Butcher, Jim - Furies of Calderon

Highlander II

There can be only one!!
Book 1 in the Codex Alera series is Furies of Calderon -

I don't know a whole lot about the book, since I haven't finished reading it yet, but, so far, it's pretty interesting.

It's a fantasy series that's he's been working on, and he's said that there may be 4 or 5 books to this one. We'll have to see.

Book 2 - Academ's Fury - is set to release July 2005 -

Keep watching this space... ;)

Ive read the first book and quite enjoyed it, though not as much as his Dresden Files series. I think thats because there were too many main characters viaing for space in the plot line. However, i do intend to get the 2nd book :D

I haven't been quite able to get into the Furies series yet. I have both of the first books - tho I can't seem to locate my copy of one of them - and I may get around to reading them, but I'm totally hooked on Dresden right now, so grabbing other things is kinda tough. ;)

I've read the first two books, though I haven't got round to posting reviews on my blog yet. I enjoyed them, but not as much as the Dresden books.

I think the problem may be that Butcher's style has a lot of modern sensibilities to it and so his fantasy work doesn't ring quite as true to me.

But they're still a fun read, don't get me wrong.

This is randomly off-topic, but is it wrong that I think your avatar looks like a purple-haired Jim Butcher giving the 'live long and prosper' sign?

Heh, kind of funny really. I used to work for a web development company a few years ago when I was still living in Scotland. When I moved over to the US, the resident artist drew a cartoon of me. They knew I liked sci-fi, so the Spock ears etc.

I liked it so much that I've been using it ever since, though the original was much bigger with a lot of detail that's lost on the little avatar version.

The purple is a sort of space background. Sadly I don't have anything like as much hair as Jim Butcher. :)

Eoghann said:
Heh, kind of funny really. I used to work for a web development company a few years ago when I was still living in Scotland. When I moved over to the US, the resident artist drew a cartoon of me. They knew I liked sci-fi, so the Spock ears etc.

I liked it so much that I've been using it ever since, though the original was much bigger with a lot of detail that's lost on the little avatar version.

The purple is a sort of space background. Sadly I don't have anything like as much hair as Jim Butcher. :)

Heh - the only person I've seen with as much hair as Jim Butcher is Michael Greenberg (exec producer of MacGyver and Stargate SG-1). ;)

*sorta swinging back OT*

Still haven't read Furies of Calderon yet. Maybe I'll get there. But I think the reason I have a hard time getting into it - it's so prose-heavy, with lots of flowing descriptions of things - it gets a *little* bogged in detail. Not that that's bad - I'm just not a 'high fantasy' reader. I tried JRRT - couldn't do it. "The Hobbit" bored me to tears - and I tried to read it nearly 15 times. Never got farther then about page 20.

Highlander II said:
Still haven't read Furies of Calderon yet. Maybe I'll get there. But I think the reason I have a hard time getting into it - it's so prose-heavy, with lots of flowing descriptions of things - it gets a *little* bogged in detail. Not that that's bad - I'm just not a 'high fantasy' reader. I tried JRRT - couldn't do it. "The Hobbit" bored me to tears - and I tried to read it nearly 15 times. Never got farther then about page 20.

Well Furies isn't really high-fantasy. I'm always a little vague on the correct fantasy sub-genres (due to not really caring what label people want to stick on a book), but it's definitely too fast paced for that and a little too grounded too I think.

However I think it's inevitable that fantasy books get bogged down with a lot of description. We are talking about an alien world after all and the author can't assume knowledge in the way they can when the story is set in say... Chicago.

Yes, I understand needing some sort of description of things - but when it gets into 'too much' - it turns me off. I can't say that Furies does that - I haven't read enough of it, but I just haven't been in the right 'mind set' for reading the fantasy genre. Dresden I'm good with - but still working to get into 'Furies mode'.