Acorna Series

Does it have a lot of Sci Fi, or is it a good mix of fantasy and sci fi?

Its a pretty average mix, more of a drama, disguised with some fantasy and sci-fi, really.

Princess Ivy said:
Its a pretty average mix, more of a drama, disguised with some fantasy and sci-fi, really.
I managed to get a copy at my library, got half way through and put it down :eek: Not a bad read, but nothing special either. Nothing much happens and I won't waste life on reading a book that doesnt capture me.

i did warn you, other series are better. loved tower and hive and pegasus. and of course the dragons. The ship and city books can also be good, although some are a little odd.

Hi, I've read all the Acorna books and I'm looking forward to reading the First Warning and Second Wave. I do agree that the Acorna series is suited for younger readers but, I didn't think it was all that bad.

I never got beyond the first book, in spite of counting myself a huge AMC fan. I don't like Margaret Ball's writing, and I really don't like stories involving child abuse.

i read them all but i agree there are beter examples of her work but i found it a good start point for my daughter when she was about ten it was that bit simpler a story so suited a young reader starting out

I got a bit bored with Acorna. It was a mite childish, and definately a little preachier than Pern. She was a Unicorn after all. And a pacifist besides. As if there's any virtue in pacifism - or in anything - if it is for your own ends. It would have hurt her, literally, to hurt anyone else, and I disliked how this was supposed to make her 'pure'. She didn't have a choice. It was patronising.

I must admit, I've never read the Acorna series, even though I'm a fan of Anne McCaffrey's work. I preferred the Pern books, myself.

I think I managed the first four books or so, but haven't made it any further and don't expect to.

I too really don't care for Margaret Ball (or at least her collaborations with Anne, haven't tried her on her own), and the series doesn't change that much when Annie Scarborough takes over from Ball.

I quite enjoyed the acorna series.^^ I even named one of my little aliens Acorna!(i hope I find her soon) science and fantasy together it's great^^

I've only read the first book in the series so far - I'll be starting the 2nd one as soon as I finish the books I'm currently reading, but I think they are really good - not as good as the Pern and Catteni novels, in my opinion, but good nevertheless.

Acorna is a bit of a 'perfect' person in the books, can't do anything wrong, only does good, you know the stuff, but I still enjoyed it. I also like how she deals with difficult issues, such as slavery and child abuse, by putting them into stories, I think it helps us to understand the story better when issues in the story are similar to ones in out own world.

I've got the 1st 4 books and, when I've read them, if I'm still enjoying them I'll keep going hehe

I recently tried picking up this series again, but I couldn't get into it. I guess the Dragonriders of Pern will always be my favourite.