Favorite Quotes

Pyar

anticipating destiny
Everyone post their favorite quotes from any book. (write the name of the book and the author if you know)

Here is my favorite:

"Never make your home in a place -- make a home for yourself inside your own head. You'll find what you need to furnish it -- memory, friends you can trust, love of learning, and other such things. That way it will go with you wherever you journey."

Tad Williams

This is definitely my all-time favourite

To the last I grapple with thee; from Hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee (Melville - Moby Dick)

Erm . . . I try to live by this. . .

"to infinity and beyond"

Buzzlightyear

Nice one, Santeeil. Very profound!!

Mine is:-

'Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement.'

Gandalf, Fellowship of the Ring, JRR Tolkien

Briareus Delta said:
Nice one, Santeeil. Very profound!!

(lol I always try to raise the bar Bri . . .)

"I work to Live, NOT Live to work!!"

An ex member of staff, as I was sacking him, for excessive absenteism!! A surfer, a bit of hot windy weather n you don't see them for dust my friends!! ;)

"Rule One: Do not act incautiously when confronting a little bald wrinkly smiling man." - Lu Tze, Thief of Time (Terry Pratchett)

'I'm not a criminal madman,' said Vimes.
'Never mind, you'll soon fit in,' said Lawn.
Night Watch (Terry Pratchett)

TP is the most quotable author on the planet :)
(not counting the Hilarious Monty Python crew)

Okay, this is a quote from the Calvin and Hobbes comic strip by Bill Watterson. I KNOW it's a comic strip but I just love this line from a six year old school-kid to his teacher...

"If ignorance is bliss, then this lesson would appear to be a deliberate attempt to deprive me of happiness, the pursuit of which is my unalienable right according to the Declaration of Independence. I therefore assert my patriotic prerogative to not know this material. I'll be out in the playground. "

I so wish I could have used that one during my school days...

Coolhand said:
Okay, this is a quote from the Calvin and Hobbes comic strip by Bill Watterson. I KNOW it's a comic strip but I just love this line from a six year old school-kid to his teacher...

"If ignorance is bliss, then this lesson would appear to be a deliberate attempt to deprive me of happiness, the pursuit of which is my unalienable right according to the Declaration of Independence. I therefore assert my patriotic prerogative to not know this material. I'll be out in the playground. "

I so wish I could have used that one during my school days...

(Superb lol)

"once bitten twice shy!!"

Steve Irwin - Crocodile Hunter. (Didn't use it with things that stung though!!)

Joel007 said:
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
(you gotta know this one :D)

Joseph of Nazareth??? . . . oh cleese I'm so Idle

Look, strange women lying on their backs in ponds handing out swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony. You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you! I mean, if I went around saying I was an Emperor because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Joel007 said:
Look, strange women lying on their backs in ponds handing out swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony. You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you! I mean, if I went around saying I was an Emperor because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

(love that . . )

Are you, yadda, yadda, waffle, shout, bawl, look constipated, . . . your freeeeddooommm, iffy Scottish accent included.

Any takers??

Um, guys, we really are straying veerrrrry far from what the original post requested. Can we get back on track, please?

“The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.”

While not a life changing quote, it is my favorite opening line ever.

I'm afraid I don't have a particular favorite; I find I quote far too many things over and over. But here is one favorite, because it sums up the feeling better than anything else I've ever come across:

"Though he was probably nowhere near the rotting outer edge of sanity, he could smell its foulness on the wind, coming in from the horizon; and like some wild animal rolling its eyes at the scent of carrion and the feeders thereon, he was being driven closer to lunacy every day, just from the smell."

-- Harlan Ellison, "Adrift Just Off the Islets of Langerhans"

j. d. worthington said:
"Though he was probably nowhere near the rotting outer edge of sanity, he could smell its foulness on the wind, coming in from the horizon; and like some wild animal rolling its eyes at the scent of carrion and the feeders thereon, he was being driven closer to lunacy every day, just from the smell."

-- Harlan Ellison, "Adrift Just Off the Islets of Langerhans"

I love this quote j. d. Is "Adrift Just Off the Islets of Langerhans" a short story?