The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (2005)

Re: There is a Cast!

It was one of the funniest books I've read and hopefully the film will be just as good. Time to break out the Pan-Galactic Gargle Blasters :D

I bet it wont be a patch on the miniseries though. ;)

Hopefully they'll film it with the idea that it should be slightly cheesy and B Film-ish. Adams wrote it like that and it should be shown like that. If they take themselves too seriously it will just end up awful.

I enjoyed the mini but I've never seen the whole thing in one go, or even on consecutive nights. Over here they showed it on PBS in 15 minute installments during a money drive and it was maddening to watch it that way. I don't think there is a version available for sale anywhere (although it is hard to think that this may be so) but I could be wrong (although it is not hard to think that this may be so ;)) or I would save up some money and buy it for myself and not share with anyone...ok, maybe some people but not just anyone!

The miniseries is definitely available on both DVD and video I'm sure you'd find it in somewhere like Amazon.

I used to have the original radio show recording in vinyl (note for all youngsters: that's those big black things we used to put on a 'deck' and scratch with a needle) and, in a moment of utter madness, gave it away. Oh how we regret our past sometimes.

Ah, this is one I hope I don't miss! The cast so far seems quite cool. Martin Freeman certainly has that much put-upon look I'd always thought Dent would have. I don't think Ford Prefect's ethnicity (apart from, of course 'alien') is actually specified in the books and Mos Def looks like he'll bring a lot of life to the role. Zooey Deschannel looks so much like my mental image of Trillian when I first read the books (I was around 11/12 at the time) that it was almost uncanny.

I wonder who will play Zaphod, though. That's a toughie alright.

Foxbat said:
The miniseries is definitely available on both DVD and video I'm sure you'd find it in somewhere like Amazon.

I used to have the original radio show recording in vinyl (note for all youngsters: that's those big black things we used to put on a 'deck' and scratch with a needle) and, in a moment of utter madness, gave it away. Oh how we regret our past sometimes.
Thanks Foxbat - I'll have to find it and put it on my wishlist!

Re: An interview with the producer and director of the Hitchhikers Guide movie

I'm actually interested in seeing this - the original BBC TV series just didn't appeal to myself as a kid, and it's given me little impetous to actually ever sit and read the books. But perhaps it was merely the presentation.

Sounds good. I'm very glad that they finally got someone to do the thing and take it out of 'never-never land'.

So Brian, you've never read the book? Good grief man! How can you actually live your life without knowing the answer to life, the universe and everything? I rest better each night for knowing the answer and thank Deep Thought for giving it.

I know the answer, I just didn't figure on reading hundreds of pages just for 42. :)

The books are ok, but they do get a bit mixed up and weird for my liking eventually.

Well, yea, after the second book or so the plots do get rather dodgy, but I read them mainly for Adams's great gags.

The answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything never really mattered, it was the question that really bugged everyone. And we still don't know what the question was thanks to the Vorlons (Vorlons? Erm...) fluffing it up and destroying the Earth mere seconds before it's original purpose of finding the question to the answer of life, the universe, and everything. It's true that Arthur Dent and Ford Prefect got the question by utilising the human brain and the randomisation of scrabble letters plucked from the scrabble bag, but it was wrong! So, we only know a close approximation of the question. Even so, I'm not sure that it was even close due to the fact that it wouldn't take building Deep Thought to calcuate the answer from that question. So what is the question?

Read the books Brian, read the books. You really need to know about the Triple-Breasted Whore of Eroticon Six, and Agrajag (poor, poor Agrajag). And what about the origins of Cricket? Without reading the books, you will never know!

Read them now! Now!

NOW!

And read the Dirk Gently series too. :D

Ahdkaw said:
thanks to the Vorlons (Vorlons? Erm...)
Vogons. Nasty poetry-spouting interspace expressway builders...probably wear their pants halfway down their bums and show everyone their green, wart-infested bottoms. Oops, sorry for the stereotype there, couldn't resist!
Ahdkaw said:
You really need to know about the Triple-Breasted Whore of Eroticon Six, and Agrajag (poor, poor Agrajag). And what about the origins of Cricket? Without reading the books, you will never know!
And what about the whale? And Slartibartfast and his fiddly bits? And the restaurant at the end of the universe. And doors that thank you for giving them the pleasure of serving you...and why you should always carry a towel around. And why nobody wants to be drunk...

Re: Hitchiker's Movie updates

I have to admit to quite enjoying the TV series. I hope they don't mess up this one. :)