Humbled by an 11 year old!

Mark Robson

Dragon Writer
I thought you might be amused by this. I was in Cheltenham yesterday doing creative writing workshops with several groups of children from a Junior College. The theme of the workshop was 'How to start a story effectively'. I'm not going to post the entire workshop here, but suffice it to say that one of the things that I try to nail home is that when introducing a new character, a trap that many young writers fall into is to give a whole list of physical characteristics. eg. Joe Smith was a thirteen year old boy with blue eyes and short brown hair etc etc.

For the practical part of the workshop I get different members of the class to offer up 1 - The name of the lead character for a story. 2 - The location that the story begins. 3 - The time of day that the story begins. I then get the class to all begin stories, in whatever genre or style that they feel appropriate, armed with the knowledge that their aim is to work four elements into the first few paragraphs.

1. Introduce the main character.
2. Set the tone of the story.
3. Set the scene.
4. Introduce the main problem/goal/motivation of the main character.

As the sessions are relatively short, I generally only have time to pick out one or two to be read out for analysis by the class. One of the classes came up with the following parameters: Character - Germuntrude Jones! (Where do they think of their names?) Location - In a wood. Time - Dusk.

I will try to repeat the start given by the boy that I picked at random from the class. Please bear in mind that this is from rough memory, but it really was this good, and though the humour is childish, it certainly appealed to the class and was technically very well written. Worse, I had to backpedal hugely about the use of lists of physical attributes!

Germuntrude Jones: the fattest girl in the entire school. She had thin, straggly red hair, a bulbous nose, fat lips and spots. In short, she was ugly. Really ugly. And right now, she was crying, which made her face blotchy.

Germuntrude ran from the girls' changing rooms in a waddling sort of way, panting as she struggled across the sports field and into the wood on the far side. With her chest heaving, she flopped down on a pile of leaves in the deepening shadows under the trees. It would be dark soon. No sooner had her body settled than she heard a sound behind her. A small squirrel had fallen out of the tree and broken it's neck. It was dead. Hungry after her run, Germuntrude picked up the unfortunate creature and started chewing on it absently.

'Everyone hates me,' she thought. 'I can't help being fat. It's the way I am.'

Unfortunately, it was true. The boys made fun of her because of her obesity. The girls were disgusted by her because of her tendancy to let out long wet farts in the showers...

I think you probably get the picture. The boy's surname - Fleming. And yes, you guessed it - he's related to Ian Fleming. It seems the creative flair runs in the family!

I should add that as I left the classroom, one of the other teachers from the school approached the teacher of Master Fleming's class and I with a big grin on her face and asked, 'Did you tell him about Fleming?'

The class teacher just laughed and said, 'I didn't have to. Mark chose to read his work out to the class and found out the hard way.'

How big do you think I felt? :eek:

Heh, didn't you just feel like spanking him? An interesting incident, and an illustration that rules are to be broken - as long as you have a good idea why you're breaking them.

Nayce...

Teachers can be cruel as hell sometimes, but I never realised they were cruel to other people as well as their students! :D

That is a very cool story deffinatly one to re-tell at dinner parties or if you meet him accepting his booker prize later on in life!

caladanbrood said:
Do you do a lot of these "creative workshops" then Mark?

Yes, I try to visit as many schools as I can. At the moment I don't charge, as I'm already paid well by the RAF and I'm not out to pry money unnecessarily from school budgets. Once I go 'full time' after the summer holidays, I plan to visit at least one school per week during term time. My fees will be modest - £150 for a full day, £100 for a half day, plus something towards my travel expenses if the school is outside of a 15 mile radius from where I will be living.

I don't think I will struggle to find schools willing to pay this, as most authors charge a lot more and I have been told I am a very 'dynamic and charismatic speaker'. I do a variety of different types of talks to pupils depending on what schools want. I do run writing workshops for small groups, but for the last two days I have been giving talks on personal motivation and goal-setting to groups of up to 150 pupils at a time. I really enjoy doing it, and my enthusiasm and energy is catching. I always tell schools to make the most of my time and programme me for as many sessions as the day will allow. It is punishing on the voice, but I'm getting used to it.

Lacedaemonian said:
Teachers are generally the worst people in society.
Oh here we go again.
Generally, I thought the worst people in society were, umm, like, the criminals and stuff.
Where do you get these thoughts from?

By the way - great story Mark, that was really funny - sorry I didn't mean to deviate from the thread with my first remarks here!

Mark Urpen said:
Yes, I try to visit as many schools as I can. At the moment I don't charge, as I'm already paid well by the RAF and I'm not out to pry money unnecessarily from school budgets. Once I go 'full time' after the summer holidays, I plan to visit at least one school per week during term time. My fees will be modest - £150 for a full day, £100 for a half day, plus something towards my travel expenses if the school is outside of a 15 mile radius from where I will be living.
Modest fees ? I've got to emigrate to UK then.
How much time does any of these trip need to be prepared ?

Leto said:
Modest fees ? I've got to emigrate to UK then.
How much time does any of these trip need to be prepared ?

Most authors (from what I can gather) charge upwards of £250 per day plus expenses. I recently visited a school who had paid £400 to have a poet come and talk to their pupils - apparently he found it very difficult to connect with the young people, which makes me wonder if his motivation towards talking to them was anything other than mercenary.

My programme for speaking in schools is presently full until May. I tend to organise events about 2-3 months in advance.

Any school that invites me to speak will get their money's worth! I do have set talks that are pre-prepared, but will happily prepare sessions on just about any area of creative writing that they wish me to focus on. I was given a brief by one girls' school recently, to give a workshop on how to write a fantasy story with a whole bunch of specific parameters: two worlds, some form of key to transport the main characters from one world to another, mixed male/female lead roles, development of major characters, how to plot storyline, how to work in sub-plots... the list went on and on. It was a very specific task they were working towards and they wanted me to give very generalised ways of achieving a satisfactory story at the end of their efforts. It was an interesting challenge.

Next week I am one of the guest speakers at a writers' conference in London, where I am giving a 2 hour seminar on marketing - specifically on how I've managed to sell so many books on my own and how I've managed to win distribution through the major book chains. I'm being paid very well for this venue. I have spoken for free with this organisation in the past and they were impressed enough to offer me a very good fee to come and give my time for this event. Many of the authors present will be self-published/struggling to find their niche. It should prove another interesting challenge.

I fully expect that in the early days of turning professional as a writer, I will actually earn more money from my speaking engagements than I will from sales of my books!

As long as you don't cross the Channel, believe me you're really well paid.
I really should think about a turn in my career (once more)...

Leto said:
As long as you don't cross the Channel, believe me you're really well paid.
I really should think about a turn in my career (once more)...

Perhaps you should bear in mind that an author is unlikely to spend more than 1 or 2 days a month doing this sort of activity. The income generated in this way is a nice bonus, but when you bear in mind that I'm giving up a £50 000+/year job to do this, it does not really compare.

I know it's not the equivalent of a salary job. That's why most authors I know, even those successfuls, have several other part-time jobs (translators, journalist, regular teacher, chronicler on TV or radio). Here for extra session it's at best 150 € the day - as a relativly new author you could hope for 80 €. And there's really few schools doing it.

Well we are a very literary lot down in Cheltenham! Great story too and really interesting to learn about life as a published writer.

Back