What Anime and Animation are you currently watching?

Weathering With You (watched on Screen Anime, a new streaming service), the latest film from the director of Your Name.

Disappointingly average. The opening is basically a McDonald's advert - the product placement likely the worst I've seen. I like the realistic depictions of Tokyo, but when product fronts are always turned to face 'the camera' and characters go on about how much they love Big Macs... Anyway, the animation was beautiful at times, but at other times looked a bit weird. A scene seemed to be reused too. The film picked up after the advert of an opening, and there wasn't much obvious product placement for half an hour or so, but I didn't care so much for the main characters who only seemed to care about themselves. Then everything was just hammed up to the max, so much that I didn't really care at all by the end. And the moral of the story seemed to be "let's be selfish, Earth doesn't matter." I can't imagine that was the intention. I'm interested in other Chronner's thoughts if anyone decides to watch it.

I hope this film didn't put potential new anime fans off, as it received a rare wide release at UK cinemas. I was disappointed to miss it at the cinema at the time.

Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-kun, is really funny. But at only 22 or 23 episodes (so far) it just is not enough. This young adolescent boy, whose parents are terrible, is sold by them to a demon, who adopts him as a grandson. So, he has him equipped to pass for a demon, and off to school he goes. :LOL: The school song says something about humans existing only to be demons' food.

I finished watching Gintama, some 350 episodes.

Not anime, but I finished ULTRAMAN X, and started ULTRAMAN ORB, which, to me, seems just too silly to continue.

Started another ULTRAMAN series, ULTRAMAN GINGA; the guy uses a figurine to become it, in human size, or huge. He can become any one of hundreds of creatures whose figurines were scattered upon a mountain. Ultraman, is just one of many. Also have been watching FUTURAMA on HULU.

I much prefer comedy; ULTRAMAN is to me, often funny.

Last edited:
Rewatching FMA: Brotherhood, as I do every so often. Surprised by the things that I'm able to catch, now that I'm older. Also rewatching Attack on Titan, and watching the new and last season. It's being made by another studio, and they put 3D Titans, it's not as good as the other seasons, but still a great watch.
Also, just finishing Great Teacher Onizuka. Very funny!

I have this ritual to rewatch the series that I like since childhood every December and the keeps adding on this list that the month of December is just not enough.
FMA Brotherhood
Attack on Titan
Hunter x Hunter
Rurounis Kenshin (live-action)
and of course, Rick and Morty!
I have so many on my list and its the year-end and MOOCs....
No sleep for the wicked!

Spent a few weeks dealing with all the anime on my 'I'll get round to checking these lists out' stack. After browsing nearly 2000 animes (of which I'd already seen a lot, in fairness) - I found only one keeper: Soukou no Strain (English: STRAIN - STRategic Armoured INfantry).

Here's hoping the next couple of release seasons produce some worthy additions. Spotted a few that I'm interested in checking out: Alice in Deadly School, Soukou Musume Senki, Ex-Arm (outlier, but appealingly brash), Godzilla Singular Point, Shikizakura, Kaizoku Oujo - Fena: Pirate Princess, and Kemono Jihen.

I just started RANMA on HULU. Had already seen the sub, but just prefer it to the dub, whose 1st ep I watched last night. Sadly, just 480 quality.

Watched JUNGLE EMPEROR LEO several days ago. had a vague memory of a fat guy being swallowed by quicksand, from the last time I saw it. & thought, given his buoyancy, it would be unlikely. But the guy was wearing a very large backpack.

I watched the first season of Attack on Titan. This is one of those annoying series which has a promising story but mostly indifferent (and sometimes terrible) execution, meaning I keep watching it to see what happens but rarely enjoy it. It did get better towards the end though. Sadly only S1 is on Netflix, and I have to subscribe to another service to see the rest, though I'm pretty sure I could get it all watched during Crunchyroll's free trial period.

I watched the first season of Attack on Titan. This is one of those annoying series which has a promising story but mostly indifferent (and sometimes terrible) execution, meaning I keep watching it to see what happens but rarely enjoy it. It did get better towards the end though. Sadly only S1 is on Netflix, and I have to subscribe to another service to see the rest, though I'm pretty sure I could get it all watched during Crunchyroll's free trial period.

I adored the first season... Season two on the other hand just got weird (read - pointless escalation) and I gave up on it completely.

I adored the first season... Season two on the other hand just got weird (read - pointless escalation) and I gave up on it completely.

That's interesting, as I've just read quite a few reviews and many say S2 is an improvement. But anyway, I also read some slightly spoilery reviews, and it doesn't look as if the revelations are going to be worth the time investment, so I'm not going to bother.

Ooo, revelations would have been a better word than escalation. It might still be worth checking out to see if you like it though as I'm not the best judge of anime (not the biggest fan at all).

It might still be worth checking out to see if you like it though as I'm not the best judge of anime (not the biggest fan at all).

Nor me, though. I'm getting less and less patient with the way anime characters behave, such as the OTT reactions within dialogue. Anything slightly contentious, angry etc is met with the same kind of strangled gasp as though the character has just confessed to murdering their mother; anything slightly sad is met by another character saying that character's name for no reason. I can't believe Japanese people actually behave this way, and I note that Miyazaki never includes this kind of thing in his films.

Really, the only anime series I have time for now is the original Full Metal Alchemist, and even that has its flaws.

My two problems with the anime of Attack on Titan are that the story itself moves at a glacial speed in the first series. A lot happens but the actual plot and story grinds and slides along at a speed that would make a snail feel fast. The other thing is the character designs can feel a bit samey and so many die that I actually end up a little baffled who is who and who is dead and who is alive of the supporting cast.

That said Humble Bundle currently have a big sale of a bunch of the manga for the story

Re-watched Spirited Away last night for the first time in many years. Didn't like it as much this time around. Still good, but the more grounded elements of the story aren't really that well developed. The score is the highlight for me. One of Hisaishi's best.

For the Winter 2021 season, I picked the last season of AoT, Mushoku Tensei, Kemono Jihen, and Wonder Egg Priority, among others.
Kemono Jihen is just that standard shonen from Shonen Jump (good, but repetitive), Mushoku Tensei is the Fantasy Isekai with lots of polemic stuff that we've been seen almost every season for a couple years now, Wonder Egg Priority is an original anime that came as a surprise. I hope it doesn't let me down.