Golden Fool *Missing chapter*

gypsy d

My boyfriend and I have been reading the Farseer trilogy and now The Tawny Man aloud to each other for some time now. Naturally we're addicted. I was guiding him along the sidewalk today as he was reading, because we couldn't put the book down long enough to go out and get something to eat, when we hit 'Chapter 16' which is titled 'Explosions' and it just didn't flow. A little web surfing revealed there was a publishing error in the UK in 2002. Grrr. Chapter 16 should be titled "Fathers".

Can anyone direct me to an online version of the The Missing Chapter. I would have thought one would be released by the publishing company to rectify their error.
Or can anyone provide a summary of "Fathers" that captures the wit and imagery of Robin Hobb's writing.

Please hurry. I can't go on like this.

I read an old post by robin herself somewhere today from when it was realised the problem had occurred and it said that if you had a defective copy it would be replaced and that all wrong copies were being recalled and destroyed. Maybe if you go to where you purchased the book they will replace it for you? A long shot maybe but apparently it has been done previously

Unfortunately my boyfriend dug the book out of his attic. We have the hard cover edition, but the papersleeve is missing. Retuns are not an option i'm afraid.

Last edited:
Well in that case, I DO have a copy to hand with the missing chapter and if you cant find a better summary elsewhere I can give you a quick rundown...but as for capturing the wit and imagery of hobb,..well..i cant promise much in that way lol.

I would be ever grateful if you'd be willing to give me a run down.
No pressure to be witty.
It's easy enough for me to imagine how Fitz will embarass himself.

ok then...flips through book..lets all sit down children and listen to a fantastic tale of adventure...well one chapter of it anyway *grin*

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS******************

A few days pass since the events of the last chapter. Lord Golden emerges from his chamber, once again flawless and in full health. Fitz notes that he is now wearing even more extravagant makeup and suspects this is to hide the darkening skin. Fitz still fulfills his role as Lord Golden's servant. But this is as far as their relationship goes. The fool hides himself completely and Lord Golden is all who appears. At no point does he deviate from this role and Fitz suffers from the isolation. The fool leaves a package on Fitz's bed containing the red whistle on green string with a note saying "for thick" When Fitz tries to thank him for it he is greeted with Golden's indifference.
Fitz decides to return to his task of dutiful and thick's skill lessons. There is a great deal of resistance, especially from dutiful who still 'hates' Fitz. Eventually the young men make their way to the tower. It is at this point that we learn that Dutiful isn't witted as strongly as our dear hero when he cannot sense that Fitz (who has concealed himself) is in the room. Also at this time, Fitzy remembers that he never shared the discovery of the feathers he found on the beach, with the fool. There is a lot of arguing, i guess you could say, but Fitz manages to begin to salvage his relationship with the prince and starts/tries to start (lol) to get thick and dutiful to work together as equals in the classroom.
Fitz receives a summons and goes to the spy hole looking into the queens audience chamber. Here we meet Swift, burrich's son, as he is received by the queen. apparently burrich has been mistreating his son because he is witted and so, swift tells us, he has run to buckeep so he can be who he is. burrich comes and orders swift to get home, but the boy refuses. We find out that burrich carries deep guilt over Fitz's death for which he blames himself and Fitz's use of the wit. He wishes to spare his son the same fate. Watching everything from behind the wall Fitz is left with a choice...let burrich know he is alive and relieve the man's pain or protect himself and burrich and remain 'dead'. He chooses to keep burrich in the dark.
Fitz has a brawl with Savanja's father who is furious over Hap ruining His daughter. Hap blames Fitz for ruining his chances at ever being able to be with Savanja. They have a fight and Fitz feels that hap is now lost to him and walks away. Hap comes after him and they have another, more positive, exchange and each tell the other that they love them (awww). Walking up to buckeep after this Fitz passes swift and burrich on their way home. Swift stares at his bruised face but burrich doesn't give him any notice. Back at the door to Golden's chambers, Fitz encounters someone coming out of the room...its Garetha and she is wearing a necklace which Fitz observes to be a little carved rose charm painted white with a stem of black ink. he knows that it is the Fool's work when he sees it and is afraid that the fool has taken his ill-conceived advice regarding garetha. he enters the chamber and has a short exchange with lord golden (I'm gonna do this bit word by word cos its good :) )

" I had a conversation with Hap. I told him that loving someone and bedding someone were two different things"
Lord Golden blinked slowly. Then he asked, "And did he believe you?"
I took a breath. " I don't think he completely understood me. But in time, I expect he will.
"Many things take time," he observed. He swung his gaze back to the fire....

That night, Fitz, using the skill, comforts nettle by telling her that her father and brother are on their way home. Thick, using the skill thanks him for making Nettle's crying stop. And an inhuman voice reaches his mind and tells him not to dream so loud and asks what he is and what does he mean to her?. Fitz's mind takes a beating and he mentally and physically gags a bit after this strange female presence leaves

And that's it. lol....oh dear god my poor keyboard and fingers *snigger*
hope it helped, cheers

This reads faster than any book I can read :)

And the "aaaaw" made it one of the best reads :D

That was awesome.

I printed the summary out at work, averting my eyes from the text, and read it aloud to H. once we were both home. It was a perfect substitute for what sounds like a pretty good chapter. The 'awwww' was indeed nice, but my fave is the way you call him Fitzy. Given that we were sitting on 'Couchly' when i read it, we both felt an immidiate affinity for you, Teir.

Very sincere thanks from two rescued addicts.

d.

*laughs*

lol, thnx marky:D

Glad you liked it gypsy d. :)

Back