What Anime and Animation are you currently watching?

It might be that Netflix and Amazon have not released it in the west yet. It aired 10th May in Japan. So unless you go through other channels :sneaky: you will have to wait a bit.

Spring season shows I'm watching:

continuing from previous seasons...

Karakuri Circus (Amazon) This show is something of a hot mess, but still it draws me in. In it's third and final cour now it's a 200 year spanning story of puppets, alchemy, disease and faction war. I can't really give a clearer idea of what it's like without an essay. Parts are really good, other parts are super melodramatic. Jumps back and forth through time.

Dororo (Amazon) Possibly my AOTY. I've been hooked since episode 1. Somewhat loose adaptation of an Osamu Tezuka manga. In my opinion, this is one rare case where the anime is MUCH better than the manga. Lots of body horror, but not gratuitous. Lots of tragedy and heart. Makes me cry regularly.

new to this season...

Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba (CR, Funi) At first I thought this would be a generic shonen but there are several things that set it apart. First, the setting and atmosphere is pretty unique. Taisho era Japan (1912-1926) provides both very rustic, rural settings as well as towns bristling with telephone polls and cities lit up with artificial light where the well to do dress in the latest western fashions. Second, it's produced by UFOtable which means the animation is top tier but also the style of the art and animation is really gorgeous. Third, I find that for once I actually really like the protagonist of a shonen. Tanjiro is earnest, hardworking, and fights for what's left of his family after a fatal demon attack. The first several episodes really put him through the ringer and allow you to see that however powerful he is later on, he earned every bit of strength he has the hard way.

Fruits Basket 2019 (CR, Funi) Furuba is finally getting it's much deserved and begged for reboot and this time they're adapting the whole manga! I am more excited than words can say. Some have complained that this version isn't as focused on comedy as the original anime was, but I find this to be a good choice when the goal is to adapt the whole story. Because the manga actually gets pretty dark as it works through all the family tragedy of the Sohmas. Personally, I can't wait to see the reactions of anime-only viewers.

Hitoribocchi no 00 Seikatsu (CR) My comedy slice of life with cute girls for the season. This show is adorable and hilarious. If you have ever suffered at all from social anxiety I highly recommend it.

Kono Oto Tomare! (Funi) Manga adaptation about a high school koto club with plenty of inner turmoil and struggle as well as regular high school joys and struggles. I'm actually behind on this now, but the very brief glimpses of actual koto performances still make this well worth it in my opinion. I never knew the koto could be so amazing.

One Punch Man season 2 (Hulu) I'm behind on this one too. A lot of people are complaining about the animation for this season because it's done by a new production company and no, it's not as good as Madhouse. Personally, animation quality has never been all that important to me as long as the story and characters are good. What I've watched so far has been enjoyable.

RobiHachi (Funi) This show doesn't seem to have many fans but I've been enjoying it. It's a wacky space road trip adventure not dissimilar from Space Dandy though so far has not delved into some of the more meaningful, thematic kinds of stories Dandy did in season 2. Still, it's a fun romp.

Older shows I've been watching...

Garo: Crimson Moon (Funi) Took me a long time to try this one out because everyone rated it so poorly. But it seems to me they mostly rated it so badly in comparison with the first Garo anime, which admittedly was pretty great. This is not as good. But it's not bad either. I enjoy the interesting setting. You don't get many anime set in the Heian era.

Wolf's Rain (Funi) Been meaning to watch this for ages and finally finished it the other day. Wow. Not a show for the faint of heart. Dark, brooding, does not have a "happy ending". But does have a fascinating post-apocalyptic setting and mythology. Main characters are wolves who can also appear human, but the show never makes them act human. Lots of interesting side characters and a creepy villain. Personally, I think it's a masterpiece, but it's not for everyone.

