10.01 : Flesh and Blood

Highlander II

There can be only one!!
Flesh and Blood

As the Ori gain power with their invasion of Chulak, Vala's daughter Adria ages years in a matter of hours and the secret of her conception is revealed.

The first thing that comes to mind after watching this episode is the classic "he said she said" battle. After listening to what Vala calls propaganda coming from Orisi (Adria), I immediately was reminded of a developing societies class where we discussed things like ethnocentrism ...cultural-centrism. Why did I automatically believe the Ancients and not the Ori.

Eway said:
Why did I automatically believe the Ancients and not the Ori.
That is an interesting twist that they are attempting, but the Ancients never exterminated whole civilisations, and I trust Daniel to have spoken against them (unless they did something with his brain after he was acended.)

I thought that was a boring opening episode though. It is good that everything wasn't tied up in one episode. It looks the the Ori are the new ongoing enemy for the last season and beyond (if it moves into made-for-TV movies.) They don't seem to have there hearts in it any more. And I almost missed the fact that the new season had started. There was no advertising that I saw on Sky One.

Sam's rescue was too improbable, and the Adria aging years in hours is pulp scifi (how ever hungry she got! Or however much they altered her DNA.) They could have given her innate powers of speech and other memories, but the rapid development seems unlikely to be possible.

And why attack Chulak first? The Ori have the advantage of surprise. Go straight to Earth, knock out the only real resistance in our Galaxy (the real defeaters of the Goauld) before they have a chance to organise, then go back and mop up the Jaffa and the Lucian Alliance afterwards. The series would end much quicker that way though!

Dave said:
That is an interesting twist that they are attempting, but the Ancients never exterminated whole civilisations, and I trust Daniel to have spoken against them (unless they did something with his brain after he was acended.)

We humans exterminate anything and everything that's in our way if it's not right for us. Plus the ancients just deciding to erase my memory b/c they know whats better. That could be considered a crime in itself.

The flashbacks to the actual battle were a good way to tell the story. I like what Cam says about the war at the end of the episode. Although I love O'Neill's irreverence, I'm starting to really like Mitchell's more serious, though sometimes playful approach.

Vala's daughter is, of course, going to be the greatest threat, but I suspect in the end her human side will win and her love for her mother will hand over the greatest weapon. For a child the actress nailed her performance.

Daniel and Cam are right: the Acension rule book is beginning to become harder and harder to understand.