Lost: Season Three

This was one of the best episodes this season. I wonder what julliet wanted jack to tell Kate? That could be interesting. Everything Ben does is very carefully calculated He has a purpose for Sawyer as well. The last two episodes will be revealing I hope.

Wow, what an episode.

Getting the backstory on Ben was great and I now see him in a different light. Some sympathy, but he still a mass-murderer and a liar.

On Juliet: Is she really switching sides? And why would it be up to Jack to figure out waht to do about the raid? I feel they are still hiding something.

On Locke: Is he dead? I say no, but dying and quickly. The island may save him. Or Ben have been on to something about suggesting maybe Jacob will. I did see something for a split second. The silhoutte of a man. I did hear the "Help me" plea. Now, did Ben expect for Locke not to hear or see anything? Can Ben really communicate with Jacob? Does Ben know of why Jacob would ask for help? He seemed very surprised by Locke answer when he told him what he heard. I think Ben was right that Locke is very special and he knows he is more powerful than Ben.

On the Others: Interesting that Tom or Richard did not do Ben's bidding to stop Locke from beating Mikhael. Do they not like Mikhael or did they want to defy Ben or do they have alot more respect for Locke after he brought back his dead father's body and announced to all that he was going to see Jacob? I say, likely a combination of all of the above. I do have an issue about Richard and why he does not seem to have aged at all from the time he meets Ben as a kid to now. Ben must of been about 11 or 12 in the flashback. He's now late 30's to early 40's. So about 30 year timespan but Richard has not aged. Interesting because they are about the same age (or would be).

Another issue about last night, what woman goes hiking in the woods at 7 months pregnant...really.

Other than that a great episode but a shocking one with Locke getting shot at the end. Just like last season when Ana Lucia and Libby got shot and killed in the second last episode. I think next week is the season finale.

OK that was a very interesting episode. Bens backstory was revieling and I do think there was something in the cabin with Ben and Locke.

I think the others are afraid of Ben and what he can do. They may have been waiting to see how far Locke got with what he was doing. Where did Richard and his group come from. Ben and his father were with Dharma.

I think Jack has some kind of plan and maybe he's using Juliet to spring it. he trusts her to much I think.

I was very curious about Richard, too. Obviously there is some deep significance to his lack of aging. (Actually, I think he looked younger in the scene when he and the other hostiles removed their gas masks than he did when Ben first encountered him years before.) Is it even supposed to be the same man? And Richard, whoever he is, seems to have an entirely separate agenda from Ben -- is it his own agenda, or Jacob's? Just who is he actually taking orders from? Unlike some of the other Others, he was allowed to leave the island, before the sub blew up. Does the fact that he is stranded explain his failure to support Ben now?

I originally read (in TV Guide, I think) that five characters were supposed to die in May, although online sources I've seen since then have said at least five characters, and give the impression that the finale is going to be a bloodbath. However, I'm not sure how authoritative these sources are.

Anyway, when I read that it would be five I started compiling a list of characters I either wouldn't miss or am actually hoping will die. Ben and Locke Sr. were at the top of the hoping-they'll-die list, and among the crash survivors Locke was at the head of the I-can-do-without-them list. I've lost all sympathy for Locke in recent episodes, and I think that his storyline is running out of steam anyway.

So, if it really is just five, I'm glad to see that two of those slots are filled by two of my favorite candidates for extinction (assuming Locke is really dead). But I'm still dreading that there will be more than five, and that too many characters that continue to interest me will be gone by next season, leaving characters I could easily do without still on stage.

On Charlie, I'm wavering between "he's far too obvious a victim, therefore he'll survive" and "after so much foreshadowing, he has to die."

I originally read (in TV Guide, I think) that five characters were supposed to die in May, although online sources I've seen since then have said at least five characters, and give the impression that the finale is going to be a bloodbath.

The bodycount so far:
1) Paulo
2) Nicki
3) Locke's daddy
4) Locke
5) ?

My guess for #5: Juliet

I was very curious about Richard, too. Obviously there is some deep significance to his lack of aging. (Actually, I think he looked younger in the scene when he and the other hostiles removed their gas masks than he did when Ben first encountered him years before.) Is it even supposed to be the same man?

When young Ben meets Richard after going beyond the settlement's energy fence, Richard is wearing a very old-fashioned looking bluish vest of some sort. It made me think of the pirate ship, and made me wonder if Richard might have been one of the pirates long ago.

The fact that the man doesn't age seems connected to the fact that babies who are conceived on the island can't be born. And to the fact that Desmond can see into the future. On the island, time doesn't work as in normally does.

Paolo and Nicki died in March, so I don't think they count as part of the five.

