2.06: Trinity

ray gower

-----------------------------
Creating topic, remember you
can only discuss this episode
inside this topic. Reviews of
the episode are encouraged
-----------------------------

According to the folks at MGM this episode should have been episode 5. So if anybody wishes to confirm which way around they are?
Synopsis
McKay may have found a new and potent source of energy for Atlantis based on unperfected Ancient technology.

How obvious was that?

The "a" story:

It's fun to see the team find new technology from ancient civilizations, but it is frustrating when they show no logic or stratigy in discovering it's mysteries.

The dialog and character development between Rodney and Shepard was interesting.

The "b" story:

Well, they are trying to make this Ronon different. I'm not sure what to say about it.

Maybe Ronon can enlist the help of his friends in latter stories. It would be nice to flesh out the groups and allies list for Atlantis.

====
Note: I've read scriptwriters use "a" story and "b" story as a way talk about two different stories going on in an episode.

I actually quite enjoy this type of episode. Pushing the characters and their relationships with each other to the ultimate.

And here we had the "A" story where Rodney's over confidence took control, to the point of the fanatical belief he had achieved something that the Ancients could not and not accepting that he might be wrong.

Just hope that he does have to work for forgiveness and he is reminded of his failure later on.

On the "B" side we had Ronin performing an assassination, having used Taylors "Friendship" to get to the target.

I wonder if he would consider the comparison in the degree of blow-up that will occur when the rest learn of his act and the wrath Rodney faced after destroying half a dozen planets in one act?

It was a good episode, I really enjoy the interaction between Mckay and Sheppard.

Krystal :p

I did wonder how they would make Ronin interesting if he was really the last of his race. They just couldn't do it. Now there are 300 others.

These simulations that they run are really a complete waste of time and effort. Whatever they simulate it is not what the real thing does, so I think they were correct to go for a second attempt. The problem is with Rodney's ego not with the technology.

Dave we have both watched enough scifi to know that the "simulation" line is just utter rubbish, "yadda yadda in simulation yadda yadda everything was fine yadda yadda"

As soon as they mention it we know it will all go wrong in the end. Again WHY write this stuff, the whole discovering of an "answer to all our prayers" storyline becuase we know full well it would be endgame straight away. No more bad stuff in life etc. So it really upsets me to see this ultimate weapon/power source/ chocolate biscuit plot lines.

No as for Ronin, yes they tried to add some depth and I like the way they have teamed him with Teyla but they are forcing his character too strong now. Hes goen from dark moody silent to out right phsyco killing machine if someone gives him a funny look.

Again it was obvious he was going to kill that bloke and the "we all know he was a baddie" speech, I mean please surely the guy did not travel around with body guards who he couldnt trust 100%!! they should of blasted Ronins hide all the way back to Atlantis. However this has put Teyla into a very unsettling position and the fact she has chosen to remain silent darkens her character which is good to see (everyone is normally so goody goody)

I see Wier has onc eagain climbed back into her ivory tower of "all that is good in mankind" attitude, it was excellent the way they pitched the Deadulas Cmdr against her and showed his upfront authority.

Ok back to the power source, so the first time it overloaded on a power up but strangely when powered only to 50% it went mega overload and would take have the galaxy with it. Mackay should of seen the meter saying "this machine of ultimate power is only good for 3 runs - runs remaining 1" oh well hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Shephard god bless then has to pilot like a fleeing gazelle through the gun fire only to be given cover by the deadulas shield......HUH? there is a fleet of broken Wraith ships in orbit but the deadulas shield shrugs off the weapons firepower! it dont figure.

Anyway still entertaining and better than the SG1 for now...

:D

Ranger

The whole Ronon story annoyed me too - he had no way of knowing that all those 'bodyguards' were 'honourable men' who would just let him (and Teyla - what a position to put someone else in) go. What if they'd thought that avenging the death of such a powerful man would have gotten them a reward from the family or something.

I think the only reason they bothered with the simulations was because it made Weir feel slightly better. Also it gave them a chance to do the "80s training montage" with the scientists all arguing with each other and doing other incredibly important things like eating doughnuts! :D

And yes it was pretty obvious that McKay was gonna mess up but since the episode focused more on the characters it was still really great. I think the best one this series. Did anyone notice how McKay's voice broke both times he was talking about the dead guy? (i really adore DH as an actor). Also Sheppard is convinced to go along with it because he trusts McKay but than he kinda blows that up - i really, really, really hope they don't forget about that completely by the next episode.

The realtionship between McKay and Zelenka was also developed a lot. Poor Zelenka had evidence that showed the test would not work and he'd figured it out in time to stop the problem but everyone chose to place their trust in McKay instead of him. This kinda leaves him knowing that given the choice between accepting facts or Rodney’s unsupported claims, both Elizabeth and Sheppard would side with McKay. Now he has to go back to taking orders from a man who refused his offer of help based on friendship instead accusing him of pettiness and professional jealousy.

</rant>

P.S: I hope the system wasn't inhabited cos otherwise McKay just committed mass murder.

Originally posted by Maria8475
P.S: I hope the system wasn't inhabited cos otherwise McKay just committed mass murder.
I hadn't thought of that, nor had I thought:
Originally posted by RangerOne SG13 SOR
...surely the guy did not travel around with body guards who he couldnt trust 100%!! they should of blasted Ronins hide all the way back to Atlantis.
Ronin was taking a huge chance in thinking that they had been just waiting for someone else to turn up and take him out. If the guy was really so evil, either one of the Bodyguards would have killed him already, or, they must be just as evil as he was.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Annette American Gothic 7
T General Film Discussion 26