Shannara Series

Parsimony said:
Are you referring to Armagedon Children? A member at one of my forums posted a preview cover for the first book in this upcoming series and he claims that this is the next part of Shannara.
Well your member friend is 100% correct.

It's defintely the first book in the pre-shanara series due end of August and takes place approx 80 years from our current time on an Earth domniated by pollution and warfare.

Terry will make a further announcement about the book and future trends in this pre-shannara series on May 1 via his website, so watch that space.

OK folks, the first book of the pre-shannara trilogy Armageddon's Children is being released end of August. Here's a blurb:

Logan Tom is doomed to remember the past and determined to rescue the future. Far behind him lies a boyhood cut violently short by his family's slaughter, when the forces of madness and hate swept our world after decadent excesses led to civilization's downfall. Somewhere ahead of him rests the only chance to beat back the minions of evil that are systematically killing and enslaving the last remnants of humanity. Navigating the scarred and poisoned landscape that once was America and guided by a powerful talisman, Logan has sworn an oath to seek out a remarkable being born of magic, possessed of untold abilities, and destined to lead the final fight against darkness.

Across the country, Angel Perez, herself a survivor of the malevolent, death-dealing forces combing the land, has also been chosen for an uncanny mission in the name of her ruined world's salvation. From the devastated streets of Los Angeles, she will journey to find a place—and a people—shrouded in mystery, celebrated in legend, and vital to the cause of humankind . . . even as a relentless foe follows close behind, bent on her extermination.

While in the nearly forsaken city of Seattle, a makeshift family of refugees has carved out a tenuous existence among the street gangs, mutants, and marauders fighting to stay alive against mounting odds—and something unspeakable that has come from the shadows in search of prey.

In time, all their paths will cross. Their common purpose will draw them together. Their courage and convictions will be tested and their fates will be decided, as their singular crusade begins: to take back, or lose forever, the only world they have.

Interesting, the first thing I thought when I read this was that the landscape sounded almost like what would happen if the knights of the word failed in Brooks' "Word and the Void" series (well, with some differences). Seems as if we're going to get a nice break from the usual storylines, meaning this could be a very good book/series. Here's to hoping anyway. Nice job digging that up Gollum ;)

Frozeninja said:
Interesting, the first thing I thought when I read this was that the landscape sounded almost like what would happen if the knights of the word failed in Brooks' "Word and the Void" series (well, with some differences). Seems as if we're going to get a nice break from the usual storylines, meaning this could be a very good book/series. Here's to hoping anyway. Nice job digging that up Gollum ;)
Well it's part of Brook's atrempt to docmuent the fall of our world and fise of the Shannara landscape including establishment of the first druid council, rise of various races incl. elves, dwarfs etc....

Hello everyone, first post!

I must thank Terry Brooks Shannara series for introducing me to the fantasy genre about 4 years ago. I was attracted by the art (especially on "the Elfstones"). Now I have read the original trilogy, skipped out herritage, went straight onto the windship trilogy which I thoroughly enjoyed. He still is one of my favourite authors. I particularly enjoyed "The elfstones" of the books I have read. I have probably read the first 3 books 2 or 3 times and enjoyed them thoroughly. The windship trilogy was a nice twist which I enjoyed if a tad disappointed with its ending.

Alurny