real people's names from SF&F

Cloud

Rahvin's Grammy
Do you know anyone who is named after a SFF character? Are you looking through your bookshelves for inspiration on naming your kid?

My daughter and her husband borrowed a whole bunch of my books for inspiration for their kids. One name they really loved was Falion for a boy. I hated it! I just kept thinking (phallic, Prince Valium, etc.) Fortunately--they have all girls. Names can be so tricky!

But I do have one grandaughter named Rahvin for out of the RJ books.

Calling your kid Nymeria? Thats just nasty. Come to think of it, Eddard and Arya are pretty horrendous names to live with too.

But quite seriously, how much do Rafal and Karen HATE THEIR KID???
NYMERIA DAENERYS CERSEI SMIGRODZKI

was born in early May in Charlottesville, Virginia, to Rafal and Karen Smigrodzki. Here's Nymeria and her mother. Nymeria is the small one. Karen tells me that she liked the name Daenerys for her daughter, while her husband liked Nymeria and Cersei, so they decided to use all three. If ever a girl was destined for a crown...

well, I know someone who named their daughter Nefarious (which of course is a real word, not a SFF name, but it's a doozy)

Nymeria is better than a lot of names Ive heard.
Plaxico Burress comes to mind. ;)

Cloud said:
well, I know someone who named their daughter Nefarious (which of course is a real word, not a SFF name, but it's a doozy)

A friend of my family's called their child (I think it was a girl) Nemesis, citing the Greek pantheon....

I knew someone called Titus, although that was from both Mervyn Peake and Shakespeare.

I've named pets after characters from books, does that count?! Had a Mayweed and a Madder. (both rats)
Watched Bad Girls on TV last night and one of the characters was called Fidelity! How bad's that!!

Rane Longfox said:
Calling your kid Nymeria? Thats just nasty. Come to think of it, Eddard and Arya are pretty horrendous names to live with too.

But quite seriously, how much do Rafal and Karen HATE THEIR KID???

Just fell off may chair after reading that. It's one thing to be a fan, but I think this pretty much guarantees that their kid is going to be a Goodkind fan out of spite.

I have a friend who named his son Conner, after Highlander ... thats at least a manageable name.

BookStop said:
I grew up with a kid named Lando, but this was befoere Star Wars so maybe GL stole it from him..????

Believe it or not, there was a Pope called Lando... Almost worth all that religion just so one day I could get elected Pope, call myself Lando II, and get around in a natty powder blue half-cape.

ive met a luke who says he was named after skywalker - unfortunatly i have no proof of that