What is your favorite horror film?

immortalem

What is your favorite horror film? I have a few that are my absolute favorite and they are:

Pet Sementary 1 & 2
Exorcist
Interview with a Vampire
Bram Stroker's Dracula
Stephen King's Ths Stand

To star this list

The Sentinel 1977 a very underrated and creepy film with an interesting story premise . :)

I need to divide this up into eras and categories.

Of the silent era, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari stands out for me.

Of the 1930's Karloff/Lugosi era, the genuinely weird and creepy The Black Cat.

Of later films:

Best psychological horror: Psycho

Best supernatural horror: The Haunting

Best slasher: Black Christmas

Best giallo: Deep Red

You can tell I don't watch a lot of new films.

As much as I love The Thing, for horror it ends up being a 3-way tie between The Exorcist, The Omen and Hellraiser. Each one of those films chilled me to the bone when I first saw them.

The first two Omen films and Angel Heart come to mind. In general I liked the ones that had some Devil/Satan connection, I never got on with monster or haunted house films. I imagine I might like The Witch if I ever got .around to watching it.

There is a horror film that is so horrible that any who watches it is soon after found de

Poltergeist
Exorcist
Oh Whistle
Night of the Demon
Jaws
Alien and Aliens
The Thing
The Fog

I had to think if Jaws , Alien and The Thing were horror. Alien and The Thing could be sci-fi, but the space part is superficial; the aim is to frighten the watcher. So horror. Jaws is a tricky one - is it a monster flick (is monster horror?) it's a natural creature doing what comes naturally to it, although it is unnaturally intelligent and strong. But there are lots of frights in the movie, and some of the stuff that happens is really pretty frightening. So horror.

Favorites are the black and white horror movies because I enjoy watching them, unlike color movies that are made to squeeze the life out of me, or die trying. Too many to mention, but at the top of the list, I can always watch Them made in 1954.

Hell House from the book by Richard Matheson. Nice and spooky.

It Follows (2014)
Us (2019)
Cat People (1942)
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920)
Vampyr (1932)
The Evil Dead (1981)
Fright Night (1985)
The Lost Boys (1987)
Shaun of the Dead (2004)
It (miniseries--mostly for Tim Curry) (1990)
The Fly (1986)
1408 (2007)
The Mist (2007)
Halloween (1978)
The Bird With the Crystal Plumage (1970)
Psycho (1960)
The Thing (1982)
The Omen (1976)

The Omen (the original) scared me, the remake less so, but I still found it entertaining.
Alien. Just brilliant.
Salem’s Lot was pretty scary when I first saw it. (I was only a kid.)

Horror is really difficult to get right. Many movies now days relay on Jump scares, which aren‘t really horror.

X The Unknown 1956 on the best science fiction hammer ever produced and it also fits into the cagey or horror as well.
The Mill of the Stone Women 1960 This one one define must see.

I remember the Quatermass and the Pit terrified me as a kid.

Alot eally edgy creepy unsettling scenes it that film. I used turn away from the one scene in particular . The one where Colonel Breen who who is standing near the glowing Martian space capsule slowly burns to death. Even today that's a rough scene to watch.

If I had to create my own desert isle double feature it would probably be something like Robert Wise's The Haunting and The Horror Of Dracula with Christopher Lee.

Back