Anyone wanting to read Dune prequels?

ezellohar

Well, when I heard about the Dune prequels I was very excited. Being a huge Dune fan, I could hardly wait to read them. Unfortunately, I was broke at the time and didn't get around to buying any until The Butlarian Jihad. Well, I read it. Part of it. The point of this post is to offer a hardcover book club edition of The Butlarian Jihad to anyone who might want it. I'll ship it to anyone in the States. Sorry but I'd have to have shipping for anyone overseas. I don't know if this kind of post is allowed here, but I don't suppose there would be a problem with giving something away. Anyway, the book is like new, only half read. Please someone take this thing from off my shelf. Preferably someone who would appreciate it. Thanks, and if this isn't allowed; well, I'm sorry.

*sigh* I feel your pain. I've read a few of these, and while they're decent enough space opera, Anderson and Herbert are at best average prose stylists, and certainly do not share the elder Herbert's thematic depth.

I know what you mean about trying to get rid of the things. :)

My personal recommendation is to take any unwanted books to a nearby second-hand shop, so then someone else can use them to discover what they do and do not like to read. :)

I'm reading it and while I do agree they are different from Herberts style, I'm really enjoying them. However I am more of a visuals kind of person, I saw Lynches film before I read the novel, I fell in love with the film and it remains my favourite movie.

I read both Dune and Messiah and while I will not deny they are good books, I actually enjoy the prequels more. It is a matter of opinion of course.

Absolutely its a matter of opinion. By themselves, the prequels are pretty good, but the very fact they are prequels annoys me. I loved the original Dune series, the mysteries it presented didn't need solving thats my main beef with books like these. The parts of the sequels I enjoyed the most were the parts that don't really explain anything from the original books. It was totally subconcious at the time, but now I notice its true...

I can understand that, hell, I loathe the star wars prequels. I think it can also come down to peoples perceptions of the past being ruined by over-enthusiastic directors or authors that seem to 'dumb-down' the original vision.

Last edited:
Aye, entirely possible. In this case however, I think it's as simple as looking for the famed cheque monkey. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm an eternal cynic;)

My local library seems to buy all the dune prequels as soon as they come out and sometimes multiple copies! I thought the preludes to dune were ok. The Butlerian Jihad stuff is alright for a light read. I wouldnt buy em to read. Ill buy Chapterhouse Dune though its the only proper dune i haven't read.

I thought the Butlerian Jihad was alright as a read as long a you tried to divorce it from the the Dune Cycle. It was far too long and too gorey for my tastes, and the whole Mecha aspect was an abomination... but what I did like was the whole Holtzman stroyline and the origins of the Bene Gesserit. But then again I enjoyed the "House" series as well despite also being a little too long and too gorey to really compare with the genuine article!

Read House Atredies and House House Harkonnen . I liked theme both.:)

I’ve read a few of these and I really enjoyed them, although I do believe that I am in a minority.

They’re great train fodder, easy to read.

That you are Rodders. I've read a few of them. I had hoped that they would be great, not Dune great, but worthy of Frank. They are nowhere near that quality. They read like bad fanfic and twist Frank's ideas into puerile nonsense.

BAYLOR: The megastar of old threads revivals! This one had laid untouched for 14 years :)

Im the Doctor Frankenstein of dead and dormant threads ! :D

Seriously, I did enjoy the 2 Dune prequels I read. :cool:

Last edited:
They don’t compare to the original at all. Intelligent and some to the best world building I have read.

That said, I did enjoy what I read of the prequel novels and don’t like to put them down. They’re light reading and good for the commute.

I haven't bothered with the sequels nevermind the prequels on the consensus that the sequels become very political and religious. I liked Dune itself but the ending annoyed me where there was a huge battle about to take place and then he skips the battle scene and says Paul won. I did like the writing style though.