What Anime and Animation are you currently watching?

Frames per second?

Also on this thread, I've just re-watched The Thief and the Cobbler, "Recobbled Cut Mark 4" on YouTube. This is an attempt to restore the director Richard Williams's vision for his never-completed 1970s animated film. It has a few pacing issues, but in general is a delight. The surreal destruction of the war machine at the end is hilarious.

Ah, sorry, yes, frames per second. Richard Williams is the absolute don. His book, the animator's survival kit is THE book, so I'm told. I saw one of the recobbled cuts many years ago, but wasn't sure which version it was - a work of technical genius!

Just started Blade Runner: Black Lotus, and it's exactly what I was expecting: nothing new. It's nothing more than a spin-off that doesn't add much to the franchise; it's not a new world, so there's no sense of wonder. Also, the CGI and the movements really evoke the uncanny valley (maybe even more than the other series discussed here recently).

I'm a sucker for cyberpunk so I'll happily swallow anything you throw at me as long as it has neon lights :whistle: , but I really can't give anything more than a 7, maybe 7.5 out of 10 for this series.
I've watched the first two episodes and I concur. I would add that there is too much reliance on martial arts flash at the expense of story/character development. In Blade Runner you actually care about the characters. This, not so much.

Last edited:
Watched the full showing of Fena: Pirate Princess, and it would have been very good if: 1) the dialog was not drowned out by the music and: 2) the show did not end like a TV drama. It's anime, you know eye-candy.
The artwork was great, and had the potential for a lot of adventure - which you would take from the title. Basically disappointed, though if there is another season will give it a second chance.
Another show I watch is Black Clover. There may be another anime show on that will watch, but have to resort to my collection of DVDs for Ghost in the Shell and the Loduss Wars.
I have tried going to Cruncyroll, but not paying for it.
Don't get me wrong - I would rather watch anime then most of the regular TV shows on.
I also thought that Fena: Pirate Princess was ended strangely. I liked it rather a lot, until then.

Started watching 88. Though I much prefer comedy, this is good.

I just watched Wolfwalkers (2020). Thought it was superb. The animation style was different and beautiful. Immediately one of my favourites. Go and watch it. If you're not convinced, this scene gave me chills, small spoiler but less than what the trailer reveals www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmO98-ZWYCc&t

Last edited:
Arcane. Overrated like 99.9% of Netflix shows. Nevertheless, it's worth watching. The worldbuilding, although extremely simple and not original at all (rich people live on the city above, the poor live below ground), it's darksy almost the way I like it, and it reminded me of Dishonored. The CGI works too (Halleluya!), and it feels like a game from Tell Tale.

Follow-up on Arcane: it keeps getting better and better at each episode. The animation and action scenes are flawless. My problem with it though, is that they keep using the trauma formula: a character has a horrible past, and thus he/she has/will have a horrible life, probably as an evil person (justified by the injustice that he/she has suffered). Although I may recognize that they nail that formula, it gets old as you see it being done for every single character in the show.

More on this later, when I watch everything.

Follow-up on Arcane: it keeps getting better and better at each episode.
I found that all the real plot progression was in E1-3. Past that, it mostly seemed to be recycling the same ideas. But that might just be me, and as a visual experience, it was never less than great.

Demon Slayer/ Kimetsu no Yaiba: Entertainment District Arc. FINALLY the new arc. After showing the movie again (divided in seven episodes that make it for seven long weeks), the anime started something fresh. I'm a little disappointed with the pilot though: they promised an astounding one-hour episode (that ended up being 46 min because of commercials), but the result has almost no action, and they just got the red-light district in, like, the last five minutes. I'm really looking forward to what will come up next though.

I got back into watching SPEED RACER

Screenshot 2021-12-06 10.01.48 AM.png

I was watching 'Fist of the North Star' last night. On VHS - only copy I have. An oldie but goodie!

This season of MHA is gettin on my nerves. I hate training arcs. It feels like a gold-digging filler!

I just started Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash. I saw a video about how realistic this Isekai is and, boy, am I liking it!
I also started this season last week.

Police in a Pod. Nice surprise! I always skim through the list of the seasonal anime, but I didn't notice this one. It's a seinen slice-of-life comedy about a rookie cop and her senior. It's funny and it hits close to home because she wanted to be a cop only to receive stable income, and that's something I'm thinking about in the current state of my life!

BLADE RUNNER [something or other]. Young woman as protagonist, has lost her memories; but knows how to fight.

Akebi's sailor uniform. Just beautiful. The animation and the lightning are a masterpice. That, combined with the protagonist's joy and determination, are amazing to watch. I think I've been so interested in a shoujo anime (aimed for little girls, seriously).

Rust–Eater Bisco. This is great. After an explosion, Japan now has huge deserts, and a disease that literally rusts bodies spreads among the people. The worldbuilding is so well-done because you get to see the effects the explosion had on society, instead of being told about it, and you just get it. A lot happens in the first episode. Many interesting characters are introduced and the action scenes are well-animated. This has the potential to be one this season's best.

Tribe Nine. The disappointment of the season. I had high hopes for this one because it's made by the same creator of Akudama Drive and Danganronpa, two classics (one is massively underrated though). Apart from its story being uninteresting, the character design is what caught my attention. The characters have weird designs, but that's all there is to it: weirdness. A good character design tells a story by itself, and I was utterly disappointed to see that they didn't care to do that here.