What Anime and Animation are you currently watching?

I watched the DVDs, good stuff! Still do not have a Blu-ray drive, though.

I'm having a rewatch of RahXephon. This is probably my fourth time through. I can't in all honesty claim it's a great work of art, and there's a fair amount of padding, but the central relationship gets me every time.

I just started Flame of Recca, which has about 50 or 60 episodes, and is old tv aspect ratio. But the important part is that it has just enough humor to satisfy me.

It is about 2 boys born to a ninja clan 400 years ago, who were sent to the present day. The eldest had been presumed to be the heir but the younger one (Recca) also had the sign of leadership. So, the mother of the elder one demanded the death of the younger. But, it was obvious that the elder boy, 4 at the time, had a bad personality.

So, now Recca is 15, and had been brought up by an adoptive father who put a photo of his favorite female celebrity on the mantle as his 'deceased' wife. :LOL:

So, Recca has to battle various enemies, & eventually joins an illegal all-out fighting contest, for some reason, and it has similarities to the one in Dragon Ball, though much more violent.

Great Teacher Onizuka is just my style: enough humor & good story. Already nearing the final episode. I thought I might not like it because it is dubbed in English, but the voices are o.k.

Finally watched the whole of Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood! A good solid anime, if sometimes a bit overly heavy on the "chibi" style animation here and there, but it sets its tone well and whilst that does invade it doesn't distract. Story moves along at a nice speed and sets itself up well for the epic ending. It's also nice to see characters shifting and changing through it and they do spend some good time world and character building through the story.

Recently highly enjoyed Blackfox - nothing new, but done with joy and style. Spent Christmas sampling Armored Trooper Votoms, am intrigued by ID Invaded and had a giggle watching Release the Spyce. Have Psycho-Pass to catch up on and am waiting for the second cours of No Guns Life. Granblue Fantasy season 2 needs me to rewatch Season 1, so it'll have to wait. Plus, of course, watching Koutetsujou No Kabaneri Unato Kessen again, because neofeudal samurai steampunk zombie apocalypse romance with f*ck-off-size armoured trains. :cool:

I am almost finished with Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba and while it is no masterpiece, it is one of the best anime I have seen come out in the last few years. I find myself drawn to the classics of the 80's and 90's, when I first began watching anime. Newer shows tend to bore me, maybe it is the pacing, or the characters, or the themes, I have no idea. Probably going to take a nice long break from anime after this one though.

I recently watched BATTLE GIRLS, UFO Ultramaiden Valkyrie, nice to get a few screen caps in 1080, since I 1st watched this on DVD. One Punch Man, s1 & 2. I think 3 is op the way? Not anime, but on CR, ULTRAMAN X, just resumed watching this. Dears, again, 1st watched on DVD.

Whats up with Dr. Stone? There should have been new eps starting late December!

I really like lighthearted stuff. I enjoy laughter; about the only cardio exercise I get.

Last edited:
Not watching anything currently, but my almost-a-teen daughter wants me to watch Violet Evergarden. (She thinks I'd like how it's drawn.) Any thoughts on it?

I'm not sure but I think it is what they call shojo (?) as anime genre. It's OK. I found it better than I expected. One season. It's sad and emotional. It is about finding yourself; your call. It's more than coming of age though but yeah like that. Heavier. It has steampunk elements. It's not toonish or explosive kind of drawing. It's more realistic. Not really, anime realistic, lol.

just found Osomatsu-kun on CR. Gag style humor. I love it.

also found Seton Academy, also on CR. But this one has gross details about animals. I did not want to know that about Koalas. :sick:

So, what is up with Dr. Stone? As I recall, it was supposed to have new episode in January, but it is now March!

Hayate the Combat Butler. Just finished season 1; too bad #2 has only about 25 episodes. Very funny show, but requires pausing as notes at the top of the screen are wiped away too soon.

So, this HHS boy, is abandoned by his parents, who also leave him with a 150,000,000 yen debt. Somehow, he becomes a butler to a young adolescent girl, who falls in love with him. Oh, she is very rich. This is one of those clueless boy, surrounded by girls, all competing for his affection things. Very entertaining. Many references to other works; thus the notes at the top of the screen. CR for some reason, forgot English subs partway into s1. HULU has them, but, no s2.

I'd almost sworn off anime but just a couple of weeks ago Adult Swim here in the US started rerunning Satoshi Kon's Paranoia Agent. A very enigmatic short series that is about the strangest thing I've seen in anime or all of film for that matter. It's ostensibly about facing up to whatever you might feel guilty about but is actually WAY deeper than that with what seems substantial undercurrents about society's unrealistic expectations and even a mention of Japan's ongoing neuroses about suicide and Atomic war. Anybody else seen it?

Like most people I was really distressed when Kon died. He showed a lot of promise. Paprika made Inception look sick and Inception wasn't really a bad movie

(Apolly loggy woggies if I posted this before in another life. I don't think I did but it's possible and I don't want to slog through 26 pages. Sorry)

Last edited: