The Children of Hurin

I just read this and really enjoyed it - if you can call the reading of a tragedy enjoyment... CT did a very good job with the editing, the story stood up very well I thought. Inspired me to go and read the Silmarillion again (I am currently up to the lovely tale of Maeglin). And once again I was left thinking, what kind of life would Turin have led if not for the curse? When you read this story in the context of the larger tragedy (the Silmarillion) you realise how much of it is about curses and their impacts further down the track - and yet throughout the whole there is always a small thread of hope - for instance, balancing Turin's tale of woe is the prophecy regarding Tuor (I think that's why the "almost-meeting" between those two had to take place).

Wow, what a tragedy. The style kind of reminded me of the old epics like the Illiad. I think that was one of JRRT's puposes. He was creating myth. I enjoyed it.

Does anyone else agree with me that in the chapter "The Land of Bow and Helm" on page 148 in my edition where Mim the Petty-dwarf goes to the Orcs that the note at the bottom giving an alternate story would have been the better choice? Morgoth and his servants are already intrinsically evil; having Mim be less evil and more understandable would have made for better reading. Having the Orcs waylay him and threaten his son would have accomplished this by providing Mim with a more sympathetic motivation.

HMMM....I've got a gift voucher that will cover the cost of this book (PB edn.), just not sure if it's worth getting.

Anyone else care to comment on this book?

I've not read it myself (yet, though I intend to soon after the move), but from various comments I've seen, I'd say to go for it; those whose opinion I've come to respect all seem to think rather highly of it....

Not sure if I qualify as "anyone else", given that I've already commented, sir, but....

I enjoyed it, Gol...but I'm a big Tolkien fan. Have gathered that you are, too (genius, I am:rolleyes:); if you liked the content of the Nírnaeth Arnoediad and Of Turin Turambar chapters in The Silmarillion but would rather have seen them mostly written from the character's perspective, instead of a mostly historical accounting, this book is for you. See my previous comment above, too!;) In addition to dreading CT's editing (unfounded here, as noted), I had thought that I pretty much the same (ie, I already have the story from The Silmarillion, why do I need it again?), but found it to be a good and different read.

I recently purchased this book, and found it a good read. It really expanded on the chapters of Turin Turambar from the Silmarillion, which I enjoyed, and it was actually a decent bit of editing by C.T. Hopefully (eventually) I would like to see the tale of Tuor and the fall of Gondolin given as good a treatment.

Go for it, Gollum...a worthy addition to the canon, and as both Grim and dekket say, the editing by CJRT turns a fairly dry "historical" account into a true story.

Read it, loved it. The fact that it happened thousands of years before Bilbo & Frodo's adventures added a certain archaic feeling to it. The doom and gloom of Hurin's children really draws you in, and damn Glaurung is one nasty dragon!

I absolutely loved this book I'd like to get the other books dealing with Middle Earth's history and lore.

Thanks for the info. I love Tolkien so much. I envy anyone who gets to read the books for the first time. I have to wait a few years between readings, and the necessary gaps are getting longer. The last time, I finally read The Silmarilian because I just needed more. I enjoyed it, but it just lacks that amazing J.R.R. Tolkien voice that I love. Maybe this new release will give me a reason to read the series again, and carry on with the Hurin book. I hope it's half as beautifully written as J.R.R.'s works.

Fellfire, have you read the (unfinished) Notion Club Papers in volume 9 of The History of Middle-earth (Sauron Defeated)? Different from Tolkien's other works, but it becomes rather fascinating.

Fellfire, have you read the (unfinished) Notion Club Papers in volume 9 of The History of Middle-earth (Sauron Defeated)? Different from Tolkien's other works, but it becomes rather fascinating.

No, but thanks for the tip. I'll try to find it.