Lost: Season 2

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
What did you think of this show?

Shown in the US earlier in the year, begins on Ch 4 in the UK tonight?

Aeroplane crash lands on a desert island after going off course. The survivors all have strange backgrounds that are uncovered during the 22 part series. One might have been the terrorist that caused the crash. Another who becomes their leader is a doctor taking his father's dead body home. The island is full of supernatural mysteries.

I have my own suspiscions regarding the storyline, which if correct would be a spoiler, so....
Have they all died and gone to Limbo, the Ante-Chamber of Hell?
Let me know if I'm close.

Well, I've liked most the episodes I've watched of it so far, but your suggestion of the storyline hadn't even occured to me! :rolleyes:

And I'm not sure it will be completed, it's been showing reruns of it and I'm a bit concerned it might not renew. :(

Does that mean that it hasn't finished in the US yet?

We actually have two episodes tonight. I've just seen the first which was very good. The second is about to begin now.

Well, if it's finished then I missed the last episode. Anything's possible. :blush:

No it's not finished in the U.S. They are working on the second season now. My suggestion is to watch every episode, whatever you do, don't miss an episode.

I love Lost. Its my favourite show thats still on tv. The best part for me is the back stories of the characters that are all intermingled with the main story on the island.
Spoiler for the whole 1st season sort of
One annoying thing is that they don't get around to explaining much at all, all they do is give a few more mysteries. I hope season 2 is just as good and explains things a bit more.

Originally posted by Shaun
I love Lost. Its my favourite show thats still on tv. The best part for me is the back stories of the characters that are all intermingled with the main story on the island.
Spoiler for the whole 1st season sort of

I agree with you completely on the back stories, it give us just enough about each charater to give more mystry and intrigue. I like it when it still has me guessing.

Oh and I saw one last night I hadn't seen yet!:lol:

Dave - possible, but nothing to hint at it

I've found it very inventive, mostly realistic and certainly not "happy ending by the 4th act of each episode". Each time they get close to answering a question they pose another, or two, so by the end of season one I'd ask the following:

a) what caused the plane crash in the first place?
b) how many alive people are on the island apart from "French chick" Danielle and the remaining 44 survivors?
c) where's this fabled transmitter? Surely Sayid can extract more transmitting watts out of it with his abilities...
d) just what are these "defense mechanisms" (Danielle's words) guarding - presumably it has to do with the bunker (and Hurley's number...)
e) where exactly is the island - that boat the raft came across could not travel very far on the open ocean
f) my favourite: who brought the boar and polar bears - they would both have needed to be brought by settlers. One more notably than the other!!

I have only seen up to Episode 4 and I think it's great. :D :D

I so dont want to miss any episodes. I have this feeling that they're all entwined in some way.

I cant wait to watch the next episode tomorrow, I'm taping it cause I cant watch it at night by myself cause my mind runs wild with me. :blush:

J
x

I have a probably way out there weird thought about this -

could it be they are being observed almost like an experiment to see how they deal with the situation - its just these guys they keep seeing in the distance reminded me of something similar from an old Outer Limits or something where they were putting people in different scenarios to see how they coped - mice in a cage kind of thing

Would have to be of an ET nature tho I think

That's possible but...
the aliens would need to have some super-powers i.e. Q from Star Trek. I think that my suggestion is the only way to explain the 'man in the wheelchair who could now walk' episode.

Originally posted by Trouble
No it's not finished in the U.S. They are working on the second season now. My suggestion is to watch every episode, whatever you do, don't miss an episode.

I bet your right. I've tried watching it before and it's hard to get into. Especially since I didn't start out right away.

Though it was cool seeing uhm . . the one actress from Babylon 5 in another TV role . . I wonder how many episodes of Lost she's on?

I get the impression that Lost is a little like 4400 with semi-separate stories that sometimes intertwine.

Does it have an anthology or Martian Chronicles feel to it?

I have a Zap2it article that throws some light on the series direction without spoilers:
LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) Those viewers who felt burned by the last few seasons of "The X-Files" and have wondered more than once what's going on with "Alias" are probably the same ones who have been fighting the temptation to become too attached when it comes to "Lost."
Watching the extras on the first season DVD set (available Tuesday, Sept. 6) does nothing to assuage these doubts. Jack (Matthew Fox) was slated to die in the first episode? Kate was supposed to be on a quest to find her husband who went to the bathroom right before the plane blew apart? If those stories were left at the wayside, what else could be in a state of flux? Does anyone know how the polar bears got there? How about the monsters? The Numbers? The Hatch? The Others?

According to executive producer Damon Lindelof, there's no need to panic.

"The big questions we have the answers to, but we are running a race that has no finish line right now," he says. "If they said, 'We want you to do four seasons of the show,' we would have sat down and planned out 88 episodes."
In other words, while the destination is set the journey could take some detours. Still, there's a limit.

"That's what happened to Chris Carter," Lindelof explains. "People look at that show and go, 'I'm disappointed with the way "X-Files" ended,' but they did 200 episodes.

