Nevare v Fitz

Mouse

I'm still reading Shaman's Crossing at the moment and I am enjoying it but not as much as I enjoyed Fitz's stories.
Nevare is just so depressing! He's constantly moaning and whining and thinking everything is his fault or his problem, I just want to slap him!!
But then Fitz was a bit like that too, not to the extent of Nevare but he did think everything was his fault all the time.
Anyway, what do all you Hobb fans think? (though I think I already know the answer!) Nevare or Fitz?!

fitz. i can't even read shaman's corssing, it bored me. i just find nevare so wooden, he watches a girl being threatened, almost raped, and has very little emotion about it. ok he was thinking back and was young at the time, but i'd have thought experiences that made him who he was at the time he is thinking back would have given him some realisation of why that would have been a bad deal! i just find him rally cold and wooden. i like fitz, cos he's an idiot. he did daft things, but he was compassionate and willful. nevare was just so cold and rigid. flat.

I prefer Nevare.Nevare is a product of his environment,yes he's a stuffed shirt but that was how he was brung up.To obey, do not question authority,to be a good soldier son.We get inside him, his inner conflicts,his determination to succeed despite the handicaps in his way.I was liking the Soldier Son trilogy more than her other series, till near the end of Forest Mage then she seemed to lose the plot slightly and turning Nevare in to another Fitz but without the wit.

Definatley Fitz, hes far more intiguing.

In a fight Fitz would not even break a sweat if he had to take out Nevare. However he would certainly question the order to take Nevare out because Fitz would see him as being far below his own skills pretty much as soon as he laid eyes on him. Put those skills together with the added bonus of input from Nighteyes and well Nevare don't stand a chance, few men would let alone a boy who is barely starting to realize that he doesn't know everything after all.

Rahl

Edit: I read Shaman's Crossing and I am still hoping for good things from that story because the first book was ok but I will be waiting to read book 2, meaning I won't be purchasing the hardcover version as a pre-order like I did with SC.

Fitz took all that was thrown at him from a 9-year old to quite an old(er) man and never gave up. I can't see Nevare taking the same punishment in the same way.

Nevare & Fitz

***spoilers if you haven't read Assassin series/Forest Mage***

In the early stages of Forest Mage, Nevare and the reader are given the information that his weight gain (basically the source of all his troubles) originates with the Speck and the plague. So I kept waiting for him to go to the Speck to somehow get a cure because that seemed the only way he was going to reclaim his life and the only way the story was going to progress. It was totally frustrating that it took him the whole book to get to this point.

It reminded me of Fitz in Assassin’s Quest where he regained his body and then takes a lot of time deciding whether he is going to continue to give his life to the Farseers or go off and have a different life since everyone now thought he was dead. All this time Verity had not been heard from but Fitz knew where he'd gone. It was obvious to me that Fitz was going to look for him because there was no other logical way for the story to progress. I just wanted him to stop soul searching and get on with it!!

Looking forward to lots of action in final Nevare episode...please!

Fitz AND Nevare
Fitz is more intriguing
Nevare is ... (i have to think about correct word)

Haven't finished reading about Nevare yet, but for me it has to be Fitz every time.

I don't know... Fitz changes so much. And so does Nevare, quite literally, but he stays as him.

I'll go with Fitz, though, for the moment. But I do like Nevare.

Fitz ....since I haven't read shaman's crossing yet. Going to get a copy soon though.

Shaman's crossing was cool and Nevare was cool in it but since he became a fatty he has been whining all the time. The wit is straight up awsome too so im gunna go with Fitz on this one.

i realise its a waste of a post but i think i cant decide before i read the last one. in the first one, he was the hero. although he had problems, all was essentially well. he was following the path set out for him, soldiers son of a soldiers son, saving the day for his people. in the second one, the "saving the day" turned out to have consequences that nobody could really deal with, so obviously he was gonna become a whiner. he was a fighter, not "a fatty".

based on the way things are now (ie a lack of an ending to the Soldier Son Trilogy) we would have to say Fitz, we saw his story through to the end, to his proof of loyalty to verity; consider, at the end of the 2nd in the farseer, wasnt fitz a wolf in man's skin? although come to think of it, even a werewolf is preferable to obesity these days...