The Station Agent

Foxbat

None The Wiser
Supporter
The Station Agent (2003)
Starring Peter Dinklage, Patricia Clarkson and Bobby Cannavale.

Peter Dinklage is Fin, a dwarf 4 foot 5 inches tall. He is employed by his friend in a shop selling model railways. This employment feeds two needs – the first is Fin’s obsession with trains and the second is his need to find somewhere he can fit in. From very early on in the film, we the viewers, become witness to the sniggers and verbal abuse Fin is subjected to due to his diminutive size.

Sadly, his old friend dies - but bequeaths Fin a piece of land, more or less in the middle of nowhere. It has a section of railway track and an old, paint blistered building in which a station agent used to reside. For Fin, this seems like a golden opportunity to get away from all the nasty little snippets of bigotry he is constantly subjected to.

His plan is just to live there and enjoy being alone. But his plan is thwarted quite quickly by the arrival of Joe – a talkative Cuban coffee vendor and Olivia – a clumsy artist. Primarily through Joe’s incessant need for conversation, these three lonely people – each carrying their own wounds inflicted by world – come together in an unlikely friendship. The road is not an easy one with many moments - sometimes funny, sometimes poignant.

This film is well crafted with some fine photography and a crisp suitable soundtrack. The real strength of this movie lies in its script and the way it melds itself into the final creation. The director knows exactly when to let the picture do the talking but, when dialogue is required, it flows freely and intelligently – often humorous, sometimes sad – never ever boring.

A special mention to the quality of the three main actors in this film: superb. Each brought a different quality to the movie to add a foundation on which everything else was built. Mr Dinklage’s acting also taught me many things about how it must be in this world of ours when you don’t quite fit in.

I don’t know much about the background about this movie but, if it were up to me, it would have an Oscar. So far, this is the one of the best films I have seen this year. Okay, this is a site dedicated to SciFi and Fantasy and – granted – it doesn’t have spaceships or dragons but let’s not lock ourselves into our own favourite little genre. Quality is quality and it doesn’t really matter where you find it.

Dammit! Let’s give it an award. Right Now!

Foxbat’s Film Of The Year (applause). :D