"Chris Carter wanted to do four seasons and a movie, and the movie would have answered everything definitely. And Fox said, 'Great, you can leave the show, but we own the show and we're going to keep doing the show.' And he said, 'I'd rather run my own show into the ground then let somebody else do it.'

"I respect that."

Respect for the compromises that the entertainment industry demands doesn't mean that Lindelof and partners-in-crime JJ Abrams and Carlton Cuse are planning on dragging "Lost" out forever.

"We have an ending for the show: we know when it is, we know how many episodes it is," Lindelof says, "but we have to talk to the Powers That Be -- the people that pay for the show -- in order to execute that.

"I think it would be very hard if we did our ending for anyone to come in to the show after and continue."

Work out your own theories as to what such a conclusive ending could possibly entail.

Speaking of network involvement, what's with the promos? During the first season viewers knew that one of the main characters was going to die, but the ABC marketing department jumped the gun after Boone (Ian Somerhalder) suffered a horrific accident and trumpted his death before the fact. Then, they helpfully cleaned up a deliberately garbled radio transmission.

"One of the things that is a constant fight in movies and television is not wanting to give away the show," Lindelof, who doesn't see the promos until they actually run, opines. "Marketing's job is to get people to tune in and our job is to not give it away, and that sort of puts us at odds."

Getting more involved for the start of the second season, Lindelof says that he and the show's creative team worked closely with marketing to design the launch campaign, proclaiming the end result to be "very cool and very mysterious." However, once they are back into what he refers to as the "strum and drang" of writing, editing and dealing with the production of the show on a weekly basis they will turn over the reins.

"Inherently, I have to respect what they do," Lindelof continues, "and I put my frustration aside because the way that they market the show and sold the show, I'm so grateful. So every once and awhile they'll do it in a way I don't approve of, but at the end of the day lots of people are watching and that's in no small part due to the fact that they built awareness."
And a spoilerish DVD review here from Dark Horizons:
http://www.darkhorizons.com/dvds/d-lost1.php

Thanks, Dave, very helpful.

I don't follow many TV programs but that is one I've been trying to follow. I haven't missed many of season 1 and looking forward to the start-up of season 2 this month! :rolly2:

I really liked last weeks 'The Moth' episode on Ch4, so I watched the following week, 'The Confidence Man', straight after on E4. Now I don't have a new one to watch this week unless I watch E4 again!

And I'm not the only one with the same theory about where they really are, this scifi report says the same thing. The guitar appearing up in the tree confirmed it for me.
(Do we really still need spoilers here?)
from SCIFI WIRE

Garcia Is Lost By The Numbers

Jorge Garcia, who plays Hurley in ABC's Emmy-winning series Lost, told SCI FI Wire that he's as curious as everyone else about what Hurley's cursed numbers really mean. "I'd gotten some hints about the lottery situation when we added the scene where I'm playing backgammon with Walt, and I tell him he'll get the money that I owe him," Garcia said in an interview. "That kind of [made me suspect], 'OK, I do have money.' But it's the cool, Twilight Zone aspects of my story that really make me anxious and anticipating. ... I want to find out why those numbers are on the hatch."

Last season on Lost, the audience learned that Hurley had accidentally used cursed numbers to win the lottery before he wound up on the fateful flight that crashed on a deserted island. When Hurley saw the numbers on the mysterious hatch, he tried unsuccessfully to stop the others from opening it.

The mystery numbers have become an obsession to viewers interested in the mythology. Executive producer Carlton Cuse said that he didn't anticipate the passion fans would have when it comes to speculating about the numbers. "If you were to ask us back during that story, the numbers were on a fundamental level a plot device for Hurley to go on this journey," Cuse said. "We understood that they were part of the mythology of the show, but we never thought that they would loom larger than the fact that Hurley was a lottery winner, or that people would be so engaged and interested and dissecting the meaning behind the numbers."

Garcia said that he is surprised at the lengths people have gone when it comes to the cursed numbers. "There was a piece of toast on eBay that had the mystery numbers on it," Garcia said. "I'm anxious to find out how much it sold for. ... There were two more copycat toasts that came after it, one with the numbers backwards. The other one was a kid's piece of toast, like a plastic toy toast. The first toast, if I remember correctly, I went and looked, and it was like $50. When I looked again it was $200. And I swear I saw it over five grand at one point. That's so incredibly insane ... for a piece of toast!"

Like the other actors and anyone who watches the show, Garcia is curious about what's going on. "Particular people have their theories that we're in purgatory," he said. "I always feel like that's too easy. And they're going to have to explain how that creature in the woods does it by being a smoky tendril. How exactly does that tendril grab you and suck you down the hole? I know they know how it works, because I was talking to the guy who created the effect for it. He said, 'They explained to me how it was, and it's really fascinating. But we're not allowed to tell you how it happens.'"

