2.13: Critical Mass

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
Good episode. Only criticism would be all of that happening in one episode.

Spoilers ahead!

The interaction between Weir and Kavanagh was excellent. I really wanted it to be him.

Teyla turns out to be a fairly good singer.

Pity that they can remove the Goa'uld from Caldwell!

Sorry Dave I disagree, another time waster. Why spoil the whole Antlantis franchise with "The Trust" its so get out of jail free card for plot writers and Im sick of it.

Something bad happens, oh no its someone in the team, its a main character, ah its ok they have a gouald inside. End of story next episode reset button pushed.

It had to be cauldwell too, despite the indication it was the scientist who stayed behind or Kavanagh they may as well of put a neon sign on calwells head saying "BIG BADDIE HERE".

Waste of 50 minutes

I see your point, but if 'The Trust' exists then it would have designs on Atlantis. They should have seen this coming, and really it means that Earth is completely infested. I liked the fact that Atlantis was seen as still in contact with Earth and what's currently happening there, while seeming very remote.

I didn't like the 'reset button'. I would have preferred that Caldwell/Goa'uld was killed or escaped. Even though it kind of explains Caldwell's recent behaviour (how long has he been a Goa'uld) I actually didn't think it would be him.

I think there is a loss of direction in Atlantis. They had the big battle with the Wraith at the end of Season 1, in much the same way that SG-1 had the big battle with Apophis. Now they have nowhere to go with the plot that makes the same impact. Having the Wraith fight each other makes them a weaker enemy without making them more interesting. The Wraith can't get to the Milky Way without getting to Atlantis, or getting an upgraded Asgard Hyperdrive, and that wouldn't be an option if TPTB want to keep the two shows separate (though why then introduce the Trust to Atlantis.)

I agree with you that something new and extra-ordinary needs to happen if this franchise is to continue. Unfortunately, we will probably have to wait until the Season end cliffhanger for it.

This was a cool episode, it was interesting to watch. I never think Caldwell, Kavanagh was a very obvious one but it make sense since he always have been a torn since his first appearance in Atlantis. I like his character, Atlantis needs more jerks. :lol: The episode as a whole was interesting.

Krystal :p

I just want to comment on Rachel Luttrel's voice.... wow. She can really sing. I also found out shes also a dancer. :D

As for the episode... *shrugs*

Originally posted by philoSCIFI
I just want to comment on Rachel Luttrel's voice.... wow. She can really sing. I also found out shes also a dancer. :D

Agreed, i'm glad i recorded this episdoe, so i can replay that last section and listen to it again. :D

I wasn't sure at the time if it was her or not, i had to go and find out. If it wasn't, i was going to try and buy it, hopefully it will be on the Season 2 soundtrack CD.

Rachel Luttrel could certainly be a big success on Broadway or in the West End over here in London and the like. She might already have done that sort of thing for all i know, wouldn't be surprised.

As for the ep, well it was quality wasn't it :), the musical aspect only made it better, it suited the moment perfectly.

Nick, :cool:

I guess I'm the only one who really hated the song, then? :blush:

Rachel Luttrel does have a great voice, and it was a nice song. But for one of the characters to just randomly burst into song seemed horribly out of place, and didn't seem to mesh with the episode in general. Personally, I thought it was pretty pointless. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by little smaug
I guess I'm the only one who really hated the song, then? :blush:

Rachel Luttrel does have a great voice, and it was a nice song. But for one of the characters to just randomly burst into song seemed horribly out of place, and didn't seem to mesh with the episode in general. Personally, I thought it was pretty pointless. :rolleyes:

Had the song been better integrated into the story... something like a song tribute to her friend... would you have liked it more? I don't think it would seem pointless in that case. Even for those who aren't into musicals in general, I think the song could have a point and if done well an integral part of the story and episode.

And no worries. You aren't the only one who didn't like the song. I've encountered those who have felt indifferent to it.

If that particular song had just played over the montage, I would have liked it. Or if it was just Teyla singing at the funeral, without the backing music and without it being carried on through the shots of the rest of Atlantis. I think it was the invisible orchestra that bothered me most, and made it seem so out of place. Perhaps if some of the others had been playing instruments instead it would have fit better?