Sunday Without God (CR) Finished this yesterday. Based on a light novel series. Fascinating (I use that word a lot but I mean it) setting in a world where "God abandoned humanity" in as much as he stopped people from dying but also from having children. You can choose to basically live forever as one of the "deceased" or to be buried by a Gravekeeper which kills you permanently. Civilization seems to have broken down in the 15 years since this happened, with pockets of people living here and there in cities and settlements. Story follows a young Gravekeeper, a rare existence, as she travels around meeting people and learning more about the world. In some ways reminds me of Kino's Journey but more fantasy. I really loved it. I would say the ending wasn't entirely satisfying but only because it needs another season since I believe there are several other novels not adapted.

Dororo (Amazon) Possibly my AOTY. I've been hooked since episode 1. Somewhat loose adaptation of an Osamu Tezuka manga. In my opinion, this is one rare case where the anime is MUCH better than the manga. Lots of body horror, but not gratuitous. Lots of tragedy and heart. Makes me cry regularly.
I also have the r2 original, & a happy acquisition of an r1 version with English subs. English books, too.

I agree that the new version is much more intense than Tezuka's original; I have been comparing it story by story with the notes I have from the original. Different, yes; though not sure I would call it better. Itachi is not Hamegg, Dororo's papa in not Boon, etc. New guys are o.k., but--

Hitoribocchi no 00 Seikatsu (CR) My comedy slice of life with cute girls for the season. This show is adorable and hilarious. If you have ever suffered at all from social anxiety I highly recommend it.
I found "Hitoribocchi no Marumaru" on CR, but not "Hitoribocchi no 00 Seikatsu"

I started watching The Promised Neverland on CN, but somehow deleted e8 without watching it. So, I found the series on CR, and binge watched it. It was not my type of show, as I much prefer comedy, but I did laugh at certain scenes.

I finally resumed Attack on Titan, picking up at the next to last s2 episode. Likewise, I found mopre than a few things laughable, though I did bond with certain characters. I am at e 56 or close to it, just a few more currently available.

Pacific Heat, I think I already mentioned this, just finished s1.

One Piece, Black Clover, Fairy Tale, South Park, Comical Psychosomatic Medicine, Ninja Girl and Samurai Master, both of those two are mere minutes long. Also, these two have rapid-fire dialog, and are difficult to watch using subtiles and Japanese audio.

My Hero Academia, Mob Psycho along with most of those others, are waiting for new episodes; but these tow have finished most recent seasons. :cry:

I also have the r2 original, & a happy acquisition of an r1 version with English subs. English books, too.

I agree that the new version is much more intense than Tezuka's original; I have been comparing it story by story with the notes I have from the original. Different, yes; though not sure I would call it better. Itachi is not Hamegg, Dororo's papa in not Boon, etc. New guys are o.k., but--
I'm sorry. I'm super confused by what you're referring to here. Who is Hamegg?

I found "Hitoribocchi no Marumaru" on CR, but not "Hitoribocchi no 00 Seikatsu"

Right. Marumaru = OO. Wasn't thinking when I used 00 there.

I started watching The Promised Neverland on CN, but somehow deleted e8 without watching it. So, I found the series on CR, and binge watched it. It was not my type of show, as I much prefer comedy, but I did laugh at certain scenes.

Yeah, TPN is not comedy at all. More of an SFF action/thriller. I can't wait for season 2!

The Promised Neverland is not even remotely close to comedy. :p

But it was good. Not often that anime goes down the psychological thriller/horror route. I still remember the final scenes of the first episode.
Finding Conny dead after all the cuteness and buildup during the episode, and then Mother holding Conny's toy, the expression on her face. Shudder...

Last good anime I can think of that frightened me like that are Mirai Nikki and Another, from way back in 2012. Although, the following episodes of TPN, while keeping up the psychological thriller aspect, failed to capture that same horror of the first episode.

Still, I'm looking forward to the second season (already confirmed).

Last edited:

When I think of comedy, I think of Mahoujin Guruguru (the 2017 remake)

Have you watched it? If not, you should. Hilarious.

