The Prestige (2006)

Re: The Prestige (movie)

i liked the film a lot :) though i could see some of it coming, and the ending confused me (spoiler)
i was just left wondering why they had left one of the hugh jackman magicians in that watertank like that!

(spoiler)
That was the thing: he deliberately only did the show 100 times because they weren't leaving ONE of the duplicate Hugh Jackmans, they were leaving all HUNDRED that they'd created and let die... (well that's what I made of it, anyway)

Last edited:

Wah! Very scary thought.
Hmm...Am I permitted a minor rant here? Ah, hell, I'll do it anyway! :D
A film that is about two magicians, one of them does a trick that kills his wife, the two friends seperate to do their own thing and etc etc...yes, almost the same plot as The Prestige! So I feel sorry for them now, before there's will look like a parody! I can also say that it'll be a good film, Mitchell and Webb are great and it has some great comedy moments...and of course, with all films, a nice touching scene at the end! Anyway, I'm probably under some kind of contract so I won't say anymore. But that's my rant...The Prestige stole their idea! :D:p

You do realise Priest's original novel of "The Prestige" was released in 1995?

what i meant Pteppic, is why did they leave that body in the tank and then shove the tank into the store room? after it was all meant to be over, shouldn't they have taken the body out and buried it or something? would have been a disaster if someone had wandered down there and found a dead body floating in a tank looking JUSt like someone they thought had drowned that way.

and if that WAS the same body that the other magician saw drowned, they'd have buried it.

i get that it was left there to show that there were lots of hugh jackmans (nice thought :) ) in case anyone missed that part, but logically, you dont' leave a dead body in a water tank in a storage cellar thing! :)

I'm guessing he deduced that Christian's character would be sufficiently intrigued as to do what he attempted... the whole thing was a set-up to get back at Christian's character.

There was a whole bunch of tanks in that basement.

I assumed they all had dead Hugh's in them.

It couldn't be the one from the crime case as that box was broken and presumably the body in the hands of the police

just seems mean, not taking out any of the hughs, and a risk, that someone else might find them and figure out what the machine does.

Hi

I really enjoyed this movie, except I thought it was a little too obvious. I won't ruin it for anyone, but did anyone else suss out the twist well before the end?

JB

which one? i saw the hugh jackman one coming, but not the other whatever his name is guy's.

It wasn't even a "twist" movie; there wasn't anything to figure out or not figure out.

Agree with the Jackman one, though not a million miles ahead. Didn't get the Christian Bale one though.

I thought the Bale one was more obvious. He had an assistant who never said a word. The hints about makeup etc earlier in the movie.

The Jackman one was more obscure until the far too obvious Hat/Cat clue about half way through the film. Take out the multiple hats and it would have been more of a trick.

i thought the hugh jackman one was really obvious. not that he had a duplicate machine, but i knew that he wouldn't be the one dead, and it invovled doubles, from the moment they hired the actor. but i never saw the other thing at all.

what i meant Pteppic, is why did they leave that body in the tank and then shove the tank into the store room?

If Jackman wanted to do anything with the bodies he would have to do it himself, since his blind stagehands would be find for moving the tanks (they don't know what it is them, obviously) but might get a bit more suspicious if asked to bury a dead body every night.

Lol yeah, hence my :D and :p at the end...I was being sarcastic. I know that doesn't convey well over the internet.

A smiley titled 'big grin' doesn't necessarily suggest sarcasm to me ;)

We could do with a 'sarcasm' smiley, although I'm not quite what it would look like.

We really do...although mine would go on protest from being used too often. I just use a combination of the grin and the sticking out tongue one...kind represents sarcasm...Let's petition to Aye,Brian to have one created! :D

I thought the Bale one was more obvious. He had an assistant who never said a word. The hints about makeup etc earlier in the movie.

The Jackman one was more obscure until the far too obvious Hat/Cat clue about half way through the film. Take out the multiple hats and it would have been more of a trick.

And others; I'm reminded of Hannibal Lecter's words to Clarice that she recounts to the other girl at the academy: first principles - what is it in itself. In any good film the material that hasn't been left on the cutting room floor is needed to tell the story. Not just for pretty passing of time, but to contain plot detail. And it may not be obvious why until later. Take the bent-double Chinese magician. Now we know it was in: living a permanent lie was the trick. Ah, now we understand... etc.

haven't seen it yet...im so out of the loop...but i love nolan aka i'll love this...

what i meant Pteppic, is why did they leave that body in the tank and then shove the tank into the store room? after it was all meant to be over, shouldn't they have taken the body out and buried it or something? would have been a disaster if someone had wandered down there and found a dead body floating in a tank looking JUSt like someone they thought had drowned that way.

and if that WAS the same body that the other magician saw drowned, they'd have buried it.

i get that it was left there to show that there were lots of hugh jackmans (nice thought :) ) in case anyone missed that part, but logically, you dont' leave a dead body in a water tank in a storage cellar thing! :)

Yeah - this is a little old, but I love this movie, so digging it up -

But this particular part harkens to the book. In the book, Angier creates copies, but one copy dies immediately (IIRC - it's been a while since I've read the book) and he buries them in the family's crypt, in a secret room, but they're all rigor'd in position, like they've been electrocuted and molded in place. The scene in the book is eerie and dramatic, so I'd assume that was the aim in the movie - an eerie and dramatic visual.