Intergalactic Chef wanted!

RangerOne SG13 SOR

After watching episode 4 "Duet" there is a shot in the canteen with Shepard and his new best buddy.

Anyway while tshepard walks over there is this guy carrying a tray of food or whatever!

Whats with that?? how do you recruit that kind of labour for that kind of job?

I know it is pretty much a civilian operation but in reality catering and housekeeping would be a general duty for all (regardless of function)

How did they vet and recruit Cooks LOL

WANTED INTERGALACTIC CHEF/FOOD HAND
Must be willing to travel.....100 Billion Light years
Knowledge of alien ingredients useful but not essential!

:p

Is Atlantis "that" normal now? That is has contracted catering!!

Tee Hee

Ranger

I don't know much about the armed forces (many members here do though, so feel free to correct me) but the Catering branches are a fairly important branch (Napoleon said that the Army marches on its stomach). Surely, these are just Air Force Catering Corps. On the other hand, with Atlantis being a largely Civilian run operation, maybe they aren't.

I don't know how you would recruit and vet such people, but then I don't know how they can keep quiet about all the aliens flying around Earth, and the people disappearing to Atlantis for a year (and some not returning.) The 'Stargate' story would have been leaked to the Press, or been broken by them long before now. I think that is the main problem here.

Dave, Im forces and yes we do have Army cooks but these days most kitchens are amde up of a handful of Chefs the rest are contracted staff. Anyway they were not uniformed, and Atlantis IS a civilian run operation.

My point is how they have now given Atlantis this firmly established feeling. Lots of food lots of kit lots well everything. It is a normal operation now, especially as they have a ZPM.

It is just a plot flaw, you never know maybe that was Zelenka on slop duty just where the appropriate clothing, maybe next week we will see Tayla in a hair net serving mash potato!!!

HAHA

Don't think it is a plot flaw.

Gone are the days when squaddies were issued with a tin of food substitute and told to make it last a week. TBH the new ration packs are actually quite good, while the ones we had were rejects from Pedigree Chum.

But virtually any static FPO (Forces Posted Overseas) base tends to serve food like it is going out of fashion and Mess Stewards are easy to find, especially when there is no grass to paint!

The point that Atlantis is civilian run is a valid one though. I didn't notice the Mess Steward in question, but RangerOne said he was not in a uniform.

As for recruitment, isn't it analgous to catering in Iraq. You would expect, given the security situation, that few civilian caterers would volunteer, but there is a lot of money to be made for that very reason. If people have mortgages, school fees and divorce settlements to pay...

In 'Stargate SG-1' IIRC they said that the budget for Atlantis was triple that of the SGC.

In Iraq, Halliburton is responsible for the catering. In 2001, this company ranked 37th among the US defense department’s prime contractors, by 2003 it was 7th, and now it is even higher. Hence, all the fuss about links to politicians.

With a trough that deep, you don't need to advertise.