What do you think of it?

The best thing about the movie is that it was SO GOOD that it actually inspired a lot of Firefly "virgins" to go out and get the series. It really did a lot to make it accessible to a much larger audience.
And it really doesn't suffer from the fact that you kind of watch it backwards if you see the movie first.

Plus it takes the sting out of Wash's death because you then watch the series and its all "phew! It's like Wash never died!"

Loner said:
The best thing about the movie is that it was SO GOOD that it actually inspired a lot of Firefly "virgins" to go out and get the series. It really did a lot to make it accessible to a much larger audience.
And it really doesn't suffer from the fact that you kind of watch it backwards if you see the movie first.

Plus it takes the sting out of Wash's death because you then watch the series and its all "phew! It's like Wash never died!"

*raises hand* I never saw the series before seeing the movie... wait I still haven't really seen the series... but I really liked the movie and just watched half of it on HBO yesterday or the day before:p

About the Wash thing: no, no, no - "life's like that" cuts no mustard with me. Yes, life is like that - but this is a story, gorrammit, not life. It behaves like a story, it looks like a story, it sounds like a story, it smells like a story - hello! Its nothing like life, unless you're a space cowboy in some universe where planets cluster together against all the laws of physics, moons do too, terraforming entire worlds only takes decades, and although the Galactic Language is Chinese there appears to be no Chinese people around. Don't get me wrong, I love this story and I love the characters. But let's face it, Wash's death was totally gratuitous. Book's death served a narrative purpose. Wash's death was tokenism to some bizarre notion of reality not upheld by the rest of the film. And Wash was not expendable - Wash was the heart of the crew. I am most put out.

I believe the writing (direction, production, etc) was unparalleled in the SF movie genre. I loved the way Wash kept saying "I am a leaf in the wind" as he was weaving a haphazard and dangerous course through the reavers fleet to crash land the ship. It was such a major downer when he got speared. It also had one of the best last lines in a movie. (Something falls off the ship into space behind them), and Mal says "What was that?!!" :D

Yes, this was a great movie. It was nice to see that something that was prematurely cancelled being brought back to life in an even grander fashion. I know that it was very well received, even by people who hadn't see firefly.

Does anyone know if this made money in the end? It'd be nice to see studios looking back at some other titles. (B5 movie anyone?)

Back