Also, it now looks like Locke didn't die, so neither would he. (Darn it.)

Richard is wearing a very old-fashioned looking bluish vest of some sort. It made me think of the pirate ship, and made me wonder if Richard might have been one of the pirates long ago.

The fact that the man doesn't age seems connected to the fact that babies who are conceived on the island can't be born.

I like that idea. I'm not sure if I subscribe to it, but I definitely like it.

Actually it was an old slaver's ship and not a pirate ship.

And, what about the remnants of some ancient civilizations: the giant foot from last season, the pillar that Ben ties Locke's daddy to...could they be the survivors of the civilization that may have been wipped out by a volcano or something else? Just musing :)

So, now we've seen the two-hour season finale, what do you think?

I'm still thinking that the humans' desires and minds affect the island and what it is/does, and at some point in the past, humans worshipped there because of that (which explains the huge statue we saw in a previous episode, and the reference to a temple in the finale). And I was struck anew by the fact that mothers die trying to give birth on the island, just as Ben's mom died giving birth to him . . . almost as if he passed his trauma on to the island. (Although I still think that it's primarily the temporal conditions on the island that make birth impossible.) The island prefers Locke to Ben because Locke is a better person; Locke affects the island in ways that the island prefers, so Jacob (the island's voice) wants Locke rather than Ben to help him. Locke has a faith in the island that Ben seems to lack, Locke doesn't slaughter his own community as Ben did, and Locke doesn't kill his father (at least, not directly) as Ben did. The island is quicker to heal Locke than to heal Ben.

The bad-father theme seemed even more evident. Ben, Locke, Jack and Claire--all had bad fathers. (Locke's seems the worst, to me.) Kate had a bad stepdad. Over the course of the series so far, we've been invited to compare Ben, Locke, Jack, and Kate's various responses to their bad fathers. This seems like an intended parallel rather than a coincidence.

I'm still thinking that the island gives the humans a chance to work out their issues and become better people. Not as purgatory does, but as we all have a chance to do right now, in our current lives--only the island distills the opportunity.

***SPOILER***

Locke seems to have been correct in telling Jack that he wasn't supposed to leave the island and take the lostaways with him. Bearded-Jack's trauma, drug-addiction, and suicidal tendencies are consequences of having left the island. It's as if he didn't work out his issues--almost as if he never went to the island.

At one point, when Jack is arguing with the doctor who wants to help him, Jack speaks of his father as if he's still alive, still drinking--as if the doctor could go to Jack's dad's office and compare Jack's drinking to his dad's drinking. Is this a sign of Jack being drug-addled or still psychologically messed up about his dad . . . or does it mean that his dad is still alive? And if his dad is still alive, what does that mean about time? Have past events been altered somehow?

And who is in the coffin? My guess is that it's Ben. Jack says he was "neither friend nor family" to the deceased, which describes his relationship with Ben. No one except Jack was at the funeral parlor, which would be the case if Ben were the deceased, because the Others are (I suppose) still on the island. And the person's death seems to have sent Jack into a tailspin, as Ben's death would do, because Jack now seems to believe that Ben was right in not wanting Jack to take the lostaways off the island.

I'm worried about Charlie, who definitely seems to have died, but I'm hoping that the island resurrects him in much the same way as Desmond was resurrected after blowing up the hatch, given that both of them sacrificed themselves trying to help the community. There must be some plot significance to Charlie managing to tell Desmond that the boat was not Penelope's . . . what does Desmond do with that information?

OK, enough rambling from me.

What a cliffhanger. Anyways, so the 5 dead in May are:
1) Locke's Dad
2) Tom
3) Mikhail
4) Charlie
5) Naomi

Personnally, I did not like Charlie's death and felt it was somewhat unessesary although he did it to save Desmond. The confrontation between Ben and Jack was great. I also like seeing Walt telling Locke to get up and get work done. So Jacob did help Locke after all.

I also thought about the reference to his dad twice in the flashback/flashforward. As for the coffin, Jack was very upset about who dies at first. Obviously someone he cared for but that Kate did not care for at all. Was it Sawyer?

Obviously, they will not get off the island until probably the very end. Will next season be the survivors and the others fighting this new faction that Naomi represents who are looking for the island? Was Ben not lying when he told both Mikhail and Jack the same thing? Something tells me he was not lying.

In the recap episode they played last Thursday and last night right before the finale, Carson Cuse and Damon Lindehoof said two interesting things:

1) That the castaways leaving the island would not be leaving the island and that would end of the show.

2) The way these characters have changed will be the real issue when the show ends.

At least Locke's alive...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Lost 0
Judderman Lost 42
TK-421 Lost 13
TK-421 Lost 66
I Lost 5