AVPR: Aliens vs Predator - Requiem (2007)

Re: Alien vs. Predator sequel

Okay, can we stop with the personal attacks. Incidently, I think you are BOTH correct, if that is possible.

These films are about Aliens fighting Predators and Humans are incidental, but for any horror/thriller film to work, the filmgoer does need to be relate to the characters and care if they live or die. If we aren't meant to care about the characters, why have Humans in them at all? Why even set them on Earth.
the Original Alien film was very very thin on plot - what it had in spades was good characters, better actors and genuine terror.
Alien had plot too, it was just very subtle. The powerful Company and the expendable humans point was fairly heavily made I thought. Everyone now is very familiar with the Alien's biology and life-cycle, but the way the characters learnt that was story.
sorry, but film is very respectful to both the alien and Predator originals.
sorry, but they are not for very many reasons, some I made already in the thread about the first AvP film. Unfortunately, trying to prevent them is like stopping the tide coming in.

Nobody cares whether Aliens can beat up Predators or vice versa there is no emotional attachment to either one. They care that the humans caught in the middle survive or they would if they were not cardboard cutouts.

Actually, the entire reason I saw the first one was to see which species won - Aliens or Predator. I was purely in it for the fight scenes (which were horribly disappointing). The humans just make a fun obstacle for both sides. (Humans have a knack for messing things up beyond repair :) )

It's still a dreadful souless movie.

Actually, the entire reason I saw the first one was to see which species won - Aliens or Predator. I was purely in it for the fight scenes (which were horribly disappointing). The humans just make a fun obstacle for both sides. (Humans have a knack for messing things up beyond repair :) )

I have to agree to this! When I went to see the film, I had not seen any of the previous Alien or Predator movies (a problem that I'm working on fixing now). However, I had an idea of what each was. Going in to the theatre, I wanted nothing more than to see two monsters fighting.

Normally I would agree that it's important for the audience to connect with characters, but in this case if I wanted to connect with humans, I would not have watched a film in this genre. I definitely wanted gore, violence, and a respectable death count :)

Going to see this tonight. Haven't got my hopes up though.

Don't get your hopes up it's truly appalling, the only good parts are with the predator and there mediocre at best. The rest of the characters you don't really care for or notice, infact some of the ideas and dialogue have been taken from other predator and alien movies. :mad:

I actually loved AVP:R when I saw it in the theater - a very fun popcorn flick! Getting to see the Predator homeworld and the Predalien was what totally made the movie for me, and I liked how it was a hard "R", instead of the PG-13 of AVP1. It's a definate DVD purchase for me.

Murder Spaceseed. Now!!!!!!! Joking

LOL - don't hate me for my Predalien love! You don't understand us - we're just like "Romeo and Juliet"... except one of us is most likely going to eat the other one. :p

Aw, I love Predator movies... I love horror movies... so AvP:R was a natural fit for me. I've already got 4-15-08 circled on my calendar for the DVD release; heck, I'd buy TEN copies if it meant I'd get my AvP3 movie! :D

Why oh why do the film studies insist on taking two great movie franchise-magnets, throwing them together and creating AWFUL movies!!! Stop these films being made!

I'm one of those who went to see the movie for the Alien and the Predator rather than the humans. Didn't like the merged entity too much though and would rather see the them in their own movies. But at least here the humans don't win the day by killing the aliens. ;)

At the end of the day, I'm a huge fan of monster movies and will likely go see every single one I possibly can.

I'm one of those who went to see the movie for the Alien and the Predator rather than the humans. Didn't like the merged entity too much though and would rather see the them in their own movies. But at least here the humans don't win the day by killing the aliens. ;)

At the end of the day, I'm a huge fan of monster movies and will likely go see every single one I possibly can.

Ditto - the only humans that I actually cared about were Ripley & Newt in Aliens, and Dutch in the first Predator; the rest of 'em can get eaten/hunted, for all I care. :D I'm in it to see swarms of Aliens and lone hunter Predators, and seeing 'em together is exactly what I got out of AvP:R. Don't get me wrong; if they want to make an Alien 5 and a Predator 3 as well, go right ahead - I'll be first in line. But I'm happy with the AvPs too, and the main thing that made me happy about AvP:R was that it had more action between the ALIENS and the PREDATOR - not humans and Predators teaming up.

Humans are nothing more than walking bags of gory goodness in these films, and that's exactly what I like about 'em. :p

AvP:R is out on DVD now!

...In the U.S., at least. :D Just got my copy last night - it is sweet.

Sorry, UK guys! I think it comes out "across the pond" next month. I will fire it up again this weekend in your honor... I don't know exactly HOW that is supposed to help anyone, but it'll make ME feel better, at least. :p

everytime since Aliens and predator 2 I've felt let down... I should be used to it

Thought both films were a major let down.

Both had the base to become really good films but it wasn't meant to be.

But the second time I watched both of them I did seem to like them a bit more than the initial time.

I watched this the other night, the first film had an obvious predictable ending, and the 2nd was just so dark in the sewers you couldn't see who was fighting who, now they have the predators technology, who knows they may bring out a third where things get a bit more even on the odds.