What was most saddest thing in the books of R.Jordan ?

Yes. I hope that one and many others are wrapped up in MoL. There are lots of loose ends like that.

Speaking of that, it's kind of surprising to me that there are so many people discussing these things that may or may not be resolved for over a year. :) Just seems ironic. Otoh, there are many other unfinished series, many of which have their own following and discussion. Interesting genre.

Hu the easily amused stableman

The saddest thing happened early in The Eye of the World: When that trolloc in the al'Thor home tricked Rand into nearly being killed by feigning ambiguity.

From there on, I knew this series was going to be unsophisticated, standard-fare Good vs. Evil.

The saddest thing for me has been finnishing the latest volume (insert any volume past 4), then realizing that I may be waiting up to 3 years to read the next installment.
Very sad that!

Losing Moiraine and Lanfear was terrible, Lanfear had been my favourite character since almost the beginning, and Jordan 'killing' off both just like that was terrible.

But yeah, now that a few years have passed since first reading Wheel of Time, I can see that probably the saddest part is the horrid black and white portrayal of Jordan's world. All through books three and four I was holding out for Lanfear to crack and try and join the 'light' side. But nothing ever seems to change, and the Chosen who does join Rand's side for a time dies pretty soon after. Which was horrible for me because I thought he was one of the series' most redeeming traits.

I know it's going to sound a little weak, but I thought the saddest thing in the books of Robert Jordan was when Fedwyn lost his mind and reverted to childhood. Reading that Rand was forced to give Fedwyn a cup with something like poison in it, and holding him until he died, really made me sad.

But then I get sentimental about things like that.

The saddest moment for me was when I read that Robert Jordan was ill with some incureable disease. I am also one of those that thought the story should have ended in, at the most 5 novels, but at the same time you have to give Jordan credit for his work, as it stands it is probably one of the longest stories ever and that has to count for something.

The fact that they were published?

But no its the fact that he got to the third book and saw how much he was making so he padded it out to get more money.

Publisher. "How's the final book coming along in this trilogy?"
Jordan. "I'm almost finished."
Publisher. " Here is the check from your book sales."
Jordan. " Wow thats alot of money....screw the plot im writing twelve."

Yup. That's how I see it. He can write too, that's the shame of it. He started a plot-driven epic story but then ended up having to stretch that plot out after the 2nd book, went too far - to quote a wise hobbit - "like butter spread over too much bread."

The saddest moment for me was when I read that Robert Jordan was ill with some incureable disease. I am also one of those that thought the story should have ended in, at the most 5 novels, but at the same time you have to give Jordan credit for his work, as it stands it is probably one of the longest stories ever and that has to count for something.

spoiler town

Is it just me or does it seem like the last couple novels, especially knife of dreams where only about the events of a few days? There is this huge book but it doesn't go very far towards resolution. I think Jordan is a master of leaving something for the next book and not jumping the shark. But one more book? It bums me out. It kills me because there are so many feasable offshoots of the series that could be written. His use of legends really gets to me. Building anticipation through hints that are dropped sparingly in thousands of pages that may or may not be part of the story a decade from when it was written? I can't find other books with the same detail or even close. There is some fluff, obviously but some things he has done are pretty awesome in scope.

Saddest for me was that Moirane WAS paired up with Thom. I'm sorry, but that just doesn't seem... right to me.

The fact that they were published?

But no its the fact that he got to the third book and saw how much he was making so he padded it out to get more money.

Publisher. "How's the final book coming along in this trilogy?"
Jordan. "I'm almost finished."
Publisher. " Here is the check from your book sales."
Jordan. " Wow thats alot of money....screw the plot im writing twelve."

Quite the cynic aren't we.

I haven't a problem with the length of the series. I'm not the only one that has thoroughly enjoyed it. RJ wasn't writing just to please you.

I have read that his creative process was he planned 50 or 60 major plot points that he wanted to fit into the storyline. He then needed to construct the series to get to each of those points. Apparently the ending was one of the first things he mapped out.

Now perhaps you might think that he could have dropped some of the plot points but I can see how you can't move from one to another without a fair amount of storyline between, otherwise you end up with Eastenders or any one of numerous soaps where so much happens in a short space of time it is totally unbelievable.

You may not consider any of WoT believable but within the world RJ created, the vast majority of it makes perfect sense.

Honestly? I think it's Lanfear's story, especially the end. She seems to so desperately want to change, even if it is just to get Lews Therin back. She remains constantly at the cusp of becoming if not good then at least neutral, of rebelling against the Dark One, yet always remains a prisoner trapped by her own indecision and insecurity, held captive by her own desire to be great and rise above the norm. A wasted talent and beauty, a a true tragic character in the vein of Lady Macbeth.