Favourite SF or Fantasy City?

Sanctapharax from the Edge Chronicles was pretty neat.
For those who haven't read those books, it is a city built on a giant floating rock in the sky, attached to the earth by a chain. It is the centre of learning and science in the universe of the books.
Kinda like an airborne, magical oxford or harvard, guarded by goblins.

SF: Trantor, before the Fall, or Permutation City from the book of the same name.
Fantasy: Hmmm... How about Revelstone, from Stephen Donaldson's Land series? Another decent candidate (if I could survive it) would be Alqualondë on Valinor.

I was always fond of Coruscant. The multiple levels to the city would be really cool to explore; I often thought it would have been really cool to live there.

Other than almost anywhere in Middle Earth, Caraval is sort of a city and would be amazing to see! Really hope Stephanie Garber's Caraval series gets made into films so I can see how they interpret it. There are also tons of places in S.E. Grove's Mapmaker Trilogy that I'd love to visit.

Definitely Ankh-Morpork, it's the only known city to have a monument dedicated to its smell.
An invading army once put their scaling ladders up on the city walls, they climbed up, took one whiff and promptly all ran away!!!

Definitely Ankh-Morpork, it's the only known city to have a monument dedicated to its smell.
An invading army once put their scaling ladders up on the city walls, they climbed up, took one whiff and promptly all ran away!!!

And other time the Barbarians invade the city and Get relived of all their money. :D

Ba Sing Se from Avatar/Korra. I love the way the city uses Earth bending to function in certain ways and the politics that go on there.

I would have to say either Ankh-Morpork or Ashtown, from N.D. Wilson's (sadly yet-unfinished) Ashtown Burials series. There was so much history and structure there that was only hinted at.