Which is the Best Series or Trilogy or Single?

Which is the Best Fantasy/Sci. Fi. - Series, Trilogy or Single?

• Total voters
What an outstandingly silly list of options, only redeemed by “ other”.

Why I'm not a big fan of delving into the ancient past and resurrecting threads that should never again see light of day, silly posts you've made that are now completely irrelevant to who you are now :)

The problem being that even back that this was a very limited and arbitrary selection and no real explanation as why they should be the choices and selections for the best Trilogies I was curious as to see what people in the here and now think on this issue.

Last edited:
I voted Dune as a single entry.

I wouldn't have put Star Wars in a poll about "best books". Besides, the poll appears to lean toward the Fantasy spectrum of SF&F.

Last edited:
I voted Dune as a single entry.

I wouldn't have put Star Wars in a poll about "best books".

Star Wars is a movie phenomenon and not a literally one . The first three books are little ore then movie tie ins which tend to not be the stuff of great literature.

The op was only here for 24h. Assuming he was 12 years old some allowances can be made for the rather novel list.

I only read one of the Vorkosigan books but it was very enjoyable. I must try and get back into the series.

I only read one of the Vorkosigan books but it was very enjoyable. I must try and get back into the series.

The first book Shards of Honor was somewhat pedestrian, girl meets boy on alien planet, but introduces the main characters and the social psychology of Barrayaran culture. It was the 2nd book Barrayar that blew me away.

Came here too late to "Like" some of the previous suggestions, including Feist, LOTR, Bujold & a few others.
Voted "Other" specifically because there was no option for Niven's Known Space series. Odd that it has not been mentioned.

Last edited:
Harry Potter was OK for children's fantasy.
Never read any Star Wars.
Song Of Ice And Fire I haven't read through I have watched up to season six of Game Of Thrones, hated the fact that Jon Snow was resurrected after a perfectly good death scene, murdered by his own men after make some very hard and unpopular choices, very bad plotting I thought, nearly ruined the series for me there and then!
Dune was OK as SF goes but from what I've heard the rest of the books in the series get progressively worse!
Lord Of The Rings can be a bit of a slog at times but I think it's well worth it in the end!!!

As a generalisation,the first book of a series is the best one, with gradual drop off in quality as the sequels go on.

A case in point for me is Alistair Reynolds "Revelation Space" Series and John Scalzi's "Old Man's War". Although i am in no way saying that these sequels aren't worth reading, i loved them, but they just weren't up there with the first book in my opinion.

I read a lot of the earlier Star Wars books. They're okay, but not great SF. Something of a guilty pleasure of mine.
Dune is superb, but i could never get into any of Herbert's Sequels.

I think stand alone books are better, but i do like to return to the familiar comfort of a known universe.