1.04: Thirty-Eight Minutes

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
Creating new thread. Use spoilers for future episodes.

The Atlantis team is in danger of losing its best, when a puddle jumper becomes lodged in the Stargate. To make matters worse, an alien insect has attached itself to Major Sheppard, slowly draining his life force . It's a race against time with only 38 minutes before the gate shuts down.

This episode was cool, the effect of the puddle jumper stuck between the stargate was very cool. :D It was entertaining and have great humor.

Krystal :p

This was a great little 'bottle' show that really built some of the characters, and even introduced some new ones. It did throw up some questions and ideas from me though.

I liked seeing Dr. Cavanagh and Dr. Zelinkha but I hope we continue to see them and they don't make the mistake of 'Star Trek: Voyager'. In much the same way, Atlantis itself is a huge 'locked room'. There are a limited number of people from Earth that can appear or die (and an unspecified number of Athosians), and a limited number of 'puddle jumpers' that may or may not be repaired. They've already killed off Col. Sumner and blown the back off one jumper.

Secondly, 'Stargate SG-1' just made a big point in 'Lockdown' about the Russians not being involved in the program even though they were promised. Yet on 'Atlantis' we see all nationalities. McKay is Canadian, Zelinkha is Czech. So why was the 'Atlantis' expedition the only multinational one?

I noticed that this is the second (or third) orbital stargate they've discovered in Pegasus, but back in the Milky Way I only remember one. I wonder why that is (apart from the real reason of the SGC not having a puddle jumper that is)

I've wondered why the Ancients built the City of Atlantis on a Waterworld. They are advanced humans, yes? Not fish-people anyway! But the bug creature was said to be a primitive-Wraith-evolutionary-relation and it had a very strong reaction to the salt water solution. So I was thinking that maybe there was a military advantage to building Atlantis in the middle of a salt water ocean.

This series is very different to 'Stargate SG-1'. Again their was much more humour in this episode including the old 'Cling-on' joke and McKay's antics, and I'm not sure there would ever be so much medical and wormhole related techno-babble in an original series episode.

Originally posted by Dave
I noticed that this is the second (or third) orbital stargate they've discovered in Pegasus, but back in the Milky Way I only remember one. I wonder why that is (apart from the real reason of the SGC not having a puddle jumper that is)

It was the original orbital stargate around the Wraith planet.

The team had returned on a recon mission to find out what was happening. what they found was the Wraith mothership which was overgrown with a forest to have launched and dissapeared.

:)

Ranger

Originally posted by RangerOne SG13 SOR
It was the original orbital stargate around the Wraith planet.

The team had returned on a recon mission to find out what was happening. what they found was the Wraith mothership which was overgrown with a forest to have launched and dissapeared.

Okay I understand that part now, my apologies to them.

Good idea for an ep, nothing's ever got stuck on the SGC gate before, well not like this [of course there was that time Teal'c got stuck in the DHD buffer wasn't it?]. ;)

Dave,

On your miltinational theme, Groden isn't American either.

And i suppose one reason why there is such a global presence on the Atlantis project is the fact that the SGC still maintains control of Earth's gate, i could easily see it as some concession or an agreement between the world's nations, American comes under external pressure to let other countries play a part and what could be a better carrot for them than a joint mission in search of the Ancients etc

Unless they've already scanned the planets surface i think they could do some exploring clsoer to home maybe, it might be worth an episode.

It's also a big galaxy out there, i'm waiting for us to come iinto contact with either other Athosians/human descendents or aliens friendly or otherwise.

Finally i feel there's a lot of scope in the relationship between Dr Weir and that scientist who appeared to be more concerned about his own ass than those on the puddle jumper, can't remember his name [I'll go watch the recording in a minute] :D.

thanks

Nick, :cool:

Originally posted by Nick 0208 Ldn
i feel there's a lot of scope in the relationship between Dr Weir and that scientist who appeared to be more concerned about his own ass than those on the puddle jumper, can't remember his name

He was Cavanagh.