3.04: Sateda

Highlander II

There can be only one!!
Sateda

Sheppard, Teyla and Ronon come under attack on a forested world. Ronon, realizing that he has been on the planet before, learns that his earlier visit came with harsh consequences.

Quite a bit more to the story than that summary, and I think, the best episode for some time.

Ronon finally gets some back-story, and we saw his homeworld of Sateda. We never really knew much about him. He just turned up one episode. I admit, I never quite liked him, but he has become a member of the team now, and the conversation between Sheppard and Teyla was trying to underline that in a clumsy way. After this episode, which gives him motives and an agenda, I've warmed to him much more.

Not only that, but after watering down the Wraith for so long, they again show why they are such a dangerous enemy. At least, they would have, if not for the fact that the team killed about 40 of them. ;)

And Rodney gets an arrow in the butt!

I thought it was a brilliant ep. (especially after the very disappointing S.G.-1 ep. which showed Sam as an inept idiot who escaped all blame - Grr!), but then, I liked Ronon from the beginning.

I liked the way the two parts of Ronon's story, past and present, were cut together. It was well done. Usually I'm rather irritated by computer graphics as they're expensive and seem to be used in lieu of plot, but in this ep., the stylish cgs worked very well.

This ep. was full of teamy goodness too. Besides the Shep and Teyla scene, there were the entertaining scenes in the puddle jumper with Carson and Rodney fighting over the gun to go to the rescue. :)

Yeah, I liked Rodney and the arrow. LOL! And ahh, the realism! Having someone screaming like a stuck pig and whinging about the pain later made a refreshing change to the usual heroic but unbelievable tight-lipped stoicism. Ronon too, digging the shrapnel out of his leg, showed plausible pain.

Great ep.!
--

Enjoyed this more than the SG-1 ep. Thought that David Hewlett was on form, especially early on after getting an arrow in his gluteus maximus!:D

Ronon's back story done in flashback with current locations, etc. was well executed. Made for an interesting story, heavy on content but a little light on plot.

It was a decent ep but I thought some of the acting again was pretty poor. Great scenes between Rodney and Carson and some nice flash-back shots of Ronon's past. It was good to finally get a little insight into his past. The bit where he psyched himself up to take on that Wraith leader was beyond cheesy though.

Back