What are you currently watching?

hitmouse

Watched over Christmas:
The Boy and the Beast. Fun mismatched duo coming of age story. The kids enjoyed it and so did I.
Your Name. One of the highest grossing Japanese films last year, apparently. Slightly odd (to Western eyes perhaps) low key romantic story of adolescent body swapping between a Tokyo boy and a country girl, with time travel thrown in. The story is skilfully told. Beautiful animation. The kids were a bit nonplussed at the ending.

Both of these are free to watch on Amazon Prime TV.

Summer Wars. Completely brilliant, absolutely bonkers, and a massive hit in our house. Think Japanese anime teenage romance/family comedy (pretty girl convinces awkward computer nerd to go home with her in the college holidays to pretend to be her boyfriend, in order to get her family off her back) set in the countryside, combined with a Matrix/Neuromancer type story, where the Earth needs to be saved. Fantastic animation. Best anime I have seen for a while.

Jeffbert

Just finished Recovery of an MMO Junkie, 12 episodes. It is about two people who meet as characters in a game & fall in love.

Last edited:

Talysia

Lady of Autumn
Currently having a look at Sengoku Musou. It's nice to watch a bit of historical anime, even if it is a bit of a loose adaptation.:)

Jeffbert

I have watched quite a few anime since my last post. Lupin series 4 & in the midst of series 5. Another Lupin title, this one about Fujiko Mine; a short series, about 12 or 13 episodes.

Enjoying Black Clover & My Hero Academia, but these are relatively new series, and not enough content is available for my voracious appetite. :( Started My Hero Academia on Adult Swim, then continued on Crunchyroll. about 60 episodes currently available there.

Not anime, but watched a few Ultraman series on CR; currently watching U Mebius.

Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches So far, the guy accidentally kissed a girl as they both tumbled down the HS stairway, & they switched bodies. :LOL: I think there was a Disney film decades ago, in which the mom & daughter switch bodies; I never saw it. This series is fun!

Jeffbert

Just started watching SOUTHPARK on HULU. I really enjoyed the parody of Star Trek's DAGGER OF THE MIND. There was also an episode that had a red shirt kid meet the fate common to many similarly attired guys. :ROFLMAO:

Scookey

Author of the AD2045 sci-fi series
Just started watching SOUTHPARK on HULU. I really enjoyed the parody of Star Trek's DAGGER OF THE MIND. There was also an episode that had a red shirt kid meet the fate common to many similarly attired guys. :ROFLMAO:
Southpark the Movie, remains the only film I have ever seen in a cinema where the entire audience burst out laughing. The inspiration was the song "Shut your (something) face (something, something)." It still brings a smile even thinking about it.
Totally outrageous series, especially for Kenny (who dies in every episode) but raised some good points too. Like the episode where the internet went down everywhere and people walked around like zombies or met their online chat friends in person and had no clue how to talk face to face. Quite a comment on the times we live in - especially for those with kids...

HareBrain

Smeerp of Wonder
Staff member
Supporter
I recently watched Grimgar: Ashes and Illusions, which I bought without any prior knowledge because it looked like it might be quite fun and the art looked good.

The set-up is one that apparently is now a trope, though I wasn't aware of it before, where a bunch of teenagers from this world are transported to a game world. In this case they have no knowledge of their previous lives, and six no-hopers (like being picked last for school sports) form a party and have to kill goblins to make enough money to survive. The first battles, where they have trouble bringing even a solitary goblin down and find killing it upsetting as well as dangerous, feel quite realistic, but the whole thing then becomes repetitive, loses any moral questioning, and there are some truly annoying aspects to the relationships within the party. Shame, as it seemed promising at first. I'd be interested if anyone can recommend anything similar but which doesn't have its flaws.

Jeffbert

I started watching Mob Psycho 100 on Adult Swim, then switched to CRUNCHYROLL. The 8th episode was extremely violent! Already CR is carrying the 2nd season.

AnnWanges

I'm currently watching Dororo series, It's an extremely realistic anime and I like the atmosphere of that historic time. I've always been in love with Japanise culture and Samurai's time, I'm eager to learn Japanise so badly.

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Time Team
on Youtube.
I watched all the Roman TV series episodes last year - I'm currently watching through the specials touching on anything before the Tudor period. Just watched Special 22, about Dinnington Roman Villa. Have also downloaded the archaeology report on it. :)