What Anime and Animation are you currently watching?

Oh, I am not saying that, but because the main characters are cute little kids, and the thing is silly, that it might be mistaken for a kids' or kid-friendly show. Japanese standards are very different from Western ones, especially American. I have Fred Ladd's book Astroboy and Anime come to America [not sure of the exact title], in which he detailed the process of screening each Tetsuwan Atomu (Astroboy) episode, and deciding some were unfit for syndication in the U.S. Interesting stuff!

Re-Kan is a 12 or 13 episode high school comedy that features ghosts and such. The protagonist is a girl who, unlike most others, can see & hear spirits. One other girl is especially creeped-out by spirits, and provides much of the humor.

I finished Dororo, & comparing it to the old B&W version, graphic violence and such is more extreme; while plot elements also differ. Because Tezuka's family controls the business, unlike Disney, new programs are more in line with Tezuka Osamu's standards than Disney programs and films are to Walt's.

I finished Dororo, & comparing it to the old B&W version, graphic violence and such is more extreme; while plot elements also differ. Because Tezuka's family controls the business, unlike Disney, new programs are more in line with Tezuka Osamu's standards than Disney programs and films are to Walt's.

Oh yes, Dororo was very extreme. Dismembered limbs, blood and violence throughout. It was a brutal and sad story.

I'm actually a little behind on anime at the moment. So far, I've watched the first episodes of Fire Force and Dr Stone, which are the two popular choices for this season, but neither really struck me as being great. I'll probably check out some more today and get back with what I think are worth watching this season. It will likely be the case that my favorites will be the continuing/returning animes (Fairy Tail, Dan Machi, Black Clover).

I think it will be a weak season for anime...

Wish we could just skip this season and go straight to October, which is looking to be one of the strongest anime seasons we've had in a long time:
  • Psycho-Pass
  • Sword Art Online: Alicization
  • My Hero Academia
  • Food Wars
  • The Seven Deadly Sins
  • Fate/Grand Order
  • Chihayafuru
  • Radiant
  • Fairy Gone
  • Granblue Fantasy
So many good animes! And that's not even all the animes that have potential to be good starting in October:
  • Phantasy Star
  • Didn't I Say to Make My Abilities Average in the Next Life?!
  • No Guns Life
  • Stand My Heroes
All look like they could be worth watching as well.

Last edited:
  • Granblue Fantasy? I checked its wiki page, & have seen the previous stuff. Very much like it!
  • The Seven Deadly Sins Its is ok, but after s1, not my thing.
  • My Hero Academia As much as I hasted hs, I really enjoy this.
  • Sword Art Online: Alicization It took a few episodes for me to get into this; though earlier SAO were great.
  • Radiant Very funny; love the guy who loves the girl with the hand puppet papa!

But I am a binge watcher; & I dislike waiting for another episode. :unsure:

That's interesting about SAO.

I found that SAO started off really strong in the first season, but when they ended the Aincrad arc early after only one cour, it went downhill for me until the Mother's Rosario arc finally came along. Yuuki's story made for some great characterization.

Personally, I think Alicization is much stronger than Alfhiem and Gun Gale arcs.

I just stumbled upon Dragon Ball GT, & thoroughly enjoy it. I have been binge watching it since! it seems an old series, as its aspect ratio tells the tale, but chronologically, would come very late, as everyone is rather old.

Funny thing about GT is that it wasn't canon. It wasn't written by the original author, so when Dragon Ball Super came along, the GT story arc ceased to exist -- it got replaced by Super.

I actually preferred GT. I couldn't get into Super. I found it way too pretentious.

Just re watched "Dark Star", has anyone seen this film, it's a little gem of a movie!
Forget Star Wars and Star Trek this is how the future will probably look like, star ship crews on years long missions, bored out of their skulls and slowly going mad, it's just so damned funny!
Plus the effects are really good seeing as how it was all filmed on a small budget, I like the effect of a force field locking them in place in their seats when they go into hyperdrive!
Also the pet alien is great, the scene in the lift shaft is amazing, I also like the self-aware nova bombs!
If anyone comes across this one give it a view, I don't think you will regret it!!!

I'm a tremendous fan of Dark Star (1974). I agree @BigBadBob141 this film is another great example of what some people are like in real life. Not the perfect characters you see in many movies. Time to watch this again!

1568089270242.png

But, since this is an animation thread. I've been watching the 1967 Spider Man cartoons.

