Accepting Both Versions of Battlestar Galactica

What kind of Battlestar Galactica do you wish to see?

• A continuation movie of the original Battlestar Galactica

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Whitestar

I grew up watching the original Battlestar Galactica series when it first aired back in 1978. I enjoyed tuning in and felt like I was a member of the Galactica family, searching for a strange and mythical planet known as Earth. When the Sci-Fi Channel first premiered, Battlestar Galactica and Buck Rogers were one of the first shows that helped launched the network. Now Sci-Fi Channel has repayed its gratitude by reinventing Battlestar Galactica. They decided to switch genders and races, disregarded robes and capes, and erased all trace of Egyptian influence. The only thing that Ron Moore left intacted was the basic storyline. The original show started a whole new genre known as space mythology. With this reimaging, Ron Moore has completely ignored fans demand for a continuation rather than an reimaging.

When I heard about Ron Moore's plans for Battlestar Galactica, I was naturally very upset like most of the fans who loved the original show. However, I always like to give people the benefit of the doubt and decided to give this new miniseries a chance. After watching it, I must admit that I quite enjoyed it. This version of Galactica was more sophisticated and geared towards adults rather than for the whole family. However, I still wished that Ron Moore called the show something else instead of Battlestar Galactica.

In addition, when I heard the news of Richard Hatch coming onboard the new Battlestar Galactica television series as a different character known as Tom Zarek, my feelings were mixed. One part of me felt overjoyed that Hatch would be returning to the BSG universe. However, I also felt a little depressed because it also means that Richard Hatch now accepts the reimaged version of BSG and the chances of seeing a continuation movie were slim.

Now looking at it from a different perspective, I think it's a very good move because if the series does well like the mini, then the propects of seeing a continuation movie coming to fruition are much better. Think about it: if the mini had done poorly at the ratings, why bother to waste more money on a television series or continuation movie? I see no problem of having both the reimagined version and the continuation movie, it will please fans of both the original and the new Galactica. Even Ron Moore himself has donated money for the cause of seeing a continuation movie.

Look at it this way: if one wished to be poetic, one can say that the reimagined version of BSG is from a parallel universe and does not in any way change or interfere with the timeline established in the original series. In the new version Adama is alive and well and has a son named Apollo, but Athena does not exist in that universe. In the old version Adama is dead and Apollo is the commander of the Galactica and Starbuck is the new colonel. Wouldn't it be cool to see Richard Hatch playing Commander Apollo and Tom Zarek in the same scene? It would give Hatch a wonderful and rare opportunity to flex his acting muscles. Who knows? Maybe at one point in the new series the writers will establish this parallel universe concept, thus, satisfying both fans.

What does everybody else thinks?

Whitestar

the only way that i could watch the remake was to watch it as a separate take on the original theme. much as with films adaptions of loved books. as such, I enjoyed the new miniseries. although i felt that the actors were a little to busy trying to bring new aspects to the roles, than just enoying themselves.

I loved that series too...however I felt they lost the plot severely after they found earth. However, the pilot episode still manages to retain so much human emotion...the weak willed president, the shattered welcoming parade for the scylons (sp)...wow so many great memories...

I voted that I would like to see a redone version of the original..but now I'm not so sure...

Galactica 80 was SOOOOOOOO naff!!!!

They should have remained in space, fighting the Cylons and evolving better "stuff"...

Personally, I thought the series lost its way with the "angels" and all the uniforms going white whenever the Colonial Warriors met them...

I never found it plausible that they knew the name of the planet they were looking for and knew which way to go... Fine, following the 13th Tribe was acceptable, but not knowing a planets name - unless someone from the 13th Tribe returned to the colonies!!! And where are the ships used by the 13th Tribe??? And when did they arrive on Earth???

When they did the remake, or reworking, or whatever they call it, did they keep the mythology? I know that the creator of the original series based a lot of that on the doctrine, folklore, and mythology of his religion (for example, the name of the "home planet"). I never actually watched the original series very much, and I haven't seen the new version, but I've been wondering about that. I mean, I know members of that religion who were absolutely convinced that he did the whole thing as a stealth missionary outreach. Don't know about that, but I did wonder if much of that part of it survived the transition to the remake.