(Probably Found) Looking for a book

Shire_1982

I have a question that’s been bugging me for quite some time. I once read part of a science fiction story that involved a type of hibernation called S-space in which people functioned normally but at a slower rate (you know, metabolism, thinking, etc.). This cold-induced state was designed to make interstellar travel seem less arduous to the travelers. Anyway, I’ve been wanting to find this book again so I can finish it, but I can’t remember its name. Does anyone remember the story I’m talking about?

Sorry, I can't help you, but someone else may. Welcome to ASciFi anyhow. Often these questions do get answered if you are prepared to wait long enough.

Many books, films and TV series have used the idea of deep sleep, hibernation or cryogenic stasis for interstellar travel. If you discount FTL drives then the only other alternative is a multi-generational ship.

Never heard of it called S-Space though, or that sort of slower rate without sleeping.

Oh great Shire_1982,

I am looking for a book as well, and since I am seeking help, thought I'd see if I oculd help someone else.

read your post and well, yes I remember such a story as well, the S-Space name and the fact that people still operated, just slowed down.

But, I can't remeber the name nor author either ... so this is going to bug me to. :D

The OP is looking for Charles Sheffield’s Between The Strokes of Night (1985).

Wiki: “Their crowning scientific achievement was called Mode II Consciousness or S-Space. This was an accidental byproduct of their zero-sleep project, which revealed a way to slow human metabolism and consciousness such that they would remain fully aware, but perceive time at 1/2000th the normal rate. This explains how they live "forever" and can travel between stars in "days", because they are calculated from the subjective perspective of someone living in S-Space. The Immortals' ability to make objects appear in their hands instantly, is just a result of service robots placing the object in their hand at normal speed, which is too fast to notice from the perspective of S-Space.”

In particular: “Scientist invent a sort of suspended animation where you are still conscious but you perceive time at 1/2000th the normal rate. This is called “S-Space”. So if your starship travels at 0.1c, it takes 40 years of normal time. But to a person in S-Space consciousness, it only seems like 7 days. Of course for an S-Space person to feel like the ship is under 1 g of acceleration, the ship actually only accelerates at 1/2000th g…”

1680561224028.png

Ah, I was going to suggest Forward's "The Flight of the Dragonfly' (or Rocheworld', same bookk but extended). Similar technology.