1568090800792.png

Last edited:
I was watching the 60s Spider-man series a few years ago on NF, until it was no longer available. I should check to see if it is again available. Mysterio was my favorite villain, though the Sand Man is cool, & may have inspired the T-1000.

I adore Magic Girls, & found CREAMY MAMI on Prime. Way cute. Also just started watching Shin-chan's outer space adventures, also on Prime.

I have series one to four of Peaky Blinders on disc, just haven't got around to watching them yet.
However I stumbled across them in BBC4 the other night, they are showing them all three episodes a night, there's six to each series, now half way through series three, second half tomorrow.
I find it as gripping as Game of Thrones and just as adult, certainly not one for the kiddies, very, very well acted, you watch one episode and it's packed full of stuff, after what seems ages it ends, you look at the clock and only an hour has gone by!!!

Finished Shin-Chan Vs. Aliens the other day. 15 10 minute episodes, & rather funny.

I found a bunch of the Anderson's puppetmation shows from long ago. I had borrowed Fireball XL5 d #1 from NF some time ago. The transparent robot is much better in 1080, though. Interesting details.

I just watched the 1st 8 episodes of ACTUALLY, I AM / My Monster Secret; an anime on Prime. Sadly, there are only 13 episodes. I find it very entertaining. It is a story of a high school boy surrounded by eccentric fantasy girls. 1 is a vampire; all are funny. Comedy/ fantasy / romance

Just finished watching Kimetsu no Yaiba. My god, that's one hell of an anime.

finished ACTUALLY, I AM / My Monster Secret; & resumed watching Inuyashiki (on Prime). This is a sci-fi story about two guys, one elderly and good, another young and a sociopath, who end up being rebuilt by aliens into super cyborgs or are they robots. :unsure: Anyway, the young guy goes about using his 'powers' to kill people, while the old guy is determined to stop him.

The 3rd episode has the old guy wanting to fly, since he knows the young guy can, But, he has no idea how to activate that power. He knows he cannot arrive in time to save the villain's next victims, unless he does. So, all else having failed to activate the flight power, he sings the Mighty Atom theme! :giggle: While this was amusing, this series is serious and the villain kills remorselessly. :devilish:

Magical Sempai on CR; this is about a hs girl's attempt to start a magic club; too bad nobody wants to join. So, she cons this one boy into joining, but she cannot perform even the easiest of tricks. The boy wants to join other clubs, but she is very persistent. :ROFLMAO:

Himouto! Umaru-chan Also on CR. Another HS comedy. A girl behaves properly at school & gets very high grades. But at home, she is like a spoiled 3 year-old, and is depicted as such. :ROFLMAO: Her poor elder brother has to deal with her tantrums & such, since neither parent is at home.

Just finished Archer and feel its about time to give Samurai Jack another airing...

New seasons: Radiant has two (2) new episodes as of yesterday, while My Hero Academia has one (1). South Park has 3, and they are available commercial-free on HULU. I am still in season 11, but did watch the 1st 2 in the new season.

I watched a 14 episode series about an amusement park with supernatural creatures instead of guys wearing animal costumes. AMAGI BRILLIANT PARK was really fun to watch!

i JUST started watching cannon busters, a weird NF anime featuring a guy who is immortal-- well, he does die, but then revives. This is my kind of show; funny, violent, & weird.

So, the bad guy overthrows the king, who sends his son away with his top general to protect him. Somehow the prince's robot got separated from him, and ends up with the immortal guy. The guy has a car with a video game-type coin slot in it; it requires coins to make it run.

I love this!

I just realized that The Flintstones ran for over 5 seasons! There was one particular episode I wanted to see, & finding the series available on Prime, I searched for it:
FLINTSTONES, S5, 09, The Gruesomes, 1717.jpg

Being good neighbors, F & B are talked into babysitting the new next door neighbors' kid. Goblin Gruesome is a bit more than they can handle, but other things, including a man-eating plant and the above oddity, are more than just annoying.

Given Barney's size, and the angles involved, this should be the end of Fred (aside from buoyancy), but somehow B extracts Fred. I recall something about physics and cartoons. :unsure:

Season 5, episode 9, The Gruesomes (naughty to use that word as a noun).

Lupin the 3rd: The Castle of Cagliostro (1979)

I've been repeatedly watching Hayao Miyazaki's action movie masterpiece. I haven't seen this great amine for quite a while, but since it popped up on Netflix, I've got the chance to view it over-and-over. :D Bliss.

1573750658467.png