J.V.Jones

Karsa Orlong

Unchained
Cavern of Black Ice is the only book I have by this author, and I want to know whether it's a good starting place. Apparently there was a trilogy prior to this set in the same world - is it necessary to read that one before beginning this one?

Karsa Orlong said:
Cavern of Black Ice is the only book I have by this author, and I want to know whether it's a good starting place. Apparently there was a trilogy prior to this set in the same world - is it necessary to read that one before beginning this one?
No they're a totaly different series and not all that good compared to the one you've got IMO. In fact the difference in quality made me wonder whether I was reading the same author.

Cavern of Black Ice and the second novel in this trilogy (final Bk 3 Sword from Red Ice due end Nov 2007) are very good EPIC dark fantasy and well worth the read!

So in short it's the only starting place with this author. Her stand-alone novel Barbed Coil was fair but the first trilogy Book Of Words was pretty average.

I read Barbed Coil and a trillogy, can't remember the names, one was a Bakers Boy. They were easy books to critisie with some real steriotypes and contrived bits but I still couldn't hlep enjoying them. I would read more of hers.

jackokent said:
I read Barbed Coil and a trillogy, can't remember the names, one was a Bakers Boy. They were easy books to critisie with some real steriotypes and contrived bits but I still couldn't hlep enjoying them. I would read more of hers.
Yes that's her Book Of Words trilogy I refer to.

Check out her latest Sword Of Shadows trilogy Karsa has the first book of Cavern Of Black Ice. It's very good. Probably on a par with Greg Keye's Kingdom Of Thorn and Bone or Tad's Memory, Sorrow and Thorn.

GOLLUM said:

Check out her latest Sword Of Shadows trilogy Karsa has the first book of Cavern Of Black Ice. It's very good.

Thanks for this, I will do. My problem is I don't just have a books to read pile, I have a books to read room.:)

Thanks for the replies folks. :) I'll start reading this after I'm done with Russell's The One Kingdom.

You'll enjoy it far more than The One Kingdom! Which is what I'm reading at the mo. JV Jones is brilliant.

Karsa Orlong said:
Thanks for the replies folks. :) I'll start reading this after I'm done with Russell's The One Kingdom.
Comparing Russell's The One Kingdom to JV Jones Cavern Of Black Ice is for me like comparing Terry Goodkind to Gene Wolfe, China Mieville or Steven Erikson. Well OK maybe that's a little over the top, Russell is a talented writer but the story and prose just didn't do it for me personally.

I'm not comparing, just saying that's what I'm currently reading. ;) I might have a go at reviewing it when I'm done, but I'll withhold judgment for the meantime, I've not read much of it yet.

I read the Book of Words trilogy and loved it. absolutely great! Will have to read the rest of her stuff as well now!

GOLLUM said:

Check out her latest Sword Of Shadows trilogy Karsa has the first book of Cavern Of Black Ice. It's very good. Probably on a par with Greg Keye's Kingdom Of Thorn and Bone or Tad's Memory, Sorrow and Thorn.

Except that Sword of Shadows is a four-book series. Book 3 is called A Sword from Red Ice and Book 4 will be called A Shadow Under the Ice.

Werthead said:
Except that Sword of Shadows is a four-book series. Book 3 is called A Sword from Red Ice and Book 4 will be called A Shadow Under the Ice.
OH OK. All indications I've got is that it's a trilogy.
Juat wondering where you've got this information from, a SFF conference, forum, Jones herself?? Not doubting you just curious if it's posted somewhere on the Net.

Cheers....

Jones' homepage at www.jvj.com and a fan site she corresponds with. She said:

I'll let you know a little bit of news so you can post it
online. After a short break I'm starting work on the fourth book in the
series. It doesn't have a firm title yet, but is provisionally named "The
Shadow Beneath The Ice". It's Spring in the clanholds at last...

Thanks for the update. I still wonder if that 4th book isn't part of a new trilogy based in the same world or start of a new story arc rather than a direct follow on from Book 3. More of a hunch, not that there's any evidence it's not an immediate follow on for Book 4 from those statements of course.

OH well looks like we're in for further delays then.

I'd recommend the Barbed Coil as a good starting point. First off, it's a stand alone novel so less commitment required. But also I just thought it was a damn good fantasy book.

I didn't like her first trilogy (The Book of Words) at all. The style of it just irritated me so I had to give up and I hate not finishing a book.

I haven't read her most recent series yet. It's on my (long) to read list.

Back