What is your favorite horror film?

The 1978 remake is equally good.

I haven't seen that one.

Overall, I'm not much into horror. I don't like gore or jump scares, and many horror movies feature very stupid characters. But I found Invasion of the Body Snatchers to be a very frightening and "believable" story - and it was told without a lot of the cheap horror tropes.

I still haven’t seen Invasion of the Body Snatchers. I must address that.

I have so many. Even so, I could almost cut and paste Victoria's here.

Silent era, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari is excellent, but I lean more toward Nosferatu.

Early talkies, I agree with The Black Cat, with honorable mention to The Mummy and The Bride of Frankenstein

1940s: The Body Snatchers and the original The Cat People (honorable mention to The Seventh Victim and The Leopard Man - all Val Lewton productions

Big Bug era: The Thing (From Another World) and Them

Psychological horror: Psycho (Hitchcock's later Frenzy is nothing to be sneezed at either)

Supernatural horror: The Haunting (honorable mention to The Autopsy of Jane Doe and The Changeling)

Hammer: Five Million Years to Earth (honorable mention, The Horror of Dracula ... and probably a bunch of others if I thought about it)

Slasher: Halloween -- for whatever reason, I can watch this again and again and be impressed with what an efficient and scary little horror movie it is

Some I've seen in the last 10 or so years I'd watch again include The Babadook, It Follows and A Quiet Place.

Just off the top of my head:
"In The Mouth Of Madness". John Carpenter horror classic with a touch of H.P.Lovecraft.
" The Cabin In The Woods". Not what it seems, very good, very original and keep an eye out for Sigourney Weaver. Same thing with "Paul", but that's a comedy.
" The Girl With All The Gifts". Excellent acting, very strong story and original ideas.
"Thirteen Ghosts" (2001). Not that scary but fairly interesting, well worth a view.
And now some goldie oldies:
"The Night Of The Demon". Interesting because you see the monster right at the start, very creepy, based off an M.R.James idea.
" Quatermass".
"Quatermass 2".
"Quatermass And The Pit". All worth a view, especially number three.
" Dead Of Night". Don't be a dummy and miss this one!
Also try out for a laugh: "Eight Legged Freaks" & "Evolution" for horror/comedy.
P.S. For creature horror the "Tremors" films aren't bad at all, first three are pretty good!

I haven't seen that one.

Overall, I'm not much into horror. I don't like gore or jump scares, and many horror movies feature very stupid characters. But I found Invasion of the Body Snatchers to be a very frightening and "believable" story - and it was told without a lot of the cheap horror tropes.

Kevin McCarthy the lead in the 1956 film, has a cameo in the 1978 film.

The Four Skulls of Johnathan Drake 1959 A very good and underrated B horror film.

That reminds me, "The Skull" (1965) staring Peter Cushing & Christopher Lee is pretty creepy, I think it's based off a story by Robert Bloch "The Skull Of The Marquis de Sade", well worth a look!

Have just remembered "Them!" (1954), a cracker of a creature feature, this time with radiation mutated giant ants, finishes in the storm drains of Los Angeles, great stuff a real goldie oldie.
Of course if ants were made to be that big in real life they would collapse under their own weight (inefficient exoskeleton) and suffocate (inefficient booklungs), however one can but dream (cue the maniacal laughter) !!!!!
P.S. I think "The Haunting" may be based off "The Haunting Of Hill House" by Shirley Jackson.
P.P.S. Not a horror film as such but has a horror element is the classic S.F. film "Forbbiden Planet" especially the scene when the crew battle with the creature, am a real fan of this movie as you can no doubt guess by looking at my emblem!

Last edited:
That reminds me, "The Skull" (1965) staring Peter Cushing & Christopher Lee is pretty creepy, I think it's based off a story by Robert Bloch "The Skull Of The Marquis de Sade", well worth a look!

Ive seen that one, Its a very good film. :)

I'm glad to see all the people here referencing In the Mouth of Madness. That movie is a slab of pure genius, a living nightmare with Lovecraftian entities oozing all around and just a bit out of full sight, which I think adds to their power since you see them just enough. When I saw this thread, I immediately thought of this movie. And, of course, John Carpenters other great achievement, The Thing, is a close second for me, and even a good metaphor for these covid times in a way since the creature acts like a giant virus and is difficult to detect.

Also Hellraiser, since it captures a solid hunk of Clive Barkers brilliant worlds behind worlds. The second one might even be better in some ways with it's full on view of Hell and the showing of how a cenobite is made. Sure, Hell looks like a big ol' matte painting (because it probably is), but in the context of the film, it hints at a pretty unsettling environment since it defies human logic.

I'm a fan of the Ginger Snaps series too since it presents the werewolf "curse" as a metaphor for the female menstrual cycle, along with the terrors of growing up (and sometimes apart from) people you may have once been close to. Plus Katherine Isabelle is hot.

And, A Nightmare on Elm Street, which features the hero we all want and need in the neverending fight against nasty, disobedient teenagers, Mr. Frederick Charles Krueger! There's a reason I've been the guy for four years straight on Halloween (maybe even five soon!)

Also, the Evil Dead series, especially the second film and Army of Darkness. They also showed us that horror can be funny! Plus Ash is so quotable. To this day, I still say "It's a trick, get an axe!" when something seems too good to be true.

Yeah, I love horror. My bedroom is actually horror movie themed, in fact......

I'm glad to see all the people here referencing In the Mouth of Madness. That movie is a slab of pure genius, a living nightmare with Lovecraftian entities oozing all around and just a bit out of full sight, which I think adds to their power since you see them just enough.

Yeah. I've only seen it once but it left an impression. I was annoyed with myself I'd forgotten it when I saw it mentioned after I posted.

I'm a fan of the Ginger Snaps series too since it presents the werewolf "curse" as a metaphor for the female menstrual cycle, along with the terrors of growing up (and sometimes apart from) people you may have once been close to. Plus Katherine Isabelle is hot.

I liked the first one and haven't seen the others yet. Just an FYI: see if you can find a collection or anthology with "Boobs" by Suzy McKee Charnas. It predates Ginger Snaps by quite a few years.

Yeah, I love horror. My bedroom is actually horror movie themed, in fact......

No, no, not at all creepy, that.

Randy M.:unsure:

"Boobs" is a good story if it 's the one I think it is, didn't like the bit where the girl gets her nose broken, as I was raised never to lay a finger on a woman!!!

Im surprised no one had mentioned the Film Black Sabbath 1963. An anthology horror movie with three really wonderful segments The Telephone, The Wurdalak , and The Drop of Water. They really don't make films like this anymore. (y) :cool:

Last edited:

Back