Books to Movies --> what should be next?

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Here's a general question - which books should be considered for turnnig into movies next?

But in making your suggestions, do bear in mind the way that movies are usually different - not least in shortened content, but also in terms of artistic licence with the plot.

So...which books do people think would still make very decent movies, despite the limitations of the screen?

Very interesting question!

I think I would like to see a decent version of the Chronicles of Narnia. The old series just isn't good enough IMO...

I think they are great stories, and they deserve great films. If there are to be any...

Nothing until they learn to use CGI properly. If I want to watch a cartoon I watch a cartoon.

Sorry, I didn't catch your meaning nemesis...

Maybe it's because I don't know what CGI is... :) (Except for Common Gateway Interface, which I doubt is what you mean... :D)

I'm guessing that he's being critical of the use of computer graphics in films these days. :) I think he's mention this before. Not quite sure what CGI actually stands for here - Computer Graphic Interface??

www.narnia.com has news about the adaptation of the books to film.

I'd like to see David Eddings "The Belgariad" converted. Although, I think it would make a better tv series than movies.

I'd hate to say anything...I'm usually disappointed. Did anyone see Clan of The Cave Bear? Was that supposed to be based on the book? Did anyone tell the writer/director/producer???

LOTR has been the best adaptation I've seen so far. I'm still a little disappointed that so much good stuff was changed or left out. I do understand that movies have time limits but...maybe they should have made it a TV series.

I suppose if we lived in Perfect, then I would like to see all the Camber series (Katherine Kurtz) and the Mad Ship and Farseer books by Robin Hobb.

Yes, they are very good books (at least the first three are...it sort of drifted after that). The movie was definitely a joke - so completely not based on the book that it seems as if they were trying to do that! Besides that, Daryll Hannah is not a good actress, at least IMHO.

The public tv version of The Hitchhikers Guide was actually pretty good - with really cheesy effects that were fun (a la Dr. Who).

I haven't seen The Hulk yet but going by the ads, I'm already disappointed. The Hulk is a cartoon in a live action movie! Yuck. Make the whole thing a cartoon or use a Lou Ferigno double. Plus, he seems to have all the super powers of Superman, Spiderman and Captain America rolled into one. I loved the TV series because they were good stories with some fun action scenes. I don't recall him leaping onto airplanes and such. Just beating the (*&&^(&*% out of the bad guys. Is nothing sacred anymore? :'(

Peter Jackson has done a good job on LOTR because he has had a long time to work and lots of support. Paying attention to detail is important when doing an adaptation, he seems to have done that well. If only they could have split them into six instead of three so we could have met Tom Bombadil. ;D

I remember the old Hulk TV series - and the superb sad music at the end. That production always seemed to try and emphasise the human tragedy behind Dr Banner, but also how he was able to try and use his curse to help others as he could. From what little I saw of the comics, it's just "bash-bash-bash" - so I have diificulty seeing where plot comes nito it. But I'm a snob like that. :)

I do not like the overuse of CGI in films. It is horrible. Star Wars II is a cartoon with real actors. I hoped we went past that after Bedknobs and Broomsticks. Real models please until computer graphic artists learn how to use realistically lighted textures.

Bedknobs and Broomsticks happens to be one of my favorite movies! I love old Angela Lansbury movies. Has anyone seen "The Court Jester" with Danny Kaye? I love that silly stuff!

However, I do agree with the overuse of CGI in some films (Attackof the Clones - yes, there was just way too much and it did make it seem cartoonish) and the inappropriate use in others (The Hulk - he should have been live action, it just doesn't look right the way they did it). There are many, however that use it well, best example: LOTR.

The reason LOTR uses CGI so well is because it uses real models with real textures first. :)

Over-reliance on CGI has become far too widespread. Lucas has especially become very bad at it. The whole point of the film experience is to create illusion - but if the method of that illusion are too obvious, the illusion is shattered.

I've been waiting and waiting for someone to put "Stranger In A Strange Land" on film.
Can't imagine who'd they'd cast, though.

Any suggestions? (Just in case I suddenly become rich enough to finance such a project)

Back in the seventies, there was speculation that they would film Stranger in a Strange Land with David Bowie playing the role of Valentine Michael Smith. This, of course, never happened, which I think is too bad. I'm not sure I can imagine anyone else in the role, and Bowie is too old to pull it off now, I'm afraid.

Maybe he should have done that instead of "The Man who Fell to Earth". A nice beginning - but towards the end of the film I can simply hear a marketing executive shouting that they need "sex and guns" to make it sell. Sad, too sad. Or did I miss the boat on that one?

No, I don't think you missed the boat at all, Brian. I saw "The Man Who Fell To Earth" and felt it was a waste of Bowie's talents. The film didn't know whether it wanted to be a science fiction film or a "message" film, and so it failed on both counts. I've tried to watch it again, since I first saw it, to see if I missed something the first time through. I just can't make myself sit through it again.

Back