Collected Essays series

I meant to say that it would not hurt, not that it would not help. Silly me.

I'm sorry to say that the letters to Derleth (2 vols.) have been dropped by the publisher. :(

But the letters to Barlow will, Cthulhu willing, appear from University of Tampa Press in August.

Update: As J. D. already has posted, the letters to Derleth will be released by Hippocampus Project in October. (It will also include the few letters from Derleth to Lovecraft that have been preserved.)

There is no firm release date for the letters to Barlow yet, but I checked with UT Press and it should be out early this fall. It'll be a big book -- 504 pages! I hope it'll be available as a hardcover.

Thank you for the update on that... I would imagine it would be available in both formats... and now I'm going to have to sell an organ or two to buy the thing....:rolleyes:

But for his correspondence with Barlow... it will definitely be worth it!

Well, here goes a double-post....

I just spoke to them at University of Tampa Press. The book is coming along nicely, probably out around October. You can pre-order, if you like, and the contact information is here:

UTPress / University of Tampa

From the description (I got to talk to one of the people working on the book) it sounds like a gem....

EDIT: Just received an email from them on this... they've decided that any preorders will received 10% off the usual price ($40 for the regular edition; the limited, 26-copy signed edition has not yet had a price set).

Last edited:
According to a mailing list where I hang, the Lovecraft/Barlow book, O Fortunate Floridian, has now been received from the printer. The limited edition is not yet available.

According to a mailing list where I hang, the Lovecraft/Barlow book, O Fortunate Floridian, has now been received from the printer. The limited edition is not yet available.

Thanks for the update on this; I've not seen anything at UT's site yet, but it may take a few days/weeks to filter through with the holidays....

Incidentally... glad to see you drop by! Any other news on the HPL front?

Thanks for the update on this; I've not seen anything at UT's site yet, but it may take a few days/weeks to filter through with the holidays....

No, this is absolutely totally fresh. My supplier, Gavin Smith, was fortunate enough to e-mail Sean Donnelly at UTPress when he had just received the books. According to Gavin, he should get his copies some time after the holidays.

Incidentally... glad to see you drop by! Any other news on the HPL front?

Nope, nothing much. I've been proofing a selection of Lovecraft stories for the Swedish publisher Bakhåll; it will be published in February. It's a pretty strange selection -- it has "Dagon", "From Beyond", "The Outsider", "Hypnos", and "The Wicked Clergyman", among others, but nothing later than "Pickman's Model". It was very fortunate that I got wind of this and offered my assistance; the sources used were quite obviously websites, and there were several howlers (for example, poor Klenze of "The Temple" was consistently called "Kienze", except once when he was "Menze"). And of course, the correct text for "Hypnos" has been published only once, which may be difficult for a layman to know, but I took care of that too. :)

The next big HPL thing should be the Lovecraft/Derleth correspondence which should (Cthulhu willing) be out in December.

Thanks again for the information. As for the howlers ... I might be tempted to be a bit stronger in my epithets, myself... but congratulations on working on that. Glad to see it's in good hands. I agree, incidentally, on the selection; very quirky indeed!

Am very much looking forward to the Lovecraft/Derleth correspondence; Hippocampus has been a wonderful addition to the field, IMO....

And now there's cover art for the book up at the UTPress website (small image, but it looks nice!), and the price has changed to the "after publication" price. :)

Am very much looking forward to the Lovecraft/Derleth correspondence; Hippocampus has been a wonderful addition to the field, IMO....

You've no doubt seen the latest Hippocampus newsletter by now; Essential Solitude, the Lovecraft/Derleth correspondence, has been delayed until April. But there's some more information on it at the Hippocampus website!

And to my great joy, the first two volumes of Clark Ashton Smith's poetry should appear in a month or so! :)

You've no doubt seen the latest Hippocampus newsletter by now; Essential Solitude, the Lovecraft/Derleth correspondence, has been delayed until April. But there's some more information on it at the Hippocampus website!

And to my great joy, the first two volumes of Clark Ashton Smith's poetry should appear in a month or so! :)

Yep. Saw it when I got up this morning. A shame about the correspondence being delayed, but I rather suspect a lot of publishing is going through such changes under current circumstances....

In other news, the Wandrei concordance is being typeset.

Ooooh, nice! I noticed that a CD with the concordance will be included if you order straight from Hippocampus or from independent booksellers (I took the later alternative, so I'm covered).

Glad that's going to accompany the release. I would really like to see Wandrei's verse get more recognition, and this is likely to be a big step in aiding that....