Snape

HoopyFrood

It's me! Hurrah!
This may be a thread already, I haven't looked through them all...or maybe not.
Anyway...despite everything Snape has done, the worst being killing Dumbledore...why is it that I can't help but still think he's on the "good" side? I think he could kill everyone in the book and I'd still trust him! It's just some of things make me think this:
1. The times he's saved Harry...he could be saving him for Lord V, but also if he had killed Harry, he'd be V's number one then...so...
2. The way he shouts "Don't call me a coward!" in the last book...makes me think that he's doing something that is really piling on the pressure. Like he's double crossing Voldemort utterly.
3. When he killed Dumbledore, he was under the unbreakable vow...he promised to keep Malfoy from harm and help him..Malfoy was on the brink of failing and thus would be punished by V...so Snape HAD to kill Dumbledore?
And then there's just my general feelings about him! He seems completely evil now, but I can't help feel...it's an act somehow, and that in the last book he will be a very important role in the downfall of Voldemort.
Oh a seperate note, I also think that Harry is a horcrux and that he will have to sacrifice himself...but at the same time I don't want this to happen, because it's being thrown around too much and it won't be that original...but I'll leave that up to J.K. I think I'd be miffed if I'd organised the entire ending and then someone goes and correctly guesses what will happen!
Anyway, that's enough from me!

Actually, I think Malfroy will still be severely punished by V, probably even more so that he had to depend on another to do the task that was given to him. V does not seem like the forgiving type.

Snape never did really "save Harry". It was all part of a larger plan by Snape, bidding his time until the moment was ripe for turning. Besides had he turned too soon, he would of not gained the important insight into the activities of the Order of the Pheonix.

Snape is just bad, bad, bad...

I apologise, it seems this has been talked about a great number of times! Ah, well, I'm glad I'm not the only one to think so!
I've also been looking at the ideas of Dumbledore and his ramblings under the potion...his worst memory? Ooooh...Maybe in his pensieve? (that is one of J.K's better ideas, I love that word, it's a very good pun) and also the idea of Reg Black (He was one of the first people I thought of with R.A.B...who else would have those initials who has already been alluded to in the book?) was rambling around at the end of the last book. Some very good ideas flying around!

Snape is not bad... he is doing what Dumbledore asked of him. Think of the killing scene he is begging to be killed.

Snape could have helped V get to Harry lots of times (Think of all the dententions or lessons when they were alone) but didn't he has always been a loyal spy of Dumbledore since he came to Dumbledore. He was not just hanging around waiting for the useful time.

carrie221 said:
Snape is not bad... he is doing what Dumbledore asked of him. Think of the killing scene he is begging to be killed.
It always amazes me how people can be so convinced of their theories that they actually present them as fact...

I don't mind theories of course. I just don't think it's wise to be so sure of their validity when there's no proof at all for them to be true.

I don't have any theories just a gut instinct that Snape is too blindingly obvious to be a bad guy. It just doesn't seem RIGHT that he's bad for some reason.

I like the idea that Harry is a horcrux as well. Interesting...

I'd be pretty dissapointed if Snape turned out to be a baddie. It's rather too obvious and in your face. But then again he just might be the baddie because we were expecting him to somehow not be. For me I'd like him not to be or to at least be ambivalent and in the end stand on the side of what is good.

Joel007 said:
Snape is the real star of the potter books :)

Pity the movies don't do the character justice - otherwise Alan Rickman would be stealing more films... (e.g. on top of "Die Hard" and "Robin Hood")

Nesacat said:
It's rather too obvious and in your face. But then again he just might be the baddie because we were expecting him to somehow not be. [/quote]

Kind of like the whole Snape is an agent for Dumbledore, who is also pretending to be an agent for V., but could really be an agent for V and pretending to be an agent for Dumbly, but really could be an agent for someone else and is pretending to both V and Dumbly...wait, *carry the one, add the zero... or yeah, something like that.

Wishful said:
It always amazes me how people can be so convinced of their theories that they actually present them as fact...

I don't mind theories of course. I just don't think it's wise to be so sure of their validity when there's no proof at all for them to be true.

I know it is horrible like all those people who think that snape is evil...

carrie221 said:
I know it is horrible like all those people who think that snape is evil...
They have good reason to think so. The books are told from Harry's perspective, and he sees Snape as evil. Therefore, the reader sees him as evil too.

Snape being Dumbledore's agent who killed him by D's orders is just a theory. It's made up by the same people who created the "Dumbledore is not dead" theory - however, when JKR confirmed that he is, in fact, really dead, they needed a new theory. How many theories are there going to be? Someday Jo says in an interview that Snape really is evil and another theory arises, stating that Snape is really Fawkes and that Dolores Umbridge impersonated Dumbledore just to be killed by Mundungus Fletcher, who had taken Polyjuice Potion to look like Snape.

Wishful said:
They have good reason to think so. The books are told from Harry's perspective, and he sees Snape as evil. Therefore, the reader sees him as evil too.

Snape being Dumbledore's agent who killed him by D's orders is just a theory. It's made up by the same people who created the "Dumbledore is not dead" theory - however, when JKR confirmed that he is, in fact, really dead, they needed a new theory. How many theories are there going to be? Someday Jo says in an interview that Snape really is evil and another theory arises, stating that Snape is really Fawkes and that Dolores Umbridge impersonated Dumbledore just to be killed by Mundungus Fletcher, who had taken Polyjuice Potion to look like Snape.

Funny I have heard more about Snape being a good guy and before the theory that Dumbledore is alive... Snape through Harry's eyes was evil in the first book and he wasn't the bad guy

At the end of the day these are books for children: and kids love black and white good and evil - go with them to see a pantomime to appreciate that...

I'd think that the Harry Potter books are aimed more for children who are past the idea of straight forward good and evil. Besides I think that's clearly set out with Voldemort, ultimate evil (shown clearly in his aversion to love) and the good guys like Dumbledore. Therefore that leaves room for an ambiguous character like Snape. At the very least it's certainly made a long running conversation topic just trying to work out whether he is good or bad. I'd like to think that in the end he'll be a bit of both...I wouldn't want him to suddenly become this shining figure of niceness...although I doubt that would happen, the way he's acted in all the previous books! But what I mean is I wouldn't want some kind of soppy moment between him and Harry, after all these years of the fantastic tension between them both.

personally I think Snape is just weak. I think once he got away from V he needed protection and who better than Dumbledore to protect him and when V comes back Snape goes running back (eventually) to V who he sees as the stongest wizard which is typical of a small bully which I think Snape is.

I'm still with the equally traditional literary plot of having "good pretending to be bad"... but I'm kind of a romanticist and ever hopeful.

Come on, people! Snape is a jerk, but that doesn't make him evil. Ok, so he killed the grandfatherly old wizard who was the only one strong enough to save the wizarding world. I'm sure he had a perfectly good reason. Remember in book 1 when he saved Harry's life (until Hermione mistook what he was doing and set his robes on fire). Snape had no idea V was even back, so it's not like he was trying to save Harry so V could have him later. Think, all he had to do was not help. Nobody would've been the wiser.

BookStop said:
Come on, people! Snape is a jerk, but that doesn't make him evil. Ok, so he killed the grandfatherly old wizard who was the only one strong enough to save the wizarding world. I'm sure he had a perfectly good reason. Remember in book 1 when he saved Harry's life (until Hermione mistook what he was doing and set his robes on fire). Snape had no idea V was even back, so it's not like he was trying to save Harry so V could have him later. Think, all he had to do was not help. Nobody would've been the wiser.

Very, very good point:D

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J J K Rowling 41
D J K Rowling 30
T J K Rowling 51