But Garcia has his own theory. "I think it's based on that cartoon thing when they put the pie on the windowsill, and it would drag the character to the window," he said. "Yeah, the whole thing's going to be a big pie on the windowsill. ... A pie on the windowsill of purgatory." The second season of Lost premieres on Sept. 21 in its new Wednesday 9 p.m. ET/PT timeslot.
from SCIFI WIRE

Lost Will Finally Give Answers

Lost executive producers Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse told SCI FI Wire they are finally going to provide some answers at the beginning of the Emmy-winning ABC show's upcoming second season. Honest.

"In terms of just the narrative and the characters, the second year is going to be different," Cuse said in an interview. "The first year was really about denial of their circumstances. They were looking for a way off the island. The second season of the show is about looking inward. Going into the hatch is the perfect metaphor for that concept. As they look inward, they're going to look more inward towards themselves. And obviously the revelation that there are survivors of the tail section is going to have a major impact on the society of our survivors."

The hit series about a group of plane-crash survivors who run into mysterious things on a not-so-deserted island returns on Sept. 21 in a new Wednesday 9 p.m. timeslot. The season premiere will take place moments after the events in the season-one finale, which left some of the characters looking down the opened hatch and others having just suffered an attack while trying to escape on a raft.

Lindelof, who created the series with J.J. Abrams, told SCI FI Wire that the big mysteries will still exist this season. "What we find inside the hatch is going to drive the majority of season two," he said. "And the other side of season two is obviously what happens to our boys who were out on the raft." The audience will also learn more about the mysterious Others. "Who are these people? What are they doing here? And why do they keep f--king with us? That becomes a big part of it," Lindelof said.

The two cagey producers won't give away too many details. But Lindelof said that the first three episodes will provide an "enormous" amount of island mythology. Especially the third episode.

And, according to Cuse, the show's writers are planning to inject more romance into the series. Several new characters have been added to the cast this season, including Michelle Rodriguez, who plays a passenger from the tail section with whom Jack (Matthew Fox) had a brief encounter in a flashback last season.

But don't look for the show's "bread and butter" to vanish, Lindelof said. Lost will continue to reveal "personal, character-based stories" through flashbacks. "The thing that's very exciting with Lost is there are still all these chapters of these people's pasts before the plane crashed," he said. "Everybody thinks with Locke [Terry O'Quinn], all we need to know is how he got in that wheelchair, and then we're done." No so, he said.

Cuse added that there's still a lot to learn about the characters. "Hopefully you'll be surprised," he said, adding: "People have more [to] them than one defining event in their lives. I think we all have at least a handful of them, and they shape the people that we become."

Just been re-watching S1's "Numbers" and "Exodus" episodes.

And realised the plane was flight 815 (8, 15) departing from gate 23....

So did anyone else spot the (probably highly obvious, but I missed them) numbers being planted elsewhere in the season???

And does anyone dare play the Lottery with 4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42 ?

I didn't spot the numbers until I read that article, but I'll be looking out now.

A letter on 'Hailing Frequencies' says it's just a remake of 'Mysterious Island', that it is only good because everything else on TV right now is rubbish, and that fairly soon a Captain Nemo-like figure will turn up running the island.

I like the spotlight each week on a different character. I think that gives it an originality.

Originally posted by Dave
I like the spotlight each week on a different character. I think that gives it an originality.
And means that part of the show can go on forever, since the characters have 20-40 years of life each to explore... (apart from the rest of the island)

Yes, they have already begun to look at characters a second time and it is very clever and well thought out how there are still things we don't know about them, but thought we did. Like Sawyer meeting Jack's father.

We still don't know what happened to Kate's husband who went to the toilet, or the significance of the toy aeroplane. Maybe these will give more answers...
from Scifi Wire

Lost Podcast Gives New Clues

ABC will offer new podcasts to accompany its hit series Lost, with producers discussing new clues, offering behind-the-scenes glimpses and providing scene-by-scene commentary on recent episodes, the network announced.

In the third installment, now live, creator/executive producer Damon Lindelof and executive producer Carlton Cuse offer clues and discuss the upcoming episode "Collision," which airs Nov. 23 at 9 p.m. ET/PT. The producers also look at last week's episode, "The Other 48 Days," which revealed the backstory of the new group of Flight 815 survivors. New cast regular Cynthia Watros (Libby) also talks about her experiences moving to Hawaii and joining the cast.

A Thanksgiving podcast will go live on Nov. 24, featuring supervising producers/writers Javier Grillo-Marxuach and Leonard Dick, with commentary for "Collision."

The Nov. 28 podcast will be the last of the calendar year, with Lindelof and Cuse discussing the writing process on the show and the upcoming episode "What Kate Did."

I just watched the first main character die. I like a show that can do that. Apparently, there are more to follow yet.
Originally posted by PTeppic
And does anyone dare play the Lottery with 4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42 ?
Actually, I heard that the numbers of the Irish Lotto Draw in November were:

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 24

When you simply invert the 24 to make 42, that has had people going crazy. Is the Irish Lottery now cursed?

They had better not cancel this show because I need to know the answers to 'the hatch' and 'the numbers'.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Lost 0
Judderman Lost 42
TK-421 Lost 13
TK-421 Lost 66
I Lost 5