10.07 : Counterstrike

H2 - these tv.com synopses rarely catch the real essence of the story. ;)

The Free Jaffa use the Dakara, ancient super-weapon, via the Stargate to wipe out a world that was just about to receive Origin. One in which SG-1 just happen to be there undercover.

Landry and Bra'tac try to have them reconsider it's use again. It appears that it has been used against human worlds, but not against Jaffa worlds. There is disagreement and their mission fails.

Meanwhile, SG-1 discover that all life on the planet was not destroyed. Adria still survives. Now this is what I don't understand: What exactly is Adria? The weapon kills all organic life (Reckoning Pts 1&2). All humans were destroyed. All Priors were destroyed. I thought Adria, was either a Prior, or a human endowed with extra powers. It now appears she is something entirely different. How is Vala her mother - genetically her mother, or simply her birth mother? :confused:

Adria takes the Ori ship, with SG-1 hiding aboard, to attack the Jaffa seat of government and the super-weapon on Dakara. SG-1 attempt to stop her, but in a rare failure for them, cannot prevent the destruction of the Jaffa and their ships. They do however manage to escape themselves at the very last moment.

Painting by numbers!

Adria explained that the necklace she's been wearing protects her. (If she hadn't said that, we could have just figured that the ability to protect onesself from dangers like that weapon was just another one of her "powers", so the fact that this protective power is stored in the necklace instead of herself will probably be significant later...)

Adria explained that the necklace she's been wearing protects her. (...so the fact that this protective power is stored in the necklace instead of herself will probably be significant later...)
Sorry, I remember she did now!

I still find it all too convenient. Like the fact that the Ori do not come immediately to Earth.

I wondered exactly how long it would be from them getting on the Ori ship, to losing it.
Loved to see that the SGC laptops can interface with Ori technology as well as Goa'uld and Ancient. I didn't think that the Ori patch for Windows had been released yet! Why didn't they just get Jeff Goldblum to upload a virus into the ships computer!!:D

However, driving the quest for Merlin's weapon on by destroying the other most powerful weapon in the galaxy was obvious as soon as you learned that Adria was still alive. It seems like she's developing powers as the plot requires them.

Just sit back and see exactly what plans the Ori have for Daniel now...

It did bug me that there was no explanation as to how the Jaffa were now able to use the weapon and the arrogance of their new leader was old hat (its like a procession) but that aside I did like the episode. Best of all was seeing the gorgeous Morena Baccarin as Adria!

Back