Books to Movies --> what should be next?

Having just read David Williams' When the English Fall, I think that would translate very well to the big screen.

Michael Ondaatje's In The Skin Of A Lion as a movie. I think it could be very artmospheric.

Anyone remember The Seventh Tower series? I’d love to see that as a trilogy perhaps

I'm halfway through Sassinak by Anne McCaffery and Elizabeth Moon and I keep thinking this was written expressly to be made into a film or television series. Given today's film technology it could be a pretty damn good one.

Give it to Taratino:oops:

He would be the wrong choice for that him. But that said, I would love to see him do Harry Harrison's Bill The Galactic Hero . I want to see his take on the Bloater Star Drive. :D Or how about The Stainless Steel Rat?

He would be the wrong choice for that him. But that said, I would love to see him do Harry Harrison's Bill The Galactic Hero . I want to see his take on the Bloater Star Drive. :D Or how about The Stainless Steel Rat?
I would say no to Tarantino for any of these. There's a certain wryness to Harrison's writing that I don't think Tarantino could film. Harrison's work would require a subtle touch to bring out. Tarantino is strictly a say it with a sledgehammer type of filmmaker.

I'd love to see some of Peter F Hamilton's books turned into books. The Commonwealth Saga or Night's Dawn trilogy would really be something to see on the big screen o_O

Silverlock and who to cast in the lead role of Shadow Silvelock ? George Clooney , He's the perfect choice :)

I would quite like to see Eric Flints Ring of Fire series adapted - TV would prob make more sense than film - each season could cover a year starting with 1632,the year Granville, West Virginia is transplanted/asb'd to northern Germany.

Given how much the books focus on the politics and courtly doings, it needn't be too expensive to film.

Out of the Silent Planet by C.S. Lewis, and maybe the rest of his Space Trilogy.

Roverandom by J.R.R Tolkien might make for a good kids' movie.

Vince I am going to agree and disagree with you here!!
Sean bean despite having the wrong physique, accent and hair colour was awesome as we're the rest of the chosen men - the acting and casting was always great and omg Pete Postlethwaite as Hakeswill was just inspired.

Where itv messed up was budget and extras despite filming abroad in cheap locations. I mean they fought the battle of Waterloo with about 30 extras for deities sake!!
By the time of filming Waterloo, Sharpe was a massive hit success and I imagine sold Al around the world - they could have splashed out a bit. In fact I'm not too keen on the Indian stories they did set after the peninsular wars, much of that is because I am very annoyed they didn't do sharples devil which is possibly my fave novel!!

Come on Colonel Sharpe (albeit a Dutch rank) teamed with Admiral, His Lordship Thomas Cochrane fighting the wicked Spanish Empire in the cause of Chilean Freedom!!! The taking of the 5 forts would look amazing on screen.

I suspect that warlord chronicles will be either a CBS/BBC Co production or a sky 1 one - bad wolf productions the company set up by 2 senior BBC managers who helped bring Dr who back in 2005 {Jane tranter) is one has some sort of deal set up with CBS (think it's them) for I think funding and bad wolf has already done a couple of very successful sff/horror style shows for sky (to our cousins across the pond Sky is a satellite television company)

Bad Wolf have also it seems managed to get off Bernard Cornwell the licence to film Warlord Chronicles but there's no data on whether they plan a TV show or films.

Baylor has the right idea methinks a short series of 3 seasons with each season covering a book.
A lot of English and American viewers will get quite a shock seeing Arthur not as an English king protecting England. Ut as a Welsh hero and warlord fighting to protect Britain from the English lol

Peter Postlethwaite is possibly the best piece of casting of an actor to play a role from a book. He not only encompassed the character that Bernard Cornwell had envisaged, he expanded it to such an extent that the author wrote Hawkeswill's character in later novels based on Postlethwaite's characterisation of the villain.

Out of the Silent Planet by C.S. Lewis, and maybe the rest of his Space Trilogy.

Roverandom by J.R.R Tolkien might make for a good kids' movie.

Absolutely !:cool:(y)

Last edited:
After watching Altered Carbon, i'd love to see a TV adaptation of Alistair Reynold Chasm City.

My favourite books all tend to be slow burners and wouldn't necessarily go well on the screen. (The Player of Games, The Forge of God, Revelation Space series.)

After reading the Repairman Jack series by F. Paul Wilson last year, I would like to see his character on the screen.

After watching Altered Carbon, i'd love to see a TV adaptation of Alistair Reynold Chasm City.

My favourite books all tend to be slow burners and wouldn't necessarily go well on the screen. (The Player of Games, The Forge of God, Revelation Space series.)

After reading the Repairman Jack series by F. Paul Wilson last year, I would like to see his character on the screen.
Chasm City would make a perfect noir/sci-fi film. (y)

I would like to see many of stories from the Man-Kzin Wars turned into films.

I'm Hoping for a reboot of the Percy Jackson books. Those films destroyed it, i'd like to see it redone properly....and another reboot of eragon too

I'm Hoping for a reboot of the Percy Jackson books. Those films destroyed it, i'd like to see it redone properly....and another reboot of eragon too
Oh so agree! I loved the books as a child (the humour was amazing!), but the movies were... meh. I think the casting was done well though, but still... they should have either finished the whole series, or not have started it at all... Hopefully someday :)

Back