9.05: The Powers That Be

Krystal

SG-1 visits a world whose people once worshipped Vala as a god -- and demand that she stand trial when she confesses to manipulating them.

Since there wasn't a thread to this episode I put one, hope is not wrong. :D

I really enjoy this episode, it was interesting to see all the thing about Vala impersonating a god to the people in that planet. Definitely a difficult situation with the Ori, who at the end have the upper hand but how you discredit someone so powerful that clearly could pass for gods to this people. That was a tough one, is going to be interesting to see how they confront them in other situations.

The trial bit was just hilarious, specially love the part of the charges beginning with 7 and then 4 after Daniel plea that it wasn't Vala the one responsible for some of them but the goaul'd.

Krystal :p

hate this, i'm getting the episodes at least a week after airing coz i'm at uni

mmmmuuullllluuurrrhhhhh

I was pleasantly surprised cos this episode was much better than last weeks.

Daniel pleading with Vala about the truth being the only way to save everyone - cut to her in jail was really funny.

And finally Vala shows some depth, although i was a bit disappointed about that stuff on 'how everyone was really mean to her after the Tok'ra got rid of the symbiote' was true - it was more funny last week when she'd made it up to tease Daniel.

Dr Lam - if she really hates her father so much, why did she take the job?

I liked this. It was probably cheap to make and it wasn't that exciting, or had many special effects, but I'm finally begining to like Vala as a character and for the first time the power of the Ori was evident and they suddenly became a much greater threat.

Vala's past was bound to catch up with her eventually, but one wonders if she has any friends at all out there. The life of an ex-Goa'uld host must be pretty lonely.

The 'matrix-style' stopping bullets, the plague, and the general superior attitude of the Prior was quite worrying. The Goa'uld or the Wraith can't do that. The Prior could have easily killed SG-1, but his motives for not doing that are clear. They can now not help but spread word of the power of the Ori, and that is exactly what the Ori want.

I'm with Daniel though, when he wondered exactly why the Ori want every human to worship them. What can such all-powerful beings gain from it. I'm sure we will find out.

So, they are father and daughter, and they don't get along, because he left them due to the air force, for some reason I thought the explanation of their behaviour would be more interesting.

Well not a blockbuster but a a good episode all the same.

However the constant changing fo Vala`s character is so shallow it s cringe worthy.

The jump from "lets take the treasure back" to crying becuase she could not longer cure the sick was too false.

The best part was the prior v Daniel debate and how the Prior won the day.

This is the real story but it is wrapped around this pathetic mix of Farscape to Stargate escapades.

Oh and the Father and estranged daughter routine, oh please do you think we have only just started watching TV. Whats the reason for the bad vibes, maybe he was a bad father/never around/ caused accident killing her mum but wasnt really his fault but she doesnt know the full truth (but will in episode 18) etc/ didnt buy her the right christmas present/took away her pocket money/ran over her dog and so on...

I didnt think Series 8 could be eclipsed for weak writing, I think I was wrong.

OK - this is my worry and why I will be glad when Carter returns - the begining scene with Vala and Mitchell was way too much like watching Critchton and Aeryn - I felt like I was about to watch a Farscape ep
I don't dislike the Vala character just think the two of them together for so many eps is over doing it.

Anyway, the story - its actually quite worrying that the Ori have this power, i mean they even raised the one guy from the dead!
How do you defend against an emeny like that with a magical power. There has to be something in the comments Daniel was trying to make to the settlement - anything you don't understand can seem magical. Perhaps its a technology this - otherwise we are in big BIG trouble.

Is going to be interesting to see what comes of all this as Brit Chick and Dave mention. The comment of Daniel of what the Ori gain with all this and interesting of maybe a technology. They're definitely more advance so they definitely have access to so much more. Also it would be interesting to see how the Ancients would react to the Ori, although probably as always without much interest. Not their problems I suppose.

Krystal :p

Back