Stardust

Adasunshine

Everything in Moderation
Well, I've just finished my second reading of this wonderful story and I noticed that there's nowhere to discuss this beautiful piece of writing so I thought I'd open one up.

I know Culhwch shares my enthusiasm for this book but is there anyone else out there? If you read it, what did you like or dislike about it? What character(s) stood out for you? Was Faerie everything you wanted it to be?

Let's get some discussion going. :D

xx

The whole general idea of the story was brilliant, a really good Faerie Tale.
I like the way Tristain progressed and matured through-out the time he was on his quest.

Ever thought about how similar Stardust and Alice in Wonderland are? Both stories of young naïve Victorian children going to a strange and illogical world, coping with the issues that be, growing in character and eventually finding their place in the world. Both written as fairytales, similar in construction and sometimes words.

Quoting Charmed: "The only people who ever come here from your lands are the minstrels, the lovers, and the mad!".

The mad, huh?

Discuss!

I've re-read this book so many times but it's always a lovely read. Sniff! Always manage to cry buckets too despite knowing what is going to happen next. The tale has characters that are so well fleshed out you can see everything happening as you read.

Am very much looking forward to the movie as well. It's got a good cast and was filmed in Scotland and ought to be out soon.

Indeed, I was wary at first of the prospect of the film, but from the pics I've seen, they seem to have captured the feel of the narrative quite well. I hope they don't mess with the end - I fear they may opt for happily ever after over bittersweet.

I think comparing Tristran and Alice is drawing a bit of a long bow. Tristran, after all, is no child at eighteen. It is as much a coming of age story as it is a love story - neither of which I'd say of Alice. Though I'll admit I've not read the book, just seen the movies...

I hope they don't mess with the ending too. It's one of the best things in the book and it's almost the only way the story could end. It makes sense and is bittersweet just like their whole relationship and the choices they made. Happily ever after would just ruin it.

Definitely read the book. It's wonderful, and I'd hate for its impact to be lessened by knowing what was going to happen next. Plus it's quite short, and an easy read...

I also enjoyed the book very much. I think it's always a good idea to read the book first, I regret everytime I did it otherwise. :)

I love this book too, it's a very charming read. :)

I havent read Gaiman bookwise yet.

Is this urban fantasy or set totaly in "fantasy" world?

I am looking to try him bookwise.

It begins in Victorian England, before moving to the lands of Faerie. Great book, but you might also want to try Neverwhere, which is urban fantasy and also a good read.

It's more like a fairytale.

Here's a book description...

Neil Gaiman tells the story of young Tristran Thorn and his adventures in the land of Faerie. One fateful night, Tristran promises his beloved that he will retrieve a fallen star for her from beyond the Wall that stands between their rural English town (called, appropriately, Wall) and the Faerie realm. No one ever ventures beyond the Wall except to attend an enchanted flea market that is held every nine years (and during which, unbeknownst to him, Tristran was conceived). But Tristran bravely sets out to fetch the fallen star and thus win the hand of his love. His adventures in the magical land will keep you turning pages as fast as you can--he and the star escape evil old witches, deadly clutching trees, goblin press-gangs, and the scheming sons of the dead Lord of Stormhold. The story is by turns thrillingly scary and very funny. You'll love goofy, earnest Tristran and the talking animals, gnomes, magic trees, and other irresistible denizens of Faerie that he encounters in his travels.

Thanks guys for the info. It sounds cool. After The War of The Flowers, i am starting to get a fetish for Fairies :eek:

I just read Anansi Boys description in amazon and it sounds VERY interesting.

This bit of the synopisis made decide to read it.

"his father was a human form of Anansi, the African trickster god, and that he has a brother, Spider, who has inherited some of their father's godlike abilities."

Just the idea of an african trickters god is worth trying out.

Not cause i am an african but cause i wonder how he writes an african god.

I thought Anansi Boys was a fun read. Hope you enjoy it Connaver. :)

I hope too since i got an urge to buy it that havent left me yet :)

*Ahem* it's Connavar not Connaver, I dunno who Connaver is but i am named after Connavar the Demonblade ;)

It must have been that silly typo demon possessing my keyboard. :p