4.19: In A Mirror, Darkly (Part II)

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
from Trek Today

Rumoured to feature the crew of the Mirror Enterprise discovering the Constitution-class starship U.S.S. Defiant, in the regular universe part of the Starfleet from Kirk's era.

Synopsis from StarTrek.com
After using the Defiant to repel a Tholian attack, the power-hungry Archer and Enterprise crew set about using this advanced ship to seize control of all of Earth's Terran Empire. As Archer takes full command of the Defiant and reviews the alternate history of Starfleet, his duplicitous lover Hoshi, a traitorous T'Pol and a reptilian Gorn stowaway hatch schemes of their own.

I'm not quite sure what to think about this part II.

Part I sort of impressed me, but Part II . . ?

It's sort of a let down. Maybe if I understood how it tied into the continuity better . . ?

As much of a fan of the general Mirror universe Trek episodes I don't quite remember the details. I'm sure the DS9 episodes that detailed the impact that good Kirk had on the Empire would be helpful.

I kind of expected more because of all the build up.

And the costume changes during the episode made little sense in most cases.

I agree, it could have been better. Archer had voices in his head, Hoshi would sleep with whoever could get her to the top, T'Pol wanted the perfect federation, Reed was power hungry, Phlox was sadistic, Trip was a pushover, and Travis was just kind there. How were they able to fix then fly a ship that was 100 years more advanced then anything they'd seen? I also don't like how it ended, very abrupt.
:blpaw:

Its an interesting idea to debate: would Archer really turn out with that diametrically opposite viewpoint under the different circumstances of the Terran Empire. Here he is racist, xenophobic and believes that men can only become great heroes by conquering the sub-human species. He is violent, has no scruples or even a concience. In the original Timeline, he is known as the greatest explorer of the 22nd Century. He is tolerant, and a peacemaker, and we have already seen how he single-handedly creates the Federation.

But he is the same man. There could have been different environmental factors in his upbringing, different influences in his childhood, but he would still have the same parents, and he had the same shipmates, so we can assume he had the same classmates and friends and authority figures. He is not simply following orders, he seems to really believe in what he is doing.

I'm not sure about the Vulcan sub-plot. Is it logical for Vulcans to serve in the Empire at all. (I realise that Spock already did.)

It was good to see the Constitution class ship, but the change of uniforms didn't make any sense. Not after they criticised them earlier for their poor fashion. What is Phlox wearing? He looks like Kryten out of Red Dwarf.

Also, if the Empire is so racist and xenophobic, why did it not crew ships solely with humans? There were even Orion Slave Girls in the crew!!

Archer's voices are not explained. The Gorn is not really explained.

Reed acted pretty stupid and deserved to get blown up.

Not as good as part one suggested it might be,

Less and less people post here every week. Soon I'll be on my own. :eek:

Originally posted by Dave
Less and less people post here every week. Soon I'll be on my own. :eek:
I come and read what you and whoever else might post have to say, but for me the series is over. I don't have much else to say... :(

Thanks for reading what I write, but feel free to disagree with me too.

One thing I've thought about this season now that it's on the final leg is that the show does seem to have lost direction.

In the first season they were exploring and everything was new, in the third season the Xindi threat gave a focus, but now they are just wandering without any set goals.

I do like the nods and winks to TOS that have been added, but sometimes they are trying to add too much -- "how many references to TOS aliens, planets and characters can we shoehorn into this episode?"

I enjoyed this season(all except the last episode *grumble grumble* ). I really like how they've focused on the characters a little more in this season. I've only watched TOS in re-runs and never really enjoyed it that much, so I don't always get the references. I suppose when I find something that you say very disagreeable then I'll let you know ;).

As episodes, this and the last are 'What the hell, We finish next week anyhow so do anything to fill the gap."

Within the context of the series it does not fit and you would have to wonder at the premise of the whole set up of the episode too.

If human's set out being that beligerent, even if the Vulcans had not done something about it, then our other neighbours; Andorans, Klingons etc who so far have better ships and armaments surely would have.

Then would come the question of where did all Star Fleet's ships and colonies come from?
In the more usual time line Star Fleets deep space vessels (the NX class?) can be counted on the fingers of one hand and they have made a point of mentioning this. Yet here they appear to have gathered together half of federation under their collective jackboot. Even if you give the Empire a fifty year start due to lack of Vulcan interference it really does not work.

I'm afraid this is an episode that simply does not balance. If the rest of the series had had a different feel, then perhaps it might work, but not here

Back