just something you never forget.

Gotta say the music from Oblivion is incredible. Not a note out of place.

Also, as a major contrast, the soundtrack to Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines is excellent. Lecher Bitch is a great track.

The Oblivion music is really good, but if you're sat in a room and someone is playing it, I find it really relaxing and it makes mefall asleep.

Completely random, but what about the black mages albums? Awesome.

Rollcage: Stage 2 has my favourite soundtrack, if just for the opening video.