Oh, and Re-Kan! Although Re-Kan's intended audience is female, it is still brilliant.

I'm sorry. I'm super confused by what you're referring to here. Who is Hamegg?
Hamegg is the guy who portrayed Itachi in the original Dororo:
Dororo_01_521.jpg

001Subs_Birth _498.jpg

Among other roles, he was the ringmaster in Astroboy. Tezuka used his literary characters as actors, he even had a pay scale for them.

So, in Dororo, he had used Hamagg to portray Itachi ('weasel'), along with several other of his actors in various roles, IN BOTH THE MANGA & ANIME.

HIBUKURO'S CAMP (Dororo_v1_209 #1).jpg

HAMEGG, LEFT, BOON ('Hibukuro', right of him) .

I hope it is not dubbed!

Hope not either. I'm pretty sure the american script writers / voice actors would ruin the jokes. I'm impressed as it is that the subtitled version handled it so well. Although I will warn that you need to read those subtitles dang fast at some points. ;)

Last edited:
"What are you currently watching?"
Reality. It's an interactive story & it's awesome. You have to pay really close attention though. The authors are tricky and things are not always what they seem.

Tezuka used his literary characters as actors, he even had a pay scale for them.

So, in Dororo, he had used Hamagg to portray Itachi ('weasel'), along with several other of his actors in various roles, IN BOTH THE MANGA & ANIME.

I see. I had never read or seen anything by Tezuka until Dororo so I was not aware the design of those characters was used in other works as well, I only knew their names in Dororo.

Tezuka was called Manga no Kami-sama (God of Comics); in fact, there is a book about him titled God of comics. It has details on his most important series and 'actors' / characters.

Amazon: God of Comics

Just thought of another fantastic comedy anime, and I'm tempted to watch this again myself.

K-On. Cant believe I'd forgotten how much this show made me laugh until i happened to see a YouTube video funny moments compilation. It is comedy gold. Highly recommended. Although it isn't on CR. I think Hulu holds the streaming rights for it in the US, but you should be able to watch it on AnimeLab (Competition to CR).

Even as a slice of life anime, it is great. It's about a group of misfit school girls trying to start up a rock band and the crazy antics they get up to in the process. The music and emotional support of the school is bonus.

No, I have not seen either of those, but CR offers an English translated tile of the 1st 1:
MAGICAL CIRCLE GURU-GURU
I added it to my list of things to watch. I hope it is not dubbed!
So, I finished this last night. Though the main characters a kids, I do not recommend this for kids. There are a few things that made me cringe. One was a guy who was holding a sword, using not his hands, but, his cheeks. :sick: There was at least one more weird/inappropriate thing, a boy is visualizing an unseen character, based on the character's name. it was the belly view of a male dog.

Yes, this show has rapid-fire dialog, & watching with Japanese audio & English subs does require frequent pauses. But it is funny. Not as bad with the rapid-fire dialog as Excel Saga, but pausing is essential.

So, I finished this last night. Though the main characters a kids, I do not recommend this for kids. There are a few things that made me cringe. One was a guy who was holding a sword, using not his hands, but, his cheeks. :sick: There was at least one more weird/inappropriate thing, a boy is visualizing an unseen character, based on the character's name. it was the belly view of a male dog.

Yeah. Definitely not for kids. It's full of sex jokes which makes it more akin to western animated shows like Final Space, or South Park, Family Guy or Futurama, just with a proper story. None of which are intended for kids.

What always made me cringe was his little sidekick that doubled as a backpack like storage for any item... and how they procured said items... *shudder*

Speaking in general, it is always surprising when I encounter somebody -- not saying you're that somebody -- who believes all animated shows are for kids. More often then not, they are actually targeted for young to new adult (16-20). These aren't the morning cartoons people are used to watching when they were kids, but some people seem unable to separate anime from those cartoons.

Last edited: