Looking for a book please help

Lil

About 10 years ago I read a book, and now I can't remember it's name. Maybe you guys can help me out!

Everyone on a ship is frozen to get to a new planet, but one little boy wakes up (No, it's not Coyote because the little boy doesn't die before everyone wakes up) and the computer refuses to let him go back to sleep because he's a child and has no authority over the program, it also won't let him wake anyone up. He plays chess with the computer, I remember that much.
(cont. next post)

When they get to the planet and everyone wakes up he is an old man. The planet they land on is filled with really beautiful children, some that look exactly like the children of the settlers before him. It ends up that the aliens (who are the beautiful children) lay children on this clay table and steal their forms, killing them in the process. The only thing that they make on their own is perfect teeth, so they keep the original children's teeth and jangle them in their pockets like dice.
The lead little boy alien is evidently the mother of his race (so to speak) and goes out into space and explodes, sending his eggs (which are spores) to millions of other planets across the galexy.

Someone please help me it's driving me NUTS not knowing what the title is!!! Thank you!!

Got to say it is not a book I remember reading, so I think we are going to need some more clues.

Is it a full novel, or a short story? (Short storieas are almost impossible to trace unless somebody remembers reading it:().

Does the book start from leaving Earth, or from when the boy wakes up?

Can you remember any of the characters (or places) names?

Any of these answered will help (all is better) and give us a little more to feed Google. And remembering them might even mean you remember the title yourself ;)

Good luck

Sorry, it's not something that I've read either (and to tell the truth I'm not very good at these queries.)

Is it a children's book; given to read at school?

I was about 8 or 9 years old when I read it, but I got it from the science fiction section of the library (i.e. *not* a kid's book).
I've tried searching for it many times with no luck.
It was quite a thick book, I remember picking it because it was big and I was about to leave on vacation with my family.
I do not believe it started on earth. I think it was narrated by the boy who woke up as an old man, reflecting on what happened.
Sorry but it was 10 years ago, i'm fuzzy on everything except some of the key things that creeped me out at the time (the boy waking up from cryogenic sleep and not being able to get help, the aliens rattling the teeth like dice, the clay table that envelopes and makes an alien copy of a human, the eventual spore explosion of the "mother" of the race) considering the main characters were the children (that I do remember, because they were the one the aliens cared about) it might have been a young adult book... but again, I *do* remember it being rather large, so perhaps not.