Traditional Publishing for Web Blog Stories ?

KSeriphyn

KSeriphyn Designs
Not that I'm considering it at the moment.

But, if a story has been published on a website (specifically a blog) and you are considering on taking it to an agent or publisher for traditional book publication.

Would there be any problems with this? Would they consider a story published on the web as a "published" story. I wouldn't imagine so as it's not for sale and has no ISBN numbers etc. I'm not too sure.

I'd like to get my work in traditional print one day. Maybe became the next
J R.R Tolkin (yes, I'm dreaming big time).

Appreciate the feedback.

Ta.

KS

On the one hand, traditionally writers have to be careful of confusing the issue of Electronic Rights by only publishing a minority of a work online - ie, 12 lines of a short story and 3 chapters of a novel.

*However*, that being said, I know of a good handful of blogs that have turned their postings into books precisely because their audience and message were so compelling. Latest one I can think of is an ambulance driver blogger.

They do consider it published, because publication means making it available to the public. Sales and ISBN numbers have nothing to do with that.

But as Brian says, if the story garners an immense amount of interest, publishers might be interested in "reprinting" it. That's a big if, and meanwhile the writer will have narrowed, not increased, his/her chances of traditional publication, because many places are only interested in acquiring the first rights. That's a big risk.

Indeed, it's worth pointing out that the blogs I had in mind had become cornerstones in the blogosphere - ie, they proved that they had a signifcant